DW vs Orange County

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: sacramento, calif

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:10 pm

Steaky wrote:Damien. What's the point in spending sooo much money on a kit when your playing with Bands that play with cheap shit Guitars with childish stickers all over them??? I'll bet that's not a 1964 Gibson in that picture.


That is an excellent point Steaky, also, if they're playing the local club scene, he can't be making the kind of cash that would justify that kind of expense. I'd expect to see a Joey Jordison Pearl Export set to compliment those cheezy skull and crossbones stencilled on the speaker cabs. Arr Harr!!!!
User avatar
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:19 pm

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Come on guys, he paid 6K for a set of 17,000 dollar vinyl stickers, I bet them skull and bones cost half that. We are meeting the ELITE here. We should be honored.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes


Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
User avatar
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: sacramento, calif

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:09 pm

ThePloughman wrote:Come on guys, he paid 6K for a set of 17,000 dollar vinyl stickers, I bet them skull and bones cost half that. We are meeting the ELITE here. We should be honored.


Ya know, normally I don't like to rag on people or criticize their choices and opinions, and maybe I got a little carried away with this one..... Nah! But lately there seems to be more than a few of these jamokes on here raggin' on our choices and opinions, like the GOOB's on the other threads who compare the likes of Joey, Lars and Travis to Buddy Rich. I know a lot of you guys have some AWESOME kits and I have a special fondness for Ploughman's vintage Rogers set.
This guy here talkin' bout his great investment.....well, lemmee put it this way. Ringo made hundreds of millions of dollars playing an off the shelf Ludwig set. I consider that a pretty good investment.
User avatar
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:19 pm

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:22 pm

Ludwig also made bazillions of dollars because Ringo played an off the shelf kit. Most visible non endorsed player ever. And valuable. If I understand it right, .......Ringo wasnt signed.


I play what I play by choice. Well, except for the Ayotte Customs.........that was pure luck.
I bought that set for the cases. hehehe.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes


Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
User avatar
Timekeep69
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:09 pm

If Damian's kit lists for $17k then mine must list for $25k

Image
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:54 pm

I see that you put the band's logo on the other kick head.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
User avatar
Atmerrill
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Murrieta, Ca (Southern California)

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:22 pm

[quote="Damian_Arletto"]Most of you are basing your choices upon what you personally can afford and I didn't see anyone who actually owns an OCDP respond so I will. I don't think many of you have ever played on one either, let alone dealt with them on a customer support level. I own 2 OCDP kits and have gone through the whole process with them. Go call John at the factory. He is the president and one of the owners and he will make sure that you get what you want. No bullshit. Some of you are whining like little girls. Face it not everyone can afford an exotic kit whether it be OCDP, DW, Sonor, etc. whatever brand you like. Those who do buy these types of kits know what they want and what kind of sound they're looking for. So unless you own a top of the line DW or OCDP kit quit your snivelling. By the way I paid $5,600.00 for a $17,000.00 OC kit (Drums Only)]



Nice kit. Congrats on having a vision and the financial wherewithal to make the vision a reality. At the end of the day, it makes sitting on the set that much sweeter. If you’re digging it, rock on home-boy!

Just to have a good lay of the land, I don’t believe a lot of the members of this site are really that receptive to high end kits, and it seems to go double for drums made by boutique shops. I tend to believe even if someone brought out a high end Noble&Cooley, Craviato, or whatever and posted on DML, it would probably be pooh-poohed for reasons real and imagined. Notions of “high end” seems to be highly varied, and too often we’re simply dissed for being “elitest.”

On balance, I’m glad you spent that much money on your set so I can now have somewhere to show my wife that someone spent more on their kit than I did on mine. And, to the issue of shells, I can only offer that if Ford had talked about using Keller shells (maple, birch or their mahogany series) for my kit, I wouldn’t have spent as much as I did either on my set either. We both had a hand in getting what we want, I do hope time though proves your investment worthwhile—esp. if you ever have to sell your set. Nice set, but I tend to also think $17K for it is someone’s wet dream. God bless capitalism and marketing.
Alden Merrill

Slingerland and Ford Drums, Zildjian Cymbals,
Aquarian Heads, Vater and Vic Firth Sticks
User avatar
skitch
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 816
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:20 pm
Location: www.dominoretroplate.com

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:51 pm

Atmerrill wrote:

Nice kit. Congrats on having a vision and the financial wherewithal to make the vision a reality. At the end of the day, it makes sitting on the set that much sweeter. If you’re digging it, rock on home-boy!

Just to have a good lay of the land, I don’t believe a lot of the members of this site are really that receptive to high end kits, and it seems to go double for drums made by boutique shops. I tend to believe even if someone brought out a high end Noble&Cooley, Craviato, or whatever and posted on DML, it would probably be pooh-poohed for reasons real and imagined. Notions of “high end” seems to be highly varied, and too often we’re simply dissed for being “elitest.”

On balance, I’m glad you spent that much money on your set so I can now have somewhere to show my wife that someone spent more on their kit than I did on mine. And, to the issue of shells, I can only offer that if Ford had talked about using Keller shells (maple, birch or their mahogany series) for my kit, I wouldn’t have spent as much as I did either on my set either. We both had a hand in getting what we want, I do hope time though proves your investment worthwhile—esp. if you ever have to sell your set. Nice set, but I tend to also think $17K for it is someone’s wet dream. God bless capitalism and marketing.


Well said Alden!

By the way, Alden is a fantastic drummer, as I witnessed at the Drum battle at the Winter NAMM show! I hope to have some spare time to get that video edited down soon!
User avatar
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:19 pm

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:10 pm

Im pretty receptive to high end. I started on High End. Its all Ive ever played.

As for OCDP, I look at it this way......theres a freaking bazillion DW kits out there. Ive seen maybe 3 complaint threads dealing with drums over the past 9 years Ive been on the internet.

And thers been literally dozens about OCDP. Problems, bad wrap, delamination of wrap, things crooked, things breaking, lugs breaking, crappy customer service, sending drums in to be rewrapped...... there a huge freaking list.

Ayotte gurantees their Custom line for 25 years to the original purchaser.

Thats high end you can count on. Unless of course they vanish.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes


Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
User avatar
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:56 pm
Location: sacramento, calif

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:16 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:If Damian's kit lists for $17k then mine must list for $25k

Image


That is one beautiful set of drums!!
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:53 am

ThePloughman wrote:Im pretty receptive to high end. I started on High End. Its all Ive ever played.

As for OCDP, I look at it this way......theres a freaking bazillion DW kits out there. Ive seen maybe 3 complaint threads dealing with drums over the past 9 years Ive been on the internet.

And thers been literally dozens about OCDP. Problems, bad wrap, delamination of wrap, things crooked, things breaking, lugs breaking, crappy customer service, sending drums in to be rewrapped...... there a huge freaking list.

Ayotte gurantees their Custom line for 25 years to the original purchaser.

Thats high end you can count on. Unless of course they vanish.


I'm pretty receptive to high end as well. You know, having sold them. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
User avatar
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:59 pm
Location: SoCal

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:33 am

without a doubt I would go with DW


OCDP is lame....it's all just a name...

screw travis barker
Check out my new tunes!

myspace.com/anjillapiazza

Ludwig classic maple drums
Supraphonic Snare
Regal Tip and Vic Firth Sticks
I proudly endorse Soultone Handmade Turkish cymbals
User avatar
Atmerrill
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 397
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Murrieta, Ca (Southern California)

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:00 am

ThePloughman wrote:Im pretty receptive to high end. I started on High End. Its all Ive ever played.

As for OCDP, I look at it this way......theres a freaking bazillion DW kits out there. Ive seen maybe 3 complaint threads dealing with drums over the past 9 years Ive been on the internet.

And thers been literally dozens about OCDP. Problems, bad wrap, delamination of wrap, things crooked, things breaking, lugs breaking, crappy customer service, sending drums in to be rewrapped...... there a huge freaking list.

Ayotte gurantees their Custom line for 25 years to the original purchaser.

Thats high end you can count on. Unless of course they vanish.



OCDP screwed a rewrap job on a Gretsch kit of mine about 9 years ago - just pathetic what those drums turned into looking like. I've taken the finish off of them, and will be rewrapping them later this year. I've also heard other complaints too. And, of course, I've played them and saw them at the NAMM show last two years straight...I didn't think they're anything to write home about much less have make drums for me. Obviously, this drummer felt differently. I hope he has a better experience than I did.
Alden Merrill

Slingerland and Ford Drums, Zildjian Cymbals,
Aquarian Heads, Vater and Vic Firth Sticks
User avatar
Alan_
groove master
groove master
Posts: 4204
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:47 am
Location: austin, tx

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:48 am

I have no problem with high-end custom kits whatsoever, but if I'm gonna lay out several grand, I would want something unique, like a Brady or Noble and Cooley. If somebody's using "standard" parts, I don't expect to pay that kind of price.

I'd be willing to pay more for a high-end Sonor or DW than an OC kit. There's a lot more in-house craft and engineering involved.
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:11 am

regarding people being "unreceptive" to high end kits on here...

i don't think that's true at all... the only high end kits i really see getting torn apart on this forum are the OCDPs and maybe a few other boutique brands that charge an arm and a leg solely because they're hip with the indie rock kids.