I got bored so....

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

I got bored so....

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:56 am

Last night I had nothing to do so I logged onto DML and checked out the build your own drums section. 10 minutes later I had begun taking apart the awful First Act drum set I got from Walmart when I first started playing. I decided to take it apart, remove the wrap and refinish it. I'm in the process of staining it right now. I'm also going to paint all the hardware and paint a nice red stripe through the middle of each shell.

I'll have pictures tonight or tomorrow. It's not going to look great for a couple reasons

-It was very poorly machined
-The wood just isn't up to par for natural finishes
-I'm 14 (that's a big reason)
-The wrap finish decided to take some of the wood from my snare with it
-I'm not excellent at staining

I'm just doing it for fun
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
User avatar
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

I got bored so....

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!
 

Re: I got bored so....

Postby Berkowitz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:29 am

im ready to se it :]
Hi, I'm Ryan and I proudly use: Pdp, DW, Evans, Saluda and Vic Firth.
Berkowitz
drumming adept
drumming adept
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Tifton, Ga

Re: I got bored so....

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:16 am

the files too big to upload =(
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
User avatar
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

Re: I got bored so....

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:18 am

Image

It doesn't show up for me. Can anyone else see it?
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
User avatar
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

Re: I got bored so....

Postby Timekeep69 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:46 am

I think it won"t show up because your myspace profile is set to private.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
User avatar
Timekeep69
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: I got bored so....

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:06 pm

Heyyyyy, I'm 14 and have successfully made 1 snare, 1 octoban, and 1 tom. And I'm in the process of making 2 more snares, so age doesn't matter. I made my first snare when I was only 13. Just decided to start early so I'll be really good when I am older.
Image
User avatar
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: Earth

Re: I got bored so....

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:53 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:I think it won"t show up because your myspace profile is set to private.


I'm looking at my settings right now and nothing is set to private.
But i think I got it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
User avatar
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

Re: I got bored so....

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:Heyyyyy, I'm 14 and have successfully made 1 snare, 1 octoban, and 1 tom. And I'm in the process of making 2 more snares, so age doesn't matter. I made my first snare when I was only 13. Just decided to start early so I'll be really good when I am older.


Yeah that's what I'm doing.
How do you make the drums? Do you order the parts and assemble them? That's what I'm going to do
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
User avatar
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

Re: I got bored so....

Postby Timekeep69 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:33 pm

It depends on what you want to do. I build drums professionally.

You can do it one of two ways.

1. Assembly: alot of drum suppliers will cut the shell and bearing edge and then drill the lug holes for you as long as you buy the lugs from them. A couple will even wrap the drum for you as well. All you have to do is put it all together.

2. build a drum: you can order the shell to size but cut the bearing edges, drill the holes and finish it yourself. There's a lot of room for screw ups but you actually build the drum yourself.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
User avatar
Timekeep69
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3403
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: I got bored so....

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:43 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:It depends on what you want to do. I build drums professionally.

You can do it one of two ways.

1. Assembly: alot of drum suppliers will cut the shell and bearing edge and then drill the lug holes for you as long as you buy the lugs from them. A couple will even wrap the drum for you as well. All you have to do is put it all together.

2. build a drum: you can order the shell to size but cut the bearing edges, drill the holes and finish it yourself. There's a lot of room for screw ups but you actually build the drum yourself.


Yeah I saw that you build for Medicine Man. You're pretty close to God on the forums :mrgreen:

But since I'm 14 and don't own or have the experience to operate any of the machinery required to drill and cut the shells I'm just gonna order everything predrilled and cut. I'd rather not have them do antyhing else since I want to do as much work as I'm capable of doing.

For instance, yesterday and today I took my old Pearl forum snare, removed the wrap and all the hardware, gave it a couple coats of stain, reassmbled everything with parts from other old snares I have and now it looks 100% different. It looks amazing in person, but when I take pictures of it it looks bleh from some reason
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
User avatar
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

Re: I got bored so....

Postby johnisonfire » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:23 pm

www dot ghostnote dot net

Drum building forum. You'll learn tons, just do a lot of reading at first without posting much (except for the occasional "nice snare"). They're a bit rough around the edges, especially with noobs.

You will learn alot, seriously.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

Re: I got bored so....

Postby metldrummer2112 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:25 pm

johnisonfire wrote:www dot ghostnote dot net

Drum building forum. You'll learn tons, just do a lot of reading at first without posting much (except for the occasional "nice snare"). They're a bit rough around the edges, especially with noobs.

You will learn alot, seriously.


Thanks man. I don't think I'd be considered a noob since I've already done a couple drums. But hey you never know
"Slaughter and Salvation, we bore two irreconcilable focuses."

"We dare speak the word, King Of Those Who Know."
User avatar
metldrummer2112
groove master
groove master
 
Posts: 1905
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Elizabethtown, PA

Re: I got bored so....

Postby johnisonfire » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:38 pm

metldrummer2112 wrote:
johnisonfire wrote:www dot ghostnote dot net

Drum building forum. You'll learn tons, just do a lot of reading at first without posting much (except for the occasional "nice snare"). They're a bit rough around the edges, especially with noobs.

You will learn alot, seriously.


Thanks man. I don't think I'd be considered a noob since I've already done a couple drums. But hey you never know


That's cool. You should post some of your work. I've just gotten into building/refinishing this year. Most of the stuff on ghostnote is stave and a lot of exotic woods with clear finishes. There's some good info there.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

Re: I got bored so....

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:35 pm

metldrummer2112 wrote:
Cheerful-Bear wrote:Heyyyyy, I'm 14 and have successfully made 1 snare, 1 octoban, and 1 tom. And I'm in the process of making 2 more snares, so age doesn't matter. I made my first snare when I was only 13. Just decided to start early so I'll be really good when I am older.


Yeah that's what I'm doing.
How do you make the drums? Do you order the parts and assemble them? That's what I'm going to do


I get shells with edges cut. Then I finish, drill, and put the hardware on. I'll eventually learn how to do edges and beds.
Image
User avatar
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master
 
Posts: 1066
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:05 pm
Location: Earth

Re: I got bored so....

Postby johnisonfire » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:10 am

Cheerful-Bear wrote:I'll eventually learn how to do edges and beds.


It's so worth it dude. Drumfoundry sells shells without edges/beds so cheap that I spend $110 on a router, two bits, MDF and 2x4's and started doing my own edges. After three Keller shells you end up making back the money. Plus, you can experiment with different edges. The problem with pre-done edges is if you want to change the edges for some reason, or have to re-do them due to damage then it's nearly impossible without investing in the stuff that you should have beforehand. The router set up is definitely a must for someone with any building aspirations. Especially you because I know you still want (or wanted to) start a company some day.

Bearing edges and snare beds are actually my favorite part of drum building besides playing something I built.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

Next

Return to Masterworks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests