To use a click track or not that is the question.

All about drum recording technique, mics, software etc...

Moderator: Moderators

wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:22 am

Hey guys just wanted to see what the general drumsmylife community's opinion is on click tracks. Now click tracks from what i know have really only been used since the 80's and then became huge in the 90's for editing to where they can pretty much program every little mistake in a take. My take on click tracks is that back in the day the music that I enjoy to listen to the most, they were not recorded to a click track, it was all live takes and the songs had a certain feel and groove to them that i dont hear in more modern-day recordings. My real question is if you have a band that is real tight playing together and the songs have a good feel to them and they can record a song without mistakes, then what is the real need for a click track? No one has perfect timing but isnt the feel and groove more important than the computer generated timing of a click track?

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:38 am

I've never recorded with click tracks playing through the ENTIRE song only because it wasn't really necessary (especially with time and budget constraints), but it helps on some parts especially when they guitarists go to lay down their tracks over your drums to make up for not having the visual or mental communication you get from playing together.
Either way you can still make it groove, just think of the click as a gauge and not so much a ruler. Like Scott said, it just takes some practice. I would recommend "pre"-recording if you can, it will help iron out any problems before you enter the studio
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
dedrummervanrolf
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:02 am

The way I use click tracks is more to keep the same tempo throughout during the whole length of a song. I don't focus so much on getting every beat EXACTLY on the click, I just rock my own feel and groove, but I have the click going in the back, just as a sort of guideline for the pace/tempo.

Also, since I'm in a band with a horn section, having a steady rhythm track could come in handy when there's little time and you opt to copy/paste some minor parts.

Don't do it unless you know why you're doing it and you're comfortable with it.
me: www.myspace.com/dedrummervanrolf
my band: www.myspace.com/rolfdeband
Gretsch, Wooding, Ludwig, Sabian. random hardware.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:50 am

I do both. They're both cool imo. If I'm planning to edit a recording, I'll record to a click. If it's a "live" basic tracks session where everybody's playing together, I can go either way.
cajonezzz
new
new

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:35 am

Hate em. I've never met a click track that didn't rush or drag.
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:48 am

I have always had trouble playing to quarter note clicks but the wierd thing is if i play to a programmed drum track I am right on the click the whole song through. So my solution to the problem with the click was to program a simple basic drum track on FL and record to that and i stay right with the click. Its kind of wierd but i guess since i have always played on feel i can feel a drum beat more than a click sound every quarter note. Yall know of anyone else who does this?

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
KKBDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:33 pm

I learnt that playing to a click in practice improves natural timing, so live performances should come easier if you were to record with a whole band to capture the live atmosphere and groove.
http://www.myspace.com/paidinblooduk
MUSIC UP SOON
Tama
Vic Firth
Sabian
OPEN FOR ENDORSEMENTS:D
scottbfd
new
new

Post Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:20 pm

I personally live and breathe with a click track. Once you get used to it playing to one is like second nature
yomega
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:29 am

SGarrett wrote:
wmpdrummer13 wrote:I have always had trouble playing to quarter note clicks but the wierd thing is if i play to a programmed drum track I am right on the click the whole song through. So my solution to the problem with the click was to program a simple basic drum track on FL and record to that and i stay right with the click. Its kind of wierd but i guess since i have always played on feel i can feel a drum beat more than a click sound every quarter note. Yall know of anyone else who does this?

Try setting your click to 8th notes. :)

thats what i do, it makes you play tighter, and 16th's get a bit too busy. I also design my clicks in fruity loops and export them as wave files into samplitude....however when practising a lick or groove, i just use a metronome and stick it underneathe my hat near my ear.
www.myspace.com/petermooreaus
Trick Drums |Trick Pedals | dB Drum Shoes | Vater Sticks
TamaDude
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:21 am

I have to agree with some of the statements above. It is ABSOLUTELY possible to rock, groove, swing, or funk out to a click track. It takes practice and getting used to it in order to make it sound like you're NOT playing to a click. But whoa do you relaize when you speed up and slow down.

For recording I've always used one, in a 8th note pattern. In certian live situations I have as well, but mostly not.

Playing with a click is and should be a mainstay in your own practicing routine. It will not only help you develope solid time but feel as well.
John W. ("J-Dub")

http://www.soulonfire.us

6pc Tama SCM Platinum fade
6pc Tama SCM Blue Silk (shells signed by Jason Bittner!)
4pc Tama B/B White Silk wrap
5pc Tama Bubinga Scorched Copper Fade
5pc Tama Superstar Copper Mist Metallic