Snares

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:06 am

Also: Is there any way to hold the shell down while drilling other than having my dad hold it? (<lol)
And: how do I build relations to get parts cheaper? Ego makes their own lugs, so would it be possible to get one with them. And drumgearonline, I have been a customer there many times, but I don't know how to set something up to get it cheaper.
How'd you do it PJ?
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Timekeep69 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:40 am

You have to have a business license.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby rufus4dagruv » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:45 am

Cheerful-Bear wrote:Also: Is there any way to hold the shell down while drilling other than having my dad hold it? (<lol)
And: how do I build relations to get parts cheaper? Ego makes their own lugs, so would it be possible to get one with them. And drumgearonline, I have been a customer there many times, but I don't know how to set something up to get it cheaper.
How'd you do it PJ?

Anything is possible. Generally, discounts come with volume. The more you purchase, the more leverage you have to negotiate a deal. Many times the buyer will have to meet a minimum, either pieces or dollars, within a specific time frame or on a per order basis.

I work for the world's largest sheet music company as a buyer. We're so big, that with some of the smaller pubs we deal with, if we no longer sold their goods, they would literally have to go out of business. As a result, we have a TON of leverage in regards to the terms of our relationship such as discounts and payment terms (i.e. 30 day, 60 day, etc.). Keep in mind, this company has been in existance for 132 years, so they've spent some time building it.

Also, and I'm not trying to discredit your or put you down, but the reality is that you are too young to legally create an actual business entity in the USA. As a result, you will probably run into a lot of challenges in building these relationships. Like it's been suggested, use the next few year to learn how to make great drums and figure out how to market your brand.

You have, you're 14, right, 4 years to research not just the building aspect, but you can also watch and analyze your prospective market. Ask drummers what they would like in a drumset, especially the ones that have the money to throw around because in reality, they're ultimately the ones that are going to buy them. This is business, and money talks. This doesn't mean ignore people who don't have the cash now, because they might eventually. Might. You can use all of this information and experience to put together a business plan, and if it's good enough, and you can sell yourself well, you may even be able to gain financial backing. Granted, this is in a perfect world, and it's going to take a lot of work and a lot of luck.

Also, try not to focus on this one drum, but rather take a step back and try to conceptualize the big picture. I don't expect you can see it clearly at this point because not many people do when they are young simply because they don't have enough life experience yet. Good luck, man.
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:18 pm

Thanks. Yes, I know I'm too young to have a buisness license, so I'll have to wait to get deals on parts. For right now, I'm goin te experiment with different types of parts and different drum materials.
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:23 pm

How could I forget?!??!? I'm going to get an airbrush and compressor and whatever else I need to use it. Any ideas of where and what, Zen?
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Postby zen_drummer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:32 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:Oh, I thought total, this would be like $1000! This is great! It'll take hardly any time to save up for this.
Thanks a ton for your help! What should I get first, like is there any strategic order? Do you want money for those shells, like $5 per shell?

The shells that I have are scraps and old stuff that is pretty much disposable... I never throw anything away! You can't make drums out of them, but you can use them for practice, so when you're ready, and have the tools in hand, I'm happy to give them to you.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby zen_drummer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:How could I forget?!??!? I'm going to get an airbrush and compressor and whatever else I need to use it. Any ideas of where and what, Zen?

Bearing edges first... pretty faded finishes last. Focus on the craft first. An airbrush should not be your first priority, not by a long shot!
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:11 pm

Alright. So I should get...
Router and table
Bits
Sander
Clamps
Air Brush?

What airbrush do you recommend?
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Postby zen_drummer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:31 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:Alright. So I should get...
Router and table
Bits
Sander
Clamps
Air Brush?

What airbrush do you recommend?

When you HAVE a Router and table, Bits, Sander & Clamps... I'll tell you what airbrush/sprayer to get :wink:
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:43 pm

Just making sure I get the parts in order, I see. :D
I can control myself, don't worry.
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Postby zen_drummer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:59 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:Just making sure I get the parts in order, I see. :D
I can control myself, don't worry.

An Airbrush isn't the best way to do fades... A touch-up gun is... but get your tools for edges first, learn how to make them. Make a few wrapped drums first, then you'll have that under control... THEN move on into other finishes.

This is all about walking before you run... get it?

BTW, To prevent having your dad hold the shell for drilling....

Clamp a 2x4 to your bench with the end sticking out... Clamp the shell to the board, with the board inside the shell... THEN drill... the holes won't blow out, and your dad's fingers will be safe (and yours will be as well)
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:07 pm

That's all a little confusing. So you mean clamp a 2x4 to a bench, so that the 2x4 is sticking out over the edge? And then clamp the shell on to that so the 2x4 is inside the shell?
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Postby Timekeep69 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:33 pm

Honestly, I don't use a drill press or clamps when I drill. Get a Unibit, they run about $25, get a 1/2" Unibit and drilling will be a breeze. I just place the shell on my work table, hold it and drill.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:36 pm

How do unibits work anyway? Can't they make a bunch of different sized holes or something?

Also: how do you drill large vent holes like in 20+ ply shells? A 2'' bit would totally destroy the wood wouldn't it?
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Postby zen_drummer » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:Honestly, I don't use a drill press or clamps when I drill. Get a Unibit, they run about $25, get a 1/2" Unibit and drilling will be a breeze. I just place the shell on my work table, hold it and drill.

That works really well... my way was cheaper, using brad point bits, of course!

Cheerful-Bear wrote:Also: how do you drill large vent holes like in 20+ ply shells? A 2'' bit would totally destroy the wood wouldn't it?

Use a Forstner bit!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=39811
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

PreviousNext

Return to Masterworks