Converting a hanging tom to a floor tom

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby AgDrumma07 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:44 am

I have a 14x16 hanging tom that I'm going to convert to a floor tom with legs. Anybody done this?

It's a Rockstar tom with a wrapped finish. Honestly, I don't even know where to begin. I've pretty much got the spots lined up where I want the brackets to go. Here are some of my questions:

How far up from the bottom should the brackets go?
What's the best method for drilling holes?
AgDrumma07
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby johnisonfire » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:02 am

On my Ludwigs the floor tom mounts are about 5" from the resonant edge of the shell. 4-6" would work given you have the standard 21" or so long legs.

Best method for drilling? Use use a brad point bit or a Unibit. I've even used a 1/4" spade bit with success. The main thing to remember is to "punch" a starter hole with a nail or a punch tool and to have something clamped behind it to prevent blowout. I clamp a 1x2 inside the drum shell. using a punch helps keep the bit from "walking" during the beginning of drilling the hole.

Or if you're ever in the Austin area come to Round Rock and I can drill them for you. :mrgreen:
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Assback » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

i posted a thread about converting a free floating tom to a floor tom too. someone suggested i look into buying this. i still havent gotten around to buying one but it looks like it'd work perfect for my situation, and possibly yours. take a look and see what you think. personally, id rather try this than drill holes into my drum

http://www.precisiondrum.com/DSS_Basket.jpg

the above item is off this site. click the link and scroll about 3/4 down the page and you'll be able to see the specs and options

http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/body_parts.html#dss
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Postby AgDrumma07 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:00 am

Ass back (nice name...haha) I've looked into those and they are definitely a great idea. However, I am 100% on this and want to make my drum a permanent drum with legs. Thanks!
AgDrumma07
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Assback » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:49 am

for sure. do what ur gonna do my man
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Return to Masterworks