Bare necessities?

All about drum recording technique, mics, software etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Bare necessities?

Postby HizardcoreMike » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:27 pm

The only recording experience I have is when my band records. Not to knock him, but my bands guitarist who does most of the set up and mixing doesn't do very well with the drums. I would like to toy around myself with recording/mixing at home. Right now, I have some unimpressive but trusty mics, including a Nady DM80 kick mic and a pack of seven Karma Audio condensers designed for drums. I know that I can get better sounds out of these mics than I do, but I need to practice recording on my own time. Right now, I have only the mics and cables. My bandmate has a mixer.

I need to know what I need and nothing more, the most inexpensive mixer/alternative I need to start making drum tracks. Can someone give me a rundown? Thanks.
DDrum Dominator
Saluda, Paiste
Remo
Dw 5000
Random hardware
HizardcoreMike
beginner
beginner

Bare necessities?

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Bare necessities?

Postby Empyrean Drums » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:11 pm

If you have a mixer all you need is a recording device and you can do "live" tracking. If you have a computer you may be able to line into it
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Re: Bare necessities?

Postby rockon2112yyz » Sat May 16, 2009 9:46 pm

bare minimum in drums or anything would be one microphone, stand, cable, recording medium. If you want to do computer based recording you would either need an Audio Interface or a mixer to an analogue in on your soundcard.

A good condenser in a good place on a good set with good tuning in a good room will get you...a fairly good recording. Try getting the sound you want out of two overheads first. More mikes does not mean better sound, add them as needed and mix accordingly. Good luck
rockon2112yyz
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Recording Drums