old 80's ludwig kit......worth working on?

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby jonev17 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:29 pm

so, i have an old ludwig kit that my folks bought me when i was 14 or so. it was originally a huge 11 piece, but i whittled it down to a 6. now i wanna get it down to a 4. it has this chrome wrap on it that looks like shit in some places. i was thinking of unwrapping it and sanding it down, then putting on a coat of lacquer or something.

i've never done anything more than general maintenance on drums. is this easy to do? would it look decent when finished? i don't even know what the shells are made of. at the time i didn't care, i just wanted something to play. the guy sold it really cheap, but i think he was just looking to clear the space for his new kit. i think i can get them sounding ok again with some new heads and some TLC. maybe replace a few lugs. just wondering if it would be worth the time and effort.
jonev17
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Alan_ » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:37 pm

does it have blue and olive badges or black and white ones? this is a major consideration as to whether they'd be worth restoring.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby antiunderscores » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:51 pm

if they are important to you, they are worth restoring. but if you're restoring just to sell them then, and only then should price matter.
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Postby jonev17 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 pm

i believe the badges are black. i'll double check at practice tomorrow (i'm currently using the 6 piece version as a practice kit).

they have sentimental value, for sure. i wouldn't be fixing them up to sell. i would keep it as a 4 piece kit. i know price really shouldn't matter if i'm keeping them, but it is a factor. i'd like a nice wood grain finish. don't know if that'd be possible or not.......
jonev17
drumming adept
drumming adept

Re: old 80's ludwig kit......worth working on?

Postby zen_drummer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:40 pm

jonev17 wrote:so, i have an old ludwig kit that my folks bought me when i was 14 or so. ~ just wondering if it would be worth the time and effort.

Sanding down drums and staining them RARELY comes out as nice as you are picturing it... BUT... you have them wrapped in veneer, then have them stained to whatever shade you want... that usually comes out great!
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby jonev17 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:53 pm

alan, they are indeed the black and white badges.
jonev17
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Steve@NDC » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:14 am

I believe that would put them in the "Accent" line. Beginner/Student-level drums. If it were me, I'd simply clean them up (keep the wrap on) and put some decent heads on them. For instance, coated Remo Ambassadors on tops, clear Ambassadors on the bottoms. Remo PowerStroke 3 on the batter side of the bass drum.
Steve@NDC
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby dedrummervanrolf » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:26 pm

I'm not sure about them being accents, but I'm pretty sure the blue/olive ones are better/worth more..

I'd just go with cleaning them up and putting new heads on them.
me: www.myspace.com/dedrummervanrolf
my band: www.myspace.com/rolfdeband
Gretsch, Wooding, Ludwig, Sabian. random hardware.
dedrummervanrolf
session drummer
session drummer

Postby stump » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Show us some pics. P.O.Y!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

stump

Postby randomdrum » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:46 pm

It's worth restoring cos it's your kit, if you wanna do it do it. It might be valuable experience for a future project?
Random Hand
Me!!

Mapex Drums
DW8000 Pedals
Sabian Cymbals
Vater Sticks
randomdrum
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Airborne Ranger » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:14 am

Do the b/w badges have the "U.S.A." next to the Ludwig name? If they do, you have an 80's Rockers set that was possibly made in Chicago. Do they have the Rockers style lugs or the Classic style? Ludwig used the Classic lugs on the early Rockers before swithcing to the Rocker/Standard style. I have a black 80's Rockers set with the Classic lugs and it sounds great. If you choose to rewrap them, the wrap alone will cost close what the drums are worth, around $250, so keep that in mind. The wrap was thinner/lesser quality than the high end Ludwigs of the day and was only attached with tape at the seam, so removing it would be very easy. I wouldn't try staining them though, the 4 ply Poplar shells just aren't good enough quality to take a stain very well, wrapping them would be the best option. Do they have the gray speckled interior or the clear interior? The clear interior versions date from the late 80's and have a maple inner ply making them a little more valuable. Later Rockers are made in Taiwan and have little value but the U.S. made drums are actually very nice and sound very good.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Postby jonev17 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:29 pm

thanks for the info! still haven't made a decision yet, but i'm leaning towards really cleaning them up instead. not sure if they're US or not, will find out tonight. the interior shell is clear, so that's a plus. not sure on the lugs. just new heads would do wonders for it. they haven't been changed in a LONG time. i'll do a full inspection tonight and decide by tomorrow. thanks guys!
jonev17
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Kaos » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Check your edges too, make sure there's no huge dents or anything. I would say re-wrap them. Have fun with them, If your keeping them make them look killer. Cost shouldn't be a factor in something your keeping and playing.
Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Masterworks