Hero Custom Drums

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:43 am

Airborne Ranger wrote:
Timekeep69 wrote:Yay! Now there are 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 custom drum companies in existance!

My thoughts exactly, you are entering an already very saturated market, all building essentially the same product. I hope you will be building drums as a side business for friends and possibly a little spending cash. Not a good idea if you plan on doing it full time.

You pretty much described on what I'm doing it for. Mostly DMLers, my friends, and such.
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:04 am

i enjoy building drums and i'd like to do it as much as possible.

i've just never really had the inkling to fire up a myspace page or build a website...

i'm not trying to crap on anyone's hopes, goals and aspirations or anything, but it's important to remember that when you start presenting yourself as a "company" or a "business", you're really putting your skills and abilities out there to be criticized.

hell... check out all the crap creature drums has gotten around here... and bodies has clearly built a substantial number of drums and has some skillz.

after all the drums i've built, i'm still doing stuff for friends and charging literally a few bucks over cost. i think the last full kit i did, which was a stained finish and took dozens of hours, netted me less than $50 in profit.

i guess the advice i'd give you is to take things slowly... don't start throwing websites and "company" names out there until you've got more experience... presenting the stuff you're doing as your learning to strangers can turn them off to you forever regardless of how awesome you get after more practice. especially with all the nameless custom shops out there.
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Postby DrumsPlus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:10 am

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:i enjoy building drums and i'd like to do it as much as possible.

i've just never really had the inkling to fire up a myspace page or build a website...

i'm not trying to crap on anyone's hopes, goals and aspirations or anything, but it's important to remember that when you start presenting yourself as a "company" or a "business", you're really putting your skills and abilities out there to be criticized.

hell... check out all the crap creature drums has gotten around here... and bodies has clearly built a substantial number of drums and has some skillz.

after all the drums i've built, i'm still doing stuff for friends and charging literally a few bucks over cost. i think the last full kit i did, which was a stained finish and took dozens of hours, netted me less than $50 in profit.

i guess the advice i'd give you is to take things slowly... don't start throwing websites and "company" names out there until you've got more experience... presenting the stuff you're doing as your learning to strangers can turn them off to you forever regardless of how awesome you get after more practice. especially with all the nameless custom shops out there.

+1, guy makes some great points.
groove master

Postby Timekeep69 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:09 pm

There's a reason I partnered with Dana instead of starting out on my own.

Plus....I already have DMLr's covered. :mrgreen:
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby antiunderscores » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:There's a reason I partnered with Dana instead of starting out on my own.

Plus....I already have DMLr's covered. :mrgreen:
haha, he's got a top point there bear! Your main competition is PJ since your main market is DML.
You are here:

Good
OK
Bad
>Totally Screwed<
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 pm

I know, I mean just for anyone who wants some of my stuff. Thanks for the pointers. I'm really just making stuff for my friends right now. I made the myspace just so I could have it when I get more experienced. I'm hoping not to fill orders of strangers.
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Postby johnisonfire » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:02 pm

I think the worst thing that could happen is that you will become a skilled drum maker. The best thing, is that you could be a skilled drum maker for a living.

In my opinion, either way is awesome. Good luck with the building dude.

btw i added you on myspace.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby shrub » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:55 pm

Custom Drum companies are like water bottle companies, there are differences they claim to have but in the end its just water.

I would just build the drums for fun. Making a business out of it just unrealistic.

But hey, i understand what your doing, I Love to work with wood and build things with my hands, Its good experience.
People that get stuff done have way too much time on their hands.
shrub
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby antiunderscores » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:49 am

just a word of warning which has already been expressed by others, as soon as you give yourself a company name and myspace or anything, you are no longer "making it for the fun of it" potential customers, (no matter HOW distant away it is for you to be doing drums for strangers, they are still potential in the future) will no viewing you as "some kid who makes some pretty cool drums" you are now, "a company that i expect what i pay for" you remember what bodiesablaze coped when he posted drums where the the lugs were a fraction of a degree off center, because he was presenting himself as a company, not a hobbyist. and thats what you are now doing. I dont want to be some guy to come and step on your dreams because we all know how that feels and i dont want to do that to you, but its not going to be "some 14 year old kid" its now "some professional company" and if you think you are ready for that, awesome. If your product is ready for that, even better. but if your doing it for friends and family, they know who you are, why do they need some fancy badge?

I dont know, its your decision, but i had the same dreams when i first made my electric, and the shell for my snare, but thats a long way away if ever and im going to cross to the "company" status. And i plan on holding out until when i feel my workmanship is ready for it.

Up to you though...
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:38 am

I just kind of made the myspace for the fun of it. I hope not to use it until the future.
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Postby Cheerful-Bear » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:21 pm

^Never mind. Forget it.
Cheerful-Bear
groove master
groove master

Postby Timekeep69 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Dude, don't give up just because your first drum wasn't a hit. Take the criticism and learn from it.

I got sued over the first kit I built ( I won).

Learn from your mistakes, it makes you a better person.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
Timekeep69

Postby antiunderscores » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:00 pm

dont give up! i dont know what happen seemingly overnight to make you suddenly loose the spark you seemed to have, and i hope it wasnt what i said because i never intended it to do that. but you seem to have passion for this and you cant just "give up" a passion. Every step you take is a step from where you came
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Postby zen_drummer » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:34 pm

Does HERO drums know you're using their name?
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Postby Mitchell? » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:35 pm

zen_drummer wrote:Does HERO drums know you're using their name?

Ruh roh.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

PreviousNext

Return to Masterworks