my band is doing a professional recording in the spring...

All about drum recording technique, mics, software etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Postby TQDrummer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:08 pm

and i really wanted some advice to make me prepared to record in a professional studio. i am only gonna have one day to record, 10 hours to do like 5 songs and i just want any advice i can get to pace myself so i will still have energy at the end of those 10 hours so i can make the most of that time. we are gonna be able to do pre-production so i will be able to get a feel for the studio and the producer/engineer. he sent my band a 15 page letter of how he works in the studio and the equipment that he only uses and things that you arent aloud to do there. it seemed a little out of hand but im gonna have to trust him. any advice anyone could give me would be absolutely great!
Tama Superstar 22", 13", 16" Pearl Omar Hakim Snare - 5x13 Sabian: 14" AA Rock Hats, Zildjian: 19" A Medium Thin Crash, 21" A Sweet Ride, 20" A Custom Projection Crash, All hardware is DW 9000 series, Vic Firth 3A
TQDrummer
beginner
beginner

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: my band is doing a professional recording in the spring...

Postby SGarrett » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:45 pm

Know the songs front to back and it shouldn't take you two hours per song. For that fact, if you really know the material it shouldn't take more than a handful of takes per song. So, practice your ass off so you can go on autopilot. The more confident you are in your ability to play the songs, the less nervous you'll be.

Also, if you don't already play to a click now would be a good time to start spending a lot of time with one.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby TQDrummer » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:52 pm

ive been doing that with the click for a couple weeks. is there any advice on how to improve practicing with the metronome?
Tama Superstar 22", 13", 16" Pearl Omar Hakim Snare - 5x13 Sabian: 14" AA Rock Hats, Zildjian: 19" A Medium Thin Crash, 21" A Sweet Ride, 20" A Custom Projection Crash, All hardware is DW 9000 series, Vic Firth 3A
TQDrummer
beginner
beginner

Postby SGarrett » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:55 pm

The more focused you are the more comfortable you'll get with it. Practice rudiments, grooves, fill ideas, solos, and anything else you can possibly think of. I don't know what your practice schedule is like but, try to get at least 7-10 hours a week of working with the click and don't play anything, outside of band rehearsals, without one. Also, if you have any way of recording yourself, even if it's with a boom box, do it. The tape never lies and you'll hear any and all of your timing inconsistencies. You don't need a quality recording, you just need to be able to hear what you were playing.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:29 am

I 2nd that^^^^

Find a way to record yourself even with an mp3 player or anything, and then start the click with your recording and see where you are coming off of the click. Then work on that one section at a time. It is usually best to practice your songs in sections and devote more time to the different parts of the song vs just playing the whole song through all the time. Also go into the studio with a lot of confidence, that is probably one of the most important things, and dont 2nd guess yourself when you are in the studio, trust what you have practicing.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby SGarrett » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:14 pm

^^^Good points.

The confidence level will come from the serious levels of practice. And breaking the difficult parts down to work in individually is also a great idea. We do that in martial arts.
SGarrett

Postby TQDrummer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 pm

okay thanx! that helps a lot!
TQDrummer
beginner
beginner

Postby TQDrummer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:02 pm

oh yea, ive always had trouble trying to decide what speed each song should be on the metronome, if you have any advice on how to make this process easier, please let me know.
TQDrummer
beginner
beginner

Postby SGarrett » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Trial and error. If your metronome has a "tap tempo" function you can use that to find the tempo. Otherwise, you're going to have to just experiment.
SGarrett

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Usually I will get with my guitarist and we will sit there and i will set the speed i think it is at and he will play along with it and we find what bpm is going to be the best.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby SGarrett » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 pm

I find the trouble with that is that people play differently on given days. I've been rehearsing with the click and had the singer turn around to say "that song was way too slow guys" when the same tempo was "perfect" for the three prior rehearsals. Had we set the speed on that day, the song would've been actually been way too fast. Trial and error. :D
SGarrett

Postby TQDrummer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:21 pm

okay thank you!
TQDrummer
beginner
beginner

Postby mitchar19 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:33 pm

as far as setting the tempo of songs, work with your vocalist and make sure the tempos you choose don't rush the vocals or make them feel too slow.
mitchar19
beginner
beginner

Postby kplante069 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 pm

My advice is don't sweat the small stuff. Do everything you can to prepare yourself. Make sure you have a fresh set of heads to put on before you go in. Make sure you retune at the studio. Above all, relax and have fun. Are you doing individual tracks or all/ some together? If there are all seperate I would find away to practice with a scratch track. If you're doing it together it makes it a little more comfortable.
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby TQDrummer » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:01 pm

were doing it separate, but i will have my guitarists there with me to play along with so i dont get confused. but i need to try to get tempos from my guitarists so i can learn the new songs we just wrote so i that i can get them perfect on my own playing with the click.
TQDrummer
beginner
beginner

Next

Return to Recording Drums