Snares

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:02 pm

rufus4dagruv wrote:
Cheerful-Bear wrote:That was an estimate, not exact cost. Would you like exact?

Point = missed. Completely.

And Mike, I don't think you could have been any more crystal clear.

SWOOOOOOSH.... Right over the head, no?

I gotta improve my AIM or something!
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:06 pm

Forget it. If you hate me so much, why don't you just leave me alone?
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:09 pm

CB, i'm sure he doesn't hate you (i could be wrong)
he might not like you, i think he even stated that
but ok, he doesn't like you..
and he's been helping you out still,
giving you sound advice
really really good advice at that
just take it and work with it
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:Forget it. If you hate me so much, why don't you just leave me alone?

Read my ENTIRE post three times, and THEN have the scrotum to say I hate you... I FAR from hate you... I'm trying to HELP you.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:12 pm

The hell with it... I'm gonna hang out with Steve for a while!

As Bong said to me at DRT...

You've got a Horse, and you've got a lake... the REST is up to him....

Brother Bong... WHERE ARE YOU??????????????
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:12 pm

Just don't buy my drums, its as simple as that. As for your advice, this is the only way I can make money, so I would rather like to do some stuff for people. No place will hire me because I'm too young. I would like to make money to build my own set.
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:16 pm

OK look....

soft simple sweet

nobody wants a single tom with a very unique (as zen put it) finish...
nobody wants a tom converted to a snare because you couldn't sell the tom...
you're trying a little to hard brother
hang up the tom, try again
that's all you can do
just keep trying
try hard enough at something you're bound to make it
drums - pacific LX
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:19 pm

I am offering that I make a full set on it. Like PJ said, never make a full set with your own money unless it's for you.
And you said I'm trying too hard, and at the end you said I should try hard. Drums take me months to make since I have to get all the parts in little installments due to money.
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:23 pm

i meant you're trying a little to hard to sell the tom...
not at making more drums
give up the single tom
next time make a snare
drums - pacific LX
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:14 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:As for your advice, this is the only way I can make money, so I would rather like to do some stuff for people.

READ MY POST!

It has become abundantly clear that subtle hints don't hit the mark with you...

It has continued on to become fairly clear that REALLY OBVIOUS hints don't work with you.

Now we come to learn that THE COLD HARD TRUTH is flying right past you...

So now we hit the final frontier...

....REALLY FREAKING BLUNT....

If the only way you can make money is to offer people a poor value on drums, where they could get higher quality for similar money from a PROFESSIONAL builder, then YOU NEED TO FIND ANOTHER WAY TO MAKE MONEY!

I TRIED to get a drum from you... I was serious about it... but your "estimate" was through the roof (after raising the price on me THREE times) then your "Exact price" was STILL within 25 bucks of a PROFESSIONALLY MADE DRUM! You said that it was expensive because I asked for expensive parts, but PJ quoted me on the SAME expensive parts and he was LOWER than your estimate... by A LOT!

The LAST thing I need is another snare drum! I was going to buy it to be nice, and you were offering drums at cost.... well... if you read my post... YOUR COST is as high as a pro-built drum!

You don't get it. When you're critisized you whimper and threaten to leave. Then we tell you "oh no cheerful bear... don't leave us... we'll buy your drums... really we will."

THAT is not gonna help you.

Hopefully this will:

You made a couple drums. That's great. ENJOY THEM... You're NOT a custom drum "company". You're NOT a custom drum "builder", because you don't have the tools to build a drum. You ASSEMBLED a drum from retail parts, and you painted a couple shells. In fact, by doing what you're doing, you are INSULTING real custom drum builders that have more tools than a spray can, a drill and a screwdriver. You REALLY believe it's that simple!

Let me tell you, When I was 14 I built a bicycle from parts... I didn't slap SCHWINN "CUSTOM" BIKES on the frame and start advertising I was a bicycle manufacturer. I didn't offer to build bikes at cost... I rode my damn bike and enjoyed it, VERY proud of the fact that I "built" it myself. That was enough!

SO... BE PROUD... and go play the drums you "built" and STOP posing as a drum maker until you AT LEAST learn how to use the tools required to BUILD A DRUM YOURSELF, BEARING EDGES AND ALL!

Don't whimper and threaten to leave. You're not a child. Be a young man and tough it out.

'nuff said from my end... but if YOU continue to post a defense to all this nonsense, you may as well change your signature line to "That's right folks... I'm clueless".

BLUNT ENOUGH?

Man, I hope so!
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Ok, I'll stop making drums. I get it, I've just been trying to find a way around it. I guess there is no way around. I raised the price 2 times, becuase I wasn't sure what materials I needed to wrap the drum, then I learned. Get a drum from PJ.
What I meant to do out of this is use the cheapest parts. I suppose now I should say, no tube lugs, diecast or wooden, or trick strainers. I said CHEAP and SIMPLE, meaning, don't ask for the expensive parts.
I GET IT!
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:51 pm

Oh yes: I don't just spray paint my drums: where's the love?

And- What you're saying is, I shouldn't portray my self as a company and stop selling drums right? (I hope I'm right here, other wise there might be another explosion...)
JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Cheerful-Bear wrote:And- What you're saying is, I shouldn't portray my self as a company and stop selling drums right? (I hope I'm right here, other wise there might be another explosion...)

Yes, I'm sure that's what he's trying to say. Just make drums for yourself and friends/family. You can do it as a hobby, just don't go around telling people you're a company. Gain some experience first.
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:54 pm

This whole snare thread was for the purpose of gaining xp.
Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:10 pm

Being a drum builder takes a lot of time and even then most of the builders don't build their shells so they are more decorators and assemblers. I've been building for about 4 years and finally decided a few months ago to get my business license and all that good stuff. I'm still more of a hobby builder than a company. If your gonna try to sell drums your have to be prepared for people to love your stuff and hate your stuff but your not gonna get rich building drums. Do it for fun, do it for the love and do it for the experiance. Keep practicing. Learn your art.

Dont be a hot head like me, it really gets you no where.