YouTube Recording

All about drum recording technique, mics, software etc...

Moderator: Moderators

NeiMo
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:12 pm

I expect everyone on here has seen someone else playing their drums on YouTube, playing their favourite track and people have a big discussion about what boom stand he's using.. But, correct me if I'm wrong, a lot of the drummers posting videos up are either;
1. inexperienced/beginners with videos you turn off within 5 seconds because they sound so bad and the recording is shoddy.

2. Experienced players that you want to listen to whats going on, but you can't because the recording is so bad.

3. Experienced players that take pride in what they do and create a video that's visually creative, the sound is sometimes not perfect, yet still easy on the ear. Take "Cobus" for example.

4. Professional home recordings such as the Travis Barker home re-mixes he's done.

For a couple of years I've wanted to stick a video up on youtube, maybe to prove a couple people wrong about a beat or section to a song or whatever.. Or to show my bands fanbase me playing or whatever.. But I've never known a good way to go about it. A lot of people have said to use a camcorder.. but like, that doesn't sound right to me. If I wanted a nice sound I'd be tempted to rig up mics from the studio and stuff and blablabla.. but I wouldn't know how to do it. My guitarist might, lol. But this is something I wanna do from home. Basically, is a camcorder really cut out for the job I want done? If so, what sorta models am I looking at to produce not only a good sound from my drums, but something that'll allow me to make a visually creative video to upload to the net.
NeiMo
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:19 pm

+PLUS+

Is there a program you need to edit and produce your short film or is "windows movie maker" really that amazing?!?
SGarrett

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:40 pm

For best results, audio and video should always be captured separately and the mixed together. So, use a camcorder to capture the video and mic's to capture the audio. You can use Movie Maker or you can download something else. Keep in mind that professional results aren't cheap unless you already know what you're doing and already have the equipment on-hand. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
PsYkeR
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Here's one I prepared earlier = )

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IHxoSnjD-Rk

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IHxoSnjD-Rk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IHxoSnjD-Rk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

This video is probably halfway between a category one and category two (according to NeiMo's OP). For me, posting Youtube videos gives me a 'benchmark' by which i can watch my style, technique and flair improve (hopefully) over the years. It's also a great opportunity to receive feedback, and I like the thought of getting exposure and being rewarded by comments and ratings for the hard work i put into music. Getting positive comments really inspires me to work on new songs!

My equipment has come a long way from my first youtube video (an old beat up pearl export kit recorded through the video function of my girlfriends old digital camera!) but the fact remains that we all have to start somewhere. You will have to find a happy compromise between spending thousands of dollars on equipment and spending hours refining recording and playing techniques (like Cobus), and just playing for fun, or to impress friends, or like you suggested, correcting other youtube users.

Ultimately, if you put up a youtube video that further down the track you are not impressed with, you can just remove it. It's not likely anybody will remember the 'not so good' videos. They're more likely to concentrate on your newer and more impressive vids!

Look forward to catching some videos of you online sometime soon!

-KoeN
PsYkeR
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:33 pm

By the way, checked at your Myspace http://www.myspace.com/ZerosMakeHeroes ! I'm loving 'we're not alone'
SGarrett

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:01 am

PsYkeR wrote:Here's one I prepared earlier = )

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IHxoSnjD-Rk

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IHxoSnjD-Rk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IHxoSnjD-Rk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

This video is probably halfway between a category one and category two (according to NeiMo's OP). For me, posting Youtube videos gives me a 'benchmark' by which i can watch my style, technique and flair improve (hopefully) over the years. It's also a great opportunity to receive feedback, and I like the thought of getting exposure and being rewarded by comments and ratings for the hard work i put into music. Getting positive comments really inspires me to work on new songs!

My equipment has come a long way from my first youtube video (an old beat up pearl export kit recorded through the video function of my girlfriends old digital camera!) but the fact remains that we all have to start somewhere. You will have to find a happy compromise between spending thousands of dollars on equipment and spending hours refining recording and playing techniques (like Cobus), and just playing for fun, or to impress friends, or like you suggested, correcting other youtube users.

Ultimately, if you put up a youtube video that further down the track you are not impressed with, you can just remove it. It's not likely anybody will remember the 'not so good' videos. They're more likely to concentrate on your newer and more impressive vids!

Look forward to catching some videos of you online sometime soon!

-KoeN

Nice playing, bro. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
NeiMo
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:05 am

Thanks for your words PsYkeR. Cheers for checking out my band, glad you liked it.. and Nice playing man!
I like your idea of posting up a video and improving over the positive feedback.. That might be better for me as I don't really like people coming up to me face to face and being like "dude that was amazing.." or whatever.. no idea why, but if it was written down be better. :)
How did you record that video PsYkeR?
Just slam it all down after pressing record on a camcorder then shove the logic window thing in the top right later on?
SGarrett

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:33 am

NeiMo wrote:Thanks for your words PsYkeR. Cheers for checking out my band, glad you liked it.. and Nice playing man!
I like your idea of posting up a video and improving over the positive feedback.. That might be better for me as I don't really like people coming up to me face to face and being like "dude that was amazing.." or whatever.. no idea why, but if it was written down be better. :)
How did you record that video PsYkeR?
Just slam it all down after pressing record on a camcorder then shove the logic window thing in the top right later on?

Think about it, bro. How else would you record a video? :)
NeiMo
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:00 am

Think about it, bro. How else would you record a video?

Yea but like.. is camcorder video and sound quality really that good?
SGarrett

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:40 am

I answered that question already, in my first reply.

Your video quality will depend on how much you spend and what format you use. Professionals use MiniDV and you can buy a new MiniDV camcorder for around $300-5000+ or look around on eBay. I just got a complete ViewCam MiniDV for $85 shipped. Your sound quality will also depend on the quality of your audio source. If you spend $5k on a camcorder you'll probably get pretty good sound from the on-board mic'. Otherwise, you'll want to use mic's to get quality sound. From there, you'll need to mix the audio and video together using whatever editing program you want. Thousands of people have success with Windows Movie Maker, but if you want something else you have the information super-highway at your fingertips.

Don't overthink the simple stuff, man. Like I said earlier, if you want professional results you're not going to get them for a low cost unless you've already got the know-how and equipment. Since you don't really have either, you just might have to settle for what you can get, ya' know?
NeiMo
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:51 am

SIIIICK. cheers buddie.. thats the main thing I wanted to know (MiniDV)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
PsYkeR
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi NeiMo!

The video camera i used to record this video was just a very simple Olympus digital camera. This was the first of my youtube videos to NOT use windows movie maker. I scored Sony Vegas for Christmas! It's really fantastic, but i hear that Adobe Premiere Pro is also pretty neat. I used Camstudio to capture the video feed from my composition, which i made in Ableton Live (i was previously using FL Studio, or Fruity Loops, as it is more commonly known). To record the drums, I used two over heads, a snare, and a kick drum from the Audix dp7 drum microphone pack. these were run through my Focusrite Saffire pro mixer. I adjusted the levels in the mix, and chucked on a tonne of compression, Reverb and a little bit of Filter on the high end of the EQ. im still learning about this stuff, but that doesn't stop me from adding new videos to youtube! People on this forum have provided great feedback over the last few months, SGarrett being one of them! If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.
NeiMo
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:39 am

Cheers mate.. Another quality post. I used to have an account on here when the site first started but it sucked cos nobody really did anything, then I forgot my password.. Now I've rejoined, everyones being dead helpful :)
Thanks again guys!