Youtube Recording

All about drum recording technique, mics, software etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Youtube Recording

Postby Rufio32 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 pm

Okay so I've been thinking about doing some drum covers and putting them on youtube. But I want the drums to sound nice so I want to get mics for them. Then of course the mics hook up to a snake. But can you plug the snake into the video camera somehow so you get just the sound from the drums? Or would it work out better to use the camera just for the picture and record the audio on the computer and match them up afterwards? Any other methods?
Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Youtube Recording

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Youtube Recording

Postby PsYkeR » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:09 am

Hi Rufio! I'm not sure what you mean by the mics 'hook up to a snake', but then again, I'm not particularly tech savvy, and am pretty new to this stuff myself!

For my personal Youtube videos, I am using a set of Audix DP7 microphones and a Focusrite Saffire Pro mixer, running via firewire through my PC. I then mix each of the individual channels (snare, 2 rack toms, floor tom, kick and two overheads) using Cubase SX3.

The video i shoot from two different angles using my partners digital camera and video camera! I then create a mixdown *.wav file from cubase, and add it along with the two videos into Sony Vegas, which i use to create the video. I export this video (works out to be around 100meg) and then upload it to my youtube profile!

Here's an example.

The guys on this forum are great, and I have learned nearly everything i know from them. I don't doubt they'll be able to provide you with some great feedback as well!

Keep on rockin'

Josh
PsYkeR
beginner
beginner

Postby Rufio32 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:57 pm

I never even thought about using a mixer. That would work out great! However, how much does it cost to get a firewire port on a pc? Do you know?
I HEART THRICE
Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Sudz » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:09 pm

next to nothing. most newer computers have them, especially if they're higher end ones made for working with media or gaming. If not, you can easily find a PCI firewire card at your local computer supply store. Just make sure to thoroughly check your computer for a pre-existing one before you go shopping.
Gretsch Renown 9x12, 16x16, 20x22
Yamaha Stage Custom 8x10, 9x12, 16x16, 17x22
C&C Custom 6x14 maple snare
Gretsch Renown 6.5x14 maple snare
Porkpie piglite 6x14 clear acrylic snare
Sabian HHX and Zildjian K cymbals
Sudz
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby PsYkeR » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:50 pm

I agree completely with Sudz- if you don't have a firewire port on your PC or laptop, you can pick up a PCI firewire card for your PC or PCMCIA card for your laptop. It shouldn't cost anything more than about $20AU (probably halve that price for the US). Your mixer and or microphones can be the expensive part. I spent about $1200US on my mic and mixer combo, complete with cables. I'm not sure of the going rate for Cubase these days, but I picked up a copy for about $120AU from a local Music store (i'm told you can get it cheaper if you shop around).
PsYkeR
beginner
beginner

Postby SGarrett » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:07 pm

Built-in mixer? You mean that craptacular bundled software? Get a real recording program, there are free ones. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby Rufio32 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 pm

What are some of those free recording programs?
I HEART THRICE
Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby SGarrett » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:00 pm

"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby Rufio32 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks guys!
I HEART THRICE
Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Rufio32 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Ok here's my next issue. I'm probably gonna want to use my old laptop to get the audio from the drums because my drums aren't at home. I keep my drums at a friends house because I live in an apartment. Therefore I'd rather use the laptop and bring it back and forth. But, it being an old laptop, it does not have a firewire input, nor the space to put one into it. Is there such thing as like an external firewire box or something?
I HEART THRICE
Rufio32
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Recording Drums