Mixer connection help

All about drum recording technique, mics, software etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:58 pm

Ok so I've got mostly everything figured out for recording drums at home for video use, but how on earth do I connect my mixer to my computer? Does it depend on the mixer? Also, once it's connected, how does the computer recognize that audio is what is supposed to be coming through and sent to my recording software?
I HEART THRICE
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:48 am

well, what kind of sound card/audio interface do you have? what kind of mixer? are you plugging multiple outs from the mixer into multiple ins on the sound card, or are you mixing inside the mixer and sending a stereo mix into the computer?
Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Image There's the mixer I've got and as far as sound card/audio interface, I don't have a sound card. My sound is just on the motherboard. It's an oldish computer. Is that something I'll have to invest in? And it looks like as far as outputs on the mixer, it looks like I have pretty much just a main out. Also I might invest in a bigger mixer so I can buy a 7 pack of mics, but that's what I've got for now.
I HEART THRICE
Empyrean Drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:24 pm

At the very least you need an 1/8" line/mic input on your computer.
Verify our range to target, one ping only…
rockon2112yyz
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:20 pm

For computer recording, I would suggest avoiding these mixers. Unless you buy a multiple channel sound card, all your going to get is the mixdown of the signals into your computer on a mono/stereo out; you just have to hope you had the right mix and processing. What may be better for the job is an Audio Interface, where every mic is on it's own dedicated channel and you can do non-destructive editing/processing/mixing right on your DAW, as opposed to trying to get it right the first time. An Audio Interface would bypass your soundcard and would also provide you with a means of playback, so it's all you would need.

I would recommend the FP10 for drums if your computer has a firewire 400. It's cheap, expandable and lag-free 8 mike preamps
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail ... roductId=3

There is a variety of AI's in both firewire and USB 2.0. Just do some research.
Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks guys! I'll definitely have to check out some firepods.
I HEART THRICE
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:05 am

Go to Newegg.com look up M-audio Audiophile Sound card. Its only about 110.00, something around there.. Just connect to an available PCI slot in your computer, real easy to install and then you could run the out of your mixer through the audio in of the sound card. It will come with a demo version of Pro Tools that you could use for recording software if you dont already have something. Probably one of the cheaper ways to go but the sound quality will still be really good.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
rockon2112yyz
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat May 16, 2009 10:45 pm