DW vs Orange County

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

titaniumSS
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:33 pm

I've owned a DW for 5 years and have dealt with customer service and they are great to deal with. Top notch guys.

I've also got an OCDP vented snare that is a nightmare. Customer service is fuckin horrible too. Won't help or fix their quality errors. NOT a good company to deal with.
www.myspace.com/episodefour
www.myspace.com/breakthebad

DW drums (8x10, 9x12, 11x14, 13x16, 18x22), Zildjian cymbals, 2 DW and OCDP snares, Vater/3drumsticks drumsticks, Roland electronics, Audix mics, Remo heads.
SGarrett

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:35 pm

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:
Damian_Arletto wrote:By the way I paid $5,600.00 for a $17,000.00 OC kit (Drums Only)

not trying to be a dick, but you're pretty gullable if you actually think that kit was ever worth $17k.

i didn't think people actually bought that whole 'retail price' discount line.

you paid $5,600 for a kit that costs no more than $900 (tops) in physical parts. you then paid $4,700 in labor.

No doubt. PJ probably could've made it for around $3k.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:57 pm

SGarrett wrote:
Damian_Arletto wrote:By the way I paid $5,600.00 for a $17,000.00 OC kit (Drums Only)

not trying to be a dick, but you're pretty gullable if you actually think that kit was ever worth $17k.

you paid $5,600 for a kit that costs no more than $900 (tops) in physical parts. you then paid $4,700 in labor.

... and i'm only guessing PJ doesn't get the same kind of discounts OCDP gets on parts / shells...
SGarrett

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:00 pm

SGarrett wrote:

... and i'm only guessing PJ doesn't get the same kind of discounts OCDP gets on parts / shells...

He does buy from the same supplier.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:04 pm

SGarrett wrote:
SGarrett wrote:

He does buy from the same supplier.

huh... i guess i was assuming there's probably some sort of price break depending on amount purchased... kinda 'the more you buy, the more you save' thing...

i could be wrong.
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:30 pm

Damian_Arletto wrote:Most of you are basing your choices upon what you personally can afford and I didn't see anyone who actually owns an OCDP respond so I will. I don't think many of you have ever played on one either, let alone dealt with them on a customer support level. I own 2 OCDP kits and have gone through the whole process with them. Go call John at the factory. He is the president and one of the owners and he will make sure that you get what you want. No bullshit. Some of you are whining like little girls. Face it not everyone can afford an exotic kit whether it be OCDP, DW, Sonor, etc. whatever brand you like. Those who do buy these types of kits know what they want and what kind of sound they're looking for. So unless you own a top of the line DW or OCDP kit quit your snivelling. By the way I paid $5,600.00 for a $17,000.00 OC kit (Drums Only)

[edit] Do not post such a disrespectful image again. [/edit]

Jeez!! Mr "I'm way too full of myself", I see you've missed the whole point of this thread, which doesn't surprise me a bit. I, for one, just don't like OCDP drums. I think old style tube lugs look too chincey. It's got nothing to do with whether I, or anyone else on here, thinks they are a quality company or not. I can afford whatever the hell I want, and I'm sure there's more than a few others on here that can also. There are a lot of good drum companies out there and a lot of great custom manufacturers, including Timekeep on here, who makes drums for Medicine Man Custom Drums.
I, for one, stand by any posts I've made on this particular thread. You play what you want and if you're happy with that, more power to ya. I play what I want and I'm perfectly happy with my choices. I'm damn glad I didn't have to spend $17,000 to find the sounds I like. If you ask me, the real snivelers and whiners are the ones who spend way too much so they can impress others, and then criticize anyone who doesn't measure up to their self imposed standard. Kind of like the bafoon who puts spinners, bling and a chrome hood scoop on his car, because a regular Ferrari isn't good enough!
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:53 pm

I'd also add that if what you can afford were the main criteria for your choice of drums, then all the top drummers would be playing OC, instead of darkening the world's stages and studios with Ludwig, DW, Gretsch, Pearl, Tama, Mapex, Slingerland, etc.
It's just a matter of choices. Don't criticize mine, I won't criticize your's. We don't all drive Corvette's, some of us drive Hummer's or Porsche's. The point is , there's more than one good choice.
Damian_Arletto
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:00 pm

I know there are a lot of great manufactures out there and also a lot of sweet vintage gear waiting to be picked up. I don't know about Medicine Man Drums, never heard of them. My whole point is I read many posts that just bag all over OCDP to each his own. I am extremely happy with my kit and that's what matters. They got it to me within 4 weeks of ordering it. I had a problem with the snare and they sent out a new one free of charge. They gave me a bunch of extra hardware. So yes I'm a little partial to them, I meant no disrespect to anybody reading this but if you were offended, tough. And just to let you nay sayers who say I paid way too much for a name badge my kit has an insured value of 3 times what I paid for it. Plus it's nice a tax write off. All in all I think it was a good investment.

Damian
Hit it hard. Hit it fast and beat it like you own it.
http://www.myspace.com/janesdamian
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Nice looking kit. but 17,000 dollars for 6 keller shells and a stick on logo....... is horse pucky.

Im not saying anything bad about your drums. They look nice. they probably are nice. but 17,000 seems like such an arbitrary figure, it just doesnt get any respect.

I own at least one vintage set that cost more than you paid.
I have a set of Ayotte Custom drums.
I own a couple snare drums that would go for over a grand.

So I meet your posted criteria to comment on 17,000 dollars being bullshit.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Damian_Arletto wrote:Most of you are basing your choices upon what you personally can afford and I didn't see anyone who actually owns an OCDP respond so I will. I don't think many of you have ever played on one either, let alone dealt with them on a customer support level. I own 2 OCDP kits and have gone through the whole process with them. Go call John at the factory. He is the president and one of the owners and he will make sure that you get what you want. No bullshit. Some of you are whining like little girls. Face it not everyone can afford an exotic kit whether it be OCDP, DW, Sonor, etc. whatever brand you like. Those who do buy these types of kits know what they want and what kind of sound they're looking for. So unless you own a top of the line DW or OCDP kit quit your snivelling. By the way I paid $5,600.00 for a $17,000.00 OC kit (Drums Only)

[edit] Do not post such a disrespectful image again. [/edit]

Nice kit, and i can bet it sounds amazing but I CAN NOT get past the fact that what you have there is a well made kit out of keller shells and hardware anyone can buy online. So why that price-tag? Surely Pj can craft a drumset of equal quality and precision and charge around half the price. But why? Well, some of it comes from not having to pay out as much as a normal company would, (rent, employees, etc) But that would only make up so much of the price difference. So what are you paying for? A name. Your paying for what it says on the badge of that drum. Your paying for theyre popularity. Your paying for orange countys advertising campaign and your paying that price simply because other people were willing to in the past. Your drums are very nice. but the way i see it, paying $200 for a pair of jeans just because they have the words "juicy" written on the side is just rediculous. and thats what your doing when you buy a set of orange county drums. Me? I'll buy the $200 jeans. but I'll take the ones that are $200 because theyre handmade in italy over the ones that are $200 becasue of what it says on the tag sewn into the inside. Catch my drift?

and I'd honestly like to know if you think that $17,000 is a seriouse figure. because whether or not its news to you, its a joke.

And thats all she wrote
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
SGarrett

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:31 am

ThePloughman wrote:Nice looking kit. but 17,000 dollars for 6 keller shells and a stick on logo....... is horse pucky.

Im not saying anything bad about your drums. They look nice. they probably are nice. but 17,000 seems like such an arbitrary figure, it just doesnt get any respect.

This is exactly the point.

OCPD is nothing more than overpriced hype. There are literally dozens of independent builders across the country who use the exact same materials from the exact same suppliers. The only difference is that they don't have Travis Barker and Adrian Young playing their kits so they can't charge a ridiculous price for the badge.
Timekeep69

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:59 am

Is that a standard black gloss wrap on those drums?
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:44 am

If i wrapped a keller shell in some black plastic would that be "exotic" too?
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:17 pm

SGarrett wrote:
ThePloughman wrote:Nice looking kit. but 17,000 dollars for 6 keller shells and a stick on logo....... is horse pucky.

This is exactly the point.

OCPD is nothing more than overpriced hype. There are literally dozens of independent builders across the country who use the exact same materials from the exact same suppliers. The only difference is that they don't have Travis Barker and Adrian Young playing their kits so they can't charge a ridiculous price for the badge.

Tell it Garrett and Ploughman. My thoughts exactly. There's a kit like that, only single kick, on Ebay right now that has white lugs and HOT PINK hoops and r.i.m.s. mounts. Gaudy times 3. Yeah! I guess they will build anything for anybody for the right price. Reminds me of where it mentions in the Bible about,"A fool and his money".
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Damien. What's the point in spending sooo much money on a kit when your playing with Bands that play with cheap shit Guitars with childish stickers all over them??? I'll bet that's not a 1964 Gibson in that picture.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!