Refinishing Pearl Exports

You want to know how to build the kit of your dreams...? You can find help here!
Questions and discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby LyriCa1z » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:29 am

Ok, So I am about to take on the project of refinishing my 2001 Pearl Exports. I have a couple of questions that I want to get help with before this gets under way. I am hoping to begin on June 14th, and will have to be finished quickly since this is the only set of drums I have and am in an actively gigging band.

1. Is there another method besides hairdryers for removing the wrap? Will a space heater work?
2. Is there a specific type of stain and/or clear coat that I need for the shells, or will any product from Lowe's work?
3. Is there any way to get the vent grommets out without ruining them?
4. What is my best method of recovery if I feel I am beginning to strip a screw when removing hardware from inside the shell?
5. When I tape off the holes before staining, do I only tape off the insides as to not let the stain run into the interior of the shell?
6. What are the suggested grits of sandpaper? Is a steel wool rub after sanding a good idea?
7. What should I look for as an indicator that I am done sanding? Smooth as a baby's butt literally, or theoretically?
8. Will any silver polish work for the hardware?
9. What should my expectations be as a first timer?

I appreciate any help at all with these questions. I know there are a couple of custom drum builders here who have plenty of experience with this. This is my first ever attempt at anything like this, so any additional advice would be tremendously appreciated.
-Pearl Export
-1 up 1 down
-Sabian AA
-Evans EC2 Coated
-ProMark 5A
-Latin Percussion
LyriCa1z
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby stu » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:31 pm

Here are the procedures I would follow.

1. remove hardware (Duh)
2. remove air grommet and badge. Carefully use a flat head screw driver or chisel. They will be damaged. You can order new from drumfoundry.com or any online parts supplier.
3. Sand sand sand by hand. with 150 then 220. check when you think you are done by wiping a little lacer thinner on the shell to make shure there is no glue residue left. if there is still glue on it the wet thinner will show up shiny where the glue is. . the dye or stain will not penetrate the glue leaving you with uneven color.
4. apply blue painters tape over the holes on the inside

5. Dye the shell. I would use aniline dye from Drumfoundry it is water based. What ever stain or dye you use make sure it is compatible with your top coat. If unsure after staining apply a coat of sanding sealer but be warned if you use a water based dye let it dry thoroughly before putting on the sanding sealer otherwise it will leave a milky discoloration. Once again there is a great tutorial on DF as to how to apply the aniline dye.
6. apply top coat. I would use Formbys tung oil varnish or min-wax wipe on polly depending on the type of finish I wanted. other good ones are Sam Maloof tung oil/poly blend you can get from Rockler wood working website. and water-lox you would have to do a search on the web to find that.
Do about four coats letting them dry in between. Apply with a lint free cloth or some 0000 steal wool. after you feel like you have got a good build lightly wet sand with 600. make sure you have sandpaper that is for wet sanding or it will disintegrate. wipe of water tack off and do a few more coats. when dry wet sand a gain with 600 and work your way up to 2000. remember to go with the grain. after you dry it off go over it with the 0000 steal wool apply some paste wax. let it sit for a minute then buff buff buff till your arm falls off
7. let it cure for about 2 days.
8. clean up the build up in your hardware holes with a rat tail file or some sand paper wrapped around a dowel.
9. replace hardware.

This is a lengthy process but you will be pleased with the results. I recommend doing one drum at a time if your going to have gigs in between.
hope this helps
stu
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby LyriCa1z » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:45 pm

Fantastic. thanks a ton for the info.
-Pearl Export
-1 up 1 down
-Sabian AA
-Evans EC2 Coated
-ProMark 5A
-Latin Percussion
LyriCa1z
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby dammow » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:38 am

dammow
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:33 pm

yeah... exports really aren't meant for natural finishes... the shells really aren't up to snuff.

your best bet is just to re-wrap it.
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Postby Eliminator » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:44 am

A mate of mine decorated his snare drum with a stencil after removing everything. Just cut it himself and sprayed, different colours. Looked quite funky :P
Eliminator
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby AKdrum » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:40 pm

i recently redid my old exports. i tell you what, no one has a clue what they are with my beutiful lime green wood grain drums with black hardware. i tell them they are custom made in africa and took the lives of hundreds to build and they are worth millions, its awsome, and man are they pretty. do it too it!
http://www.myspace.com/dopiateband its not gay if your in a band
AKdrum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby dammow » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:41 am

AKdrum wrote:i recently redid my old exports. i tell you what, no one has a clue what they are with my beutiful lime green wood grain drums with black hardware. i tell them they are custom made in africa and took the lives of hundreds to build and they are worth millions, its awsome, and man are they pretty. do it too it!

any pics??
dammow
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Masterworks