I got bored so....

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:03 pm

How did you learn how to do this? Just practice?
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:17 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:How did you learn how to do this? Just practice?

Started with a keller shell I bought off ebay. Some guy painted it red. I experimented with how the router and router bit worked. tried different bit heights. What started with a 5.5x14 shell ended up being 4 7/8" x 14 becuase i just kept messing with it and cut new and different edges. Now it's got dual 45's with the bearing edge right in the middle of the shell thickness. Snare side is ultra sharp and and i flattened the sharp apex on the batter side with a few turns around on the sanding table. Then i took sandpaper and smoothed out the 45 degree bevels. sanded up to 600 grit and added a few applications of paste wax. The edge is so perfect and smooth it's crazy.

Dude, cutting bearing edges isn't as bad as you think it is. Snare beds can be a bit tricky but there are ways to make two identical snare beds on a shell. If you mess up cutting bearing edges, you can easily recover and just re-cut the edges (if you're okay with the shell being about 1/8" shorter than it was before. shouldn't make a difference.) When it comes to finishing or staining, or clear coating, one bad mistake can ruin the shell, which is why bearing edges are my fave thing to do. Wrapping drums is cool too because it's like "instant finish" vs. 20 coats of lacquer applied one coat a day.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:19 pm

Haha, that bearing edge explanation makes no sense yet. I must research!
Timekeep69

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:32 pm

The trick to bearing edges is to make sure that the shell is 100% true and flat. You can have the best edge cut but if theres a gap between the shell and head it sounds like crap.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!