Suitcase drumkit

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Suitcase drumkit

Postby rigemeister » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:23 pm

I live in the middle of nowhere, and own a large kit, so I've always been longing for second, inexpensive, portable drumset that I could lug over to friends' houses to jam. In the December issue of Modern Drummer (Lars Ulrich cover), the featured kit of the month was a suitcase drumset, which really appealed to me. Basically it's a suitcase converted into a tunable kick drum, and the awesome part is that the suitcase can hold the rest of the set. This would be ideal for me!
So I was wondering if anyone of you owns or have heard a suitcase kick before, and could tell me how it sounds?
And does anyone know how to build a set like this, and the ideal dimensions/material of the suitcase?
Thanks.
rigemeister
beginner
beginner

Suitcase drumkit

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Suitcase drumkit

Postby Lancelot Frosty » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:58 am

Sounds a lot like a Yamaha Hip Gig...
Was it this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7wlkxhF_aw
Because it looks like all he did was attach a pedal to a suitcase somehow. :lol:
Original Frosty.
Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Postby johnisonfire » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:40 am

I don't know about a suitcase drum set, but you can build a drum set like this, or do it to an existing set if you have the right tools for it (table saw, router, router bits, drill).

http://www.drummersworld.com/dsp/images ... rticle.pdf

There's an article and picture about it. It's pretty much a drumset with all the shells split in half. The edges of the shell that meet are tongue-in-grooved cut by a router and then there are some heavy duty latches to hold all the drums together. All the shells except for the small tom are split and the drums nest inside on another. Has to be a 2" difference or more in tom sizes though because i suspect the lugs on a 12" tom will prevent it from nesting inside a 13" shell.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Lancelot Frosty » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:10 am

You could go with John's suggestion.
If you really want a suitcase for a kick, then bolt a metal plate onto the bottom of the suitcase so you can put your pedal onto the plate, just like a kick hoop... :?
Original Frosty.
Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Postby rigemeister » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Those halved shells do look pretty cool, and I might have to consider looking into that.
I actually have seen that suitcase drumset vid, but the difference between that one and the one I saw in MD was that the MD kick was tunable... the guy had taken a large suitcase, cut a hole in it, and fitted 2" of a 16" tom shell onto it, with a head and everything.
rigemeister
beginner
beginner

Postby Lancelot Frosty » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:53 am

rigemeister wrote:Those halved shells do look pretty cool, and I might have to consider looking into that.
I actually have seen that suitcase drumset vid, but the difference between that one and the one I saw in MD was that the MD kick was tunable... the guy had taken a large suitcase, cut a hole in it, and fitted 2" of a 16" tom shell onto it, with a head and everything.

So the suitcase was actually a drum?
Well. I can't help you there, then...
Sensibly speaking, you have to find a way to fit the tom shell onto the suitcase, but I have no experience with any thing along those lines. :?
Original Frosty.
Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Postby wonder1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:10 pm

May be this DIY mini-kit project can give a little help!I just attached a 10"Drum head plus 2"drum shell(cut!)to a Box's body.The whole kit is very small & light to carry around for gigs! :D
wonder1
beginner
beginner

Postby wonder1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:17 pm

This also another DIY drum-kits!I attached a 6",8" as tom.The 10"(middle)as snare(home-made Snare wire attached)The picture show here is a Fixed hi-hat.I do use cable-hat too.
wonder1
beginner
beginner

Postby wonder1 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:28 pm

If you like normal mini-kits.you may consider this mini-kits.It's my 16"Floor tom convert to 16x12 mini kick.I cut the 13"tom into 2,so that I can have one snare(single-headed with a snare-wire attached)the other 13 as floor-tom.The 10" become small tom!OK!I replace the 16"kick head with a thin plywood(front head!)at 1st,is only for fun,didn't know that it turn out looks very cute,so far,it didn't effect or change the kick's sound!
I don't sell drum.....all this kits are my weekend DIY fun project
wonder1
beginner
beginner

Postby galgano16 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:17 pm

Just buy the pearl rhytym traveler kit, and u'll b set...
Ignorance is a clear indication of a severe lack of intelligence-me
METAL 4EVER!!!!
http://www.myspace.com/ngkillsu
http://www.myspace.com/zombiesforgore
http://www.myspace.com/deception102
galgano16
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Masterworks