Is it logical?

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Is it logical?

Postby Rufio32 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:51 pm

So I just bought a new ddrum dominion series 7 x 13 snare drum. I do know that its finish was painted on. Would it be logical to sand it down and put a new finish on it? If I were to do so, I know that I could paint it or stain in, but I'd have no idea how to go about doing that. Do I have any other options? Could I go through a company and professionally get a new finish? I'm not totally sure if I want to make a change or not. I just wanted some feedback. Any suggestions? Comments? Thanks everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Is it logical?

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Is it logical?

Postby Timekeep69 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Leave it. You would pretty much need to sand off the outer ply. It's more effort than it's worth.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby Empyrean Drums » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:25 pm

If you have no idea what you are doing, leave it. Practice finishing on a less valuable piece of similar wood, like a piece of plywood/base board/crown molding.
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Postby Rufio32 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:34 pm

I like the idea of trying it on a piece of plywood before i try anything on a snare drum. Besides I would have no idea what I'd want it to look like anyways. So thanks guys.
I HEART THRICE
Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby johnisonfire » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:36 pm

I saw that on Ebay and thought about bidding on it. Then I realized that I could get a Keller 10 ply shell in that same size for $40 and do my own edges/beds and finish.

My advice to you, is to leave it. PJ is right about having to pretty much go through the first ply to sand off the material and that will ruin the shell. If you're that adamant about changing it, scuff sand with 220 grit sandpaper, and apply 2-3 coats of primer and then paint something on it, then add several coats of polyurethane, progressively sanding with higher grit paper between every coat of clear. It's about a 2 week process because you've got to wait like 24 hours between every coat of poly.

So your options are really, Leave it and buy it some hardware, paint it, or buy a Keller shell if you want a stained/dye finish.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby 1wiseplayer » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:48 am

You can do what you want, but in my opinion, since it is new...
leave it alone until it gets kinda worn down, then you can change the paint.
If you find it kinda boring now, stickers are cool.
It looks good to me...
1wiseplayer
new
new

Return to Masterworks