Ideas for Snare

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby zen_drummer » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:42 am

Cheerful-Bear wrote:lol I'm just kidding

Not gonna work...

You're giving advice like an expert would, and you know NOTHING about the craft.

Knock it off.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Kaos » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:43 pm

The 60 min epoxy works really well to put the pieces of shell together. As for acrylic shells I would go with the RCI shell becouse they don't use the ugly seam tab. Thats my preferance anyway. I usually use a 45 degree angle to join the pieces it gives maximum glueing surface. I've got one in the shop now that I'm working on Ill try and get some pics up.
Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby kplante069 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:
Timekeep69 wrote:
!CALEB! wrote:It shouldn't be that hard. I would need to cut the shell in half, Use an epoxy resin as well as create a step or rebate in the two shell sections for them to overlap on and join the shells, then wait for the epoxy to dry, then put the lugs on.

That's exactly what you do.

You can really do it both ways. Whatever works for you. I'd just rather never put epoxy on my drums. That's just me.

WOW! Trying to contradict Timekeep! That's some balls!!!
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby zen_drummer » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:27 pm

kplante069 wrote:
Cheerful-Bear wrote:
Timekeep69 wrote:
!CALEB! wrote:It shouldn't be that hard. I would need to cut the shell in half, Use an epoxy resin as well as create a step or rebate in the two shell sections for them to overlap on and join the shells, then wait for the epoxy to dry, then put the lugs on.

That's exactly what you do.

You can really do it both ways. Whatever works for you. I'd just rather never put epoxy on my drums. That's just me.

WOW! Trying to contradict Timekeep! That's some balls!!!

have you seen his most recent signature line? The little punk has balls as big as church bells.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby Timekeep69 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:38 pm

I'm thinking someone might need a vacation. I don't mind him acting stupid but now he's getting downright disrespectful. Am I alone in this?
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby TNCdrummer » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:41 pm

LOL every thread lately has been going in the same direction. i think bear needs to go to DML rehab
www.myspace.com/tomorrownevercameny
www.myspace.com/rayaltamura
CHECK OUT MY BAND IF YOU LIKE
Misery Signals
Underoath
TNCdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby zen_drummer » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:16 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:I'm thinking someone might need a vacation. I don't mind him acting stupid but now he's getting downright disrespectful. Am I alone in this?

I actually sent a PM to Greg about an hour ago, didn't want to bother you with it, PJ.

CB has the unique ability to ALWAYS come to the wrong conclusion as far as how to act.

Personally, I think he should be sent away until somebody gets a call from one of his parents, stating that they have read his posts and understand the way in which he's been interacting with adults.

Just my two centavos
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby !CALEB! » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:44 am

Ok. I've been doing some more research and was wondering if anyone knows were I can buy a 14X2 peice of acrylic, because the smallest I can find is 14X3 and I really don't want to cut 1 inch of of that to use. Plus it's $70.
R.I.P. John Beatz
!CALEB!
new
new

Postby a7xjlee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:49 am

sounds like a wicked idea caleb. would love to see a pic of the finished product.

about this cheerfull bear situation , at first i didnt understant what was the big hassle then i read into it more and i can rearly see were your coming from zen ect. I think it would be best If you stopped giving advice as if you were an expert on the subject and leave it to more experienced people.

I know your just trying to give your 2 cents but im sure im not the only person who would rarther have you not say anything at all then speak out of your @$$. Im sure alot of people apreciated your input but you are showing alot of disrespect to people who are twice as knowledgeable and have been around alot longer in the drumming world.

I dont want you to take this the wrong way but i think your taking everything to personally , as a kid your age i can relate i have learnt not to take things to heart and build on constructive critiscism which along with great advice is all you will get from these guys if you treat them with respect. I think you just got on the wrong side of alot of people.

Remember to get respect you have to give it
Damian king 2001 "Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitement of the potential"
a7xjlee
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Timekeep69 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:14 am

!CALEB! wrote:Ok. I've been doing some more research and was wondering if anyone knows were I can buy a 14X2 peice of acrylic, because the smallest I can find is 14X3 and I really don't want to cut 1 inch of of that to use. Plus it's $70.

Give either RCI or Gold N Times a call and see if maybe they'll sell you a piece of scrap or I'm sure they'll sell you a piece cut to size for a decent amount.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby Mitchell? » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:25 am

a7xjlee wrote:sounds like a wicked idea caleb. would love to see a pic of the finished product.

about this cheerfull bear situation , at first i didnt understant what was the big hassle then i read into it more and i can rearly see were your coming from zen ect. I think it would be best If you stopped giving advice as if you were an expert on the subject and leave it to more experienced people.

I know your just trying to give your 2 cents but im sure im not the only person who would rarther have you not say anything at all then speak out of your @$$. Im sure alot of people apreciated your input but you are showing alot of disrespect to people who are twice as knowledgeable and have been around alot longer in the drumming world.

I dont want you to take this the wrong way but i think your taking everything to personally , as a kid your age i can relate i have learnt not to take things to heart and build on constructive critiscism which along with great advice is all you will get from these guys if you treat them with respect. I think you just got on the wrong side of alot of people.

Remember to get respect you have to give it

That's the truth.

(Although at first I was confused, because I thought you were talking to zen.)
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Postby johnisonfire » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:23 pm

How about getting a 4x14" shell and cutting it in half. Save the other half for another hybrid. Or have a 3" acrylic "stripe" on the snare with longer tube lugs. You should still have clearance for a 1 5/8" tension rod on the wood parts. Timekeep's idea was great too, about calling them and talking to someone there. I haven't really read too much on building a hybrid drumkit, I'm still practicing my straight drilling and wrapping skills.

Caleb, if you'd be so kind as to take and post pics as the project progresses, I as well as many others here would be very grateful. Good luck.

About the side discussion here about a certain 14 year old custom drum builder in training...I'm surprised (and kinda disappointed) in seeing CB's signature. Zen and Timekeep have probably thrown out more drums as trash than CB has built, he has no place to talk like that and act like that.

I usually don't like talking about my drum assembling projects until they're completed. I've seen more posts and threads about that purple gay thing than "considering a switch to meinl" threads in the cymbal forum. And that's alot.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Previous

Return to Masterworks