questions about making a snare.

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby MasterShake89 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:05 pm

I've always lusted after having an acrylic set, and naturally the place to start is with an acrylic snare. I cant really find one i want at a working mans snare drum price that i like without going custom, and then that ups the price a lot. I found a website called www.drummaker.com and they offer all the supplies i would need to make my own just the way i like it.
so my basic questions for you guys (the real, and experienced drum makers) are these:

have you heard of aquabomb acrylic shells? are they of good quality?

are their any special precautions that need to be taken with acrylic drum shells? (i would have them do the layout and drilling for me based on hardware i would show them)

and what are the basic sound characteristics of acrylic? I would want something louder than birch, and more of like a gunshot type sound if you know what i mean?
MasterShake89
session drummer
session drummer

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Timekeep69 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:38 pm

Aquabomb shells are made by RCI which are good shells.

If you're going to have them drill the shell, then no worries but double check to make sure that the bearing edges will be cut too. Cutting and drilling acrylic can be very frustrating and expensive.

Acrylic drums are pretty loud. I did a 6x14 and it sounded like a cannon.

ps the guys at drummaker are really cool too, I've dealt with them many times.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:27 pm

Yeah, RCI shells are great. Large vent holes will make it louder. Gold-N-Times has some good acrylic shells and it's manufactured by the same people who make Ludwig's shells. You can find RCI shells at http://www.precisiondrum.com -- I don't know if that's the aquabomb stuff you're looking for. www.drumgearonline.com has some good, cheap parts too.
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Return to Masterworks