I've got 3 mics to record my whole set

All about drum recording technique, mics, software etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Joezeppi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:32 pm

I'm thinking one on the kick, one overhead, and based on previous attempts I feel that I need to record the low toms with the extra mic. I have a 14" and 16" floor tom that don't project as well as the smaller drums of course. Should I put a mic in between the two of them? It's a regular Shure vocal mic.
Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
Joezeppi
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: I've got 3 mics to record my whole set

Postby uncoatedtitan » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:10 pm

That should be alright. Unfortunately, the only drum you will be able to eq and compress properly will be your kick. You can probably get a decent sound out of your floor toms as well, just be sure your toms are in tune and your eq will probably turn out alright.

A little tip for eq-ing your kick. Use a 4 or 5 band eq. take your mid range all the way up and sweep the mids until you find that nasty boxy sound. drop those frequencies down -3/-4 dB, boost around 5k by 3/4 dB to pull out the knock sound of the kick, and roll off your high end around 10k to help isolate your kick, and your low end around 50hZ to eliminate too much rumble. Use another band and boost the low end a few dB's if your kick needs a little more presence. This creates a nice tone for the kick. I think you'll be happy with it.

Joey Spurlock
As Angels Engage
uncoatedtitan
new
new

Re: I've got 3 mics to record my whole set

Postby SGarrett » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:44 pm

That should work. Put the floor tom mic' about 1-1.5 feet above so it doesn't pick up too much and cause an imbalance with the rack toms. Angle it towards the snare for more snare and away for less.

The most important things with minimal mic'ing are how the drums are tuned and how the room sounds.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Return to Recording Drums