1 overhead, 1 kick, thats it!

All about drum recording technique, mics, software etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Postby dannycareyisgod » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Hey everyone. Recently I just recorded with my band, and my guitarist has a pretty decent kick drum mic, and then a pretty decent overhead mic. I was a little skeptical of the idea at first, but when I heard the finished product, I realized that we got a really good sound going. So I guess the point of this was to maybe ask what else I can do to get an even better, more balanced sound. I wish I could mic every drum, but unfortunately my band mates mixer doesn't have that many inputs :(.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Corey
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

Zildjian A Customs-------> 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" fast crash, 14" hi-hats.
dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby Alan_ » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:07 pm

you at least want kick, snare and stereo overheads if you want to beef it up.

if you're going to be covering toms with your overhead mics, larger diaphragm condenser microphones would be great. small diaphragm mics won't pick up some of the lower tones of the toms as well.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby JasonDeLima » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:11 pm

That's how I record.
To improve, you should get 2 overheads.
Ludwig
Saluda
Remo
3drumsticks
YouTube
MySpace
William Allen White
JasonDeLima
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby dannycareyisgod » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Alan_ wrote:you at least want kick, snare and stereo overheads if you want to beef it up.

if you're going to be covering toms with your overhead mics, larger diaphragm condenser microphones would be great. small diaphragm mics won't pick up some of the lower tones of the toms as well.

thats what i want to do. i want my toms to sound real low and booming, i want my kick to be kinda loud, and i want my cymbals and snare to sound balanced.
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

Zildjian A Customs-------> 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" fast crash, 14" hi-hats.
dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Rem » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:57 am

seriously, low priced large diaphragm condensors, go for behringer B-1s

they are very low priced and you can use them for lots of stuff
Drumming is my passion.
Recording is a habit.

R.I.P Mitch Mitchell
Rem
session drummer
session drummer

Postby Mitchell? » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:00 pm

Yerp, you need some large-diaphragm condensers.

And a Shure SM57 for the snare.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Postby jmanhughes » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:47 pm

If you can mix them on a computer with a program like Audacity or something, you could copy the the overhead track and do a low pass on one and a hig pass on the other(ending with 3 total tracks). That might help bring about a bit more clarity. Then beef up the kick track maybe.
PDP MXR and Meinl Byzance
jmanhughes
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby DrumsPlus » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:07 am

This is the set-up Jason Bittner used at DRT 2008. One over head condenser mic and a kick mic. The set sounded great. I know both mics where Shures but I am not sure which ones. The point is, with good mics, I know it can be done and done really well with just 2 mics.
groove master

Postby Alan_ » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 am

audio technica and samson make some EXCELLENT large diaphragm condensers for cheap.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby TurbulenceDrummer » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:21 pm

the only reason to mic toms is to get more control over the mix

i mic like this

1 Snare
1 Kick
1 rack tom
2 floor toms
1 hi hat
2 overhead
1 over ride bell

can be a bit of a pain in the ass but considering how obsessed i am with the right mix its worth it
www.myspace.com.turbulencerules

Pearl Masters
Sabian HH
Iron Cobra/Roadpro Hardware
TurbulenceDrummer
beginner
beginner

Postby camerondh » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:58 pm

I've seen alot of odd mic set ups, but I think preference plays a part. I like that alot of you guys are mentioning condensing mics, that is definitely a good thought.
The last time I recorded I had a Shure sm57 on the bottom of the snare because I didn't want an overbearing snare sound. I had 4 overhead mics; two set about a two and half feet above my right and left crashes, the other two on the sides. It captured alot because I was in a small space, but I've heard that even 6 overheads works good. I mic the tops of my toms and the batter and resonant side of my bass drums. I also mic the top of my high hats. Shure sm57 mics are pretty good for that, but there are definitely some impeccable senheizer mics. good luck
Vision will blind - Severance ties - Median am I - True are all lies
camerondh
new
new

Re: 1 overhead, 1 kick, thats it!

Postby BillRayDrums » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:35 pm

I record like that fairly often but the engineer also sets up room mics a little farther out to capture the stereo sound out front.

However, recording this way will require you to present a balanced sound from the source. I would suggest playing your kit a little quieter, then balancing the sounds within that manner.

You would be quite surprised at how much better the drums sound when you play them quieter than normal.
BillRayDrums
Member Of The Year 2010
Member Of The Year 2010

Postby Alan_ » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:38 pm

BillRayDrums wrote:However, recording this way will require you to present a balanced sound from the source. I would suggest playing your kit a little quieter, then balancing the sounds within that manner.

THAT'S THE MONEY RIGHT THERE!
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:44 am

Sometimes it pays to be simple, the less mics you are using the less chance there is for phase cancellation. If you dont know much about the technical side of recording I would recommend only using a 1 kick, 1 snare, and 2 condenser mics overhead, preferably a large diaphram condenser but I have used 2 pencil condensers and they sounded great. Would also recommend a large diaphram condenser at the other end of the room and then adjust the level in the mix, gives it a great, open, natural reverb. But even with all the technology that is out there it all comes down to how the drums are tuned. I would definitely recommend getting the best possible wide open sound out of your drums before you ever start worrying about mics and placement. Also to answer the question about not having many inputs on a mixer - do live takes, your drums will definitely get picked up by the amp mics and vocal mics, which might not be good for the other band members sound but they can always go back and overdub.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Recording Drums