building a snare drum *UPDATED 3/6/07*

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Mon May 28, 2007 11:41 pm

my first snare:

Image

my first kit:

Image

my second kit (minus bass drum):

Image

been way too busy (or is it lazy?) to upload photos of the stuff i've done recently.
User avatar
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1313
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:24 pm
Location: TX

Post Tue May 29, 2007 10:03 am

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:precision and drummaker will do holes and edges for you, but they'll charge you. if memory serves correctly, it's fairly expensive as well...

john at american drum parts will do bearing edges, holes, snare beds... all that crap for FREE if you buy the shell and the hardware from him. in the end, i found he's much cheaper to go through.

good luck. it's a lot of fun... and it can be addicting.


Yeah, I've been looking into this for a long time now, comparing prices, parts selection, etc. and drumfoundry is quite a bit more expensive than AMDrumparts. And drumfoundry will only cut edges, not drill lug/mount holes (which AMD does for free and most others charge for). Also, AMD recently added a whole bunch of new acrylic colors and complete drums are very reasonable. BTW nice kits, sarcasm.
yee freakin' haw
User avatar
Gazdkw82§
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:30 am
Location: england

Post Tue May 29, 2007 2:47 pm

aarrggg!!!! i think its an alien thing for someone in the uk to even think about building your own drum...........i cant find any decent place that i can get all the parts
AJ_FAITH
beginner
beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:52 am
Location: greensborough, australia

Post Wed May 30, 2007 2:07 am

dude your kits you made are fuckin awsome haha

nice work
<a href="http://imageshack.us"><img src="http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7013/machineheadhaedheadtu6.jpg" border="0" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us"></a>
AJ_FAITH
beginner
beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:52 am
Location: greensborough, australia

Post Thu May 31, 2007 4:19 am

ey guys, have 2 designs, just photoshoped over the top of the real snare body

1st pic, a raw shell

Image

2nd pic, design 1

wood stained

Image

and 3rd pic, design 2

Image

more coming. lemme know wat u think

adam
<a href="http://imageshack.us"><img src="http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7013/machineheadhaedheadtu6.jpg" border="0" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us"></a>
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Thu May 31, 2007 8:09 am

AJ_FAITH wrote:ey guys, have 2 designs, just photoshoped over the top of the real snare body

1st pic, a raw shell

Image

2nd pic, design 1

wood stained

Image

and 3rd pic, design 2

Image



more coming. lemme know wat u think

adam


hey man, not to be discouraging but...

both those finishes are going to be tricky unless you're mighty experienced with an airbrush. especially the second one. i haven't tried my hand at fades yet, but i've seen it done and to get a nice even fade takes a TON of practice.

i'd stick with something basic. one solid color. at least for your first drum...

and as a p.s. - don't paint / stain the inside of the shell or the bearing edges.
AJ_FAITH
beginner
beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:52 am
Location: greensborough, australia

Post Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:27 pm

haha nah man all good, i totally changed the sceme haha,

what i did, paint a kinda creamy colour, wiht black stripes haha

all the lugs and hoops are all painted gloss black, looks killer haha

pic 1:

Image

pic 2:

Image

pic 3:

Image


if you guys like it, i will post some more pics :D

later
<a href="http://imageshack.us"><img src="http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7013/machineheadhaedheadtu6.jpg" border="0" alt="Image Hosted by ImageShack.us"></a>
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:21 am

did you actually do that? or is that what you want to do?

if you already did it, walk us through the process... where'd you end up getting your stuff from?
User avatar
Northdrums
beginner
beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:59 pm

Here's a pic of my new snare from drummaker.com Just picked it up yesterday.<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w152/northdrums/mywalnutsnare.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>
"How much for your women?"
The Blues Brothers
dtenor
beginner
beginner
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:38 pm

that drum is incredible! i always think that wood is naturally beautiful with the grains and stuff

what do you think of the wood hoops though. Do rimshots damage them at all?
6 peice Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouvoeu
Sabian AA's all around
Yamaha hardware except for DW 7000's
Working on a custom piccolo snare (please, i need advice)
User avatar
bodiesablaze805
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: c-a-l-i-f-o-r-n-i-a

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:50 pm

here is one i just finished:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v485/davey_havok_01/?action=view&current=SAMSNARE.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/davey_havok_01/SAMSNARE.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
Creature Drum Co. Kit
20x24, 12x6, 15x13
Ghost Black Satin Stain w/ Brass Hardware

14x7 Hybrid Snare (Green Glitter/Clear Acrylic) {STOLEN}
User avatar
bodiesablaze805
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: c-a-l-i-f-o-r-n-i-a

Post Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:56 pm

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:my first snare:

Image

my first kit:

Image

my second kit (minus bass drum):

Image

been way too busy (or is it lazy?) to upload photos of the stuff i've done recently.



do my eyes deceive me? or does the left( if your looking from BEHIND the kit) bass spur look TOO far back? the right one looks farther up and in a more correct place. but it could also be the picture lol IDK
Creature Drum Co. Kit
20x24, 12x6, 15x13
Ghost Black Satin Stain w/ Brass Hardware

14x7 Hybrid Snare (Green Glitter/Clear Acrylic) {STOLEN}
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:32 pm

bodiesablaze805 wrote:do my eyes deceive me? or does the left( if your looking from BEHIND the kit) bass spur look TOO far back? the right one looks farther up and in a more correct place. but it could also be the picture lol IDK


your eyes deceive you. the bass drum is turned slightly.
User avatar
bodiesablaze805
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:05 am
Location: c-a-l-i-f-o-r-n-i-a

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:20 pm

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:
bodiesablaze805 wrote:do my eyes deceive me? or does the left( if your looking from BEHIND the kit) bass spur look TOO far back? the right one looks farther up and in a more correct place. but it could also be the picture lol IDK


your eyes deceive you. the bass drum is turned slightly.



ahhh thank you for clearing up the confusion! i didnt think that you would do that, but it just looked that way! AGAIN, a very nice kit! what are the sizes?
Creature Drum Co. Kit
20x24, 12x6, 15x13
Ghost Black Satin Stain w/ Brass Hardware

14x7 Hybrid Snare (Green Glitter/Clear Acrylic) {STOLEN}
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:35 pm

bodiesablaze805 wrote:
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:
bodiesablaze805 wrote:do my eyes deceive me? or does the left( if your looking from BEHIND the kit) bass spur look TOO far back? the right one looks farther up and in a more correct place. but it could also be the picture lol IDK


your eyes deceive you. the bass drum is turned slightly.



ahhh thank you for clearing up the confusion! i didnt think that you would do that, but it just looked that way! AGAIN, a very nice kit! what are the sizes?


the sizes on the kit are: 20x14, 12x7, 14x14

i've since built a 10x7, 13x10 & 16x15 to go with it.