Ok, So I am about to take on the project of refinishing my 2001 Pearl Exports. I have a couple of questions that I want to get help with before this gets under way. I am hoping to begin on June 14th, and will have to be finished quickly since this is the only set of drums I have and am in an actively gigging band.
1. Is there another method besides hairdryers for removing the wrap? Will a space heater work?
2. Is there a specific type of stain and/or clear coat that I need for the shells, or will any product from Lowe's work?
3. Is there any way to get the vent grommets out without ruining them?
4. What is my best method of recovery if I feel I am beginning to strip a screw when removing hardware from inside the shell?
5. When I tape off the holes before staining, do I only tape off the insides as to not let the stain run into the interior of the shell?
6. What are the suggested grits of sandpaper? Is a steel wool rub after sanding a good idea?
7. What should I look for as an indicator that I am done sanding? Smooth as a baby's butt literally, or theoretically?
8. Will any silver polish work for the hardware?
9. What should my expectations be as a first timer?
I appreciate any help at all with these questions. I know there are a couple of custom drum builders here who have plenty of experience with this. This is my first ever attempt at anything like this, so any additional advice would be tremendously appreciated.
-1 up 1 down
-Evans EC2 Coated