DW vs Orange County

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:27 pm

Both great companies, i'm fan of both of them. as far as them being expensive, yes they are, but people still pay what they ask. therefore, their prices increase. you guys forget that they are companies. they want to make money, if they can use their reputations to increase their prices, well then they can if we decide to pay that because we want those drums that fucking bad.[/quote]

We all do that as Individual musicians or Bands. Why bitch about the company's doing it? Thats life. You got to pay for the good shit. How about the owners/sellers of 30/40's Slinger Radio King snare's. They ain't gonna be selling you that Drum for anything less than a month's wage cause it's the Dog's B's. Plus you know the labour cost's of U.S kit's are high because the workers are looked after and not exploited sweatshop style.

A sweatshop kit may sound better and be half the price but would you buy it? You probably already have.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:54 am

PDP9000 wrote:
xdoseonex wrote:theyre both so overpriced for what they are. I'd steer clear of both those companies.

Ya they are a little over priced but the sound that Dw drums have are amazing.

I think theyre very overpriced. But they make some of the nicest off the shelf drums money can buy
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:31 am

Craviotto is expensive. But you do get what you pay for.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:29 pm

I usually don't chime in on these debates....if you like sarcasm, you can check out my post regarding Ludwig vs Gretsch. Most of the time, these debates make about as much sense as would the "1972 Miami Dolphins beat the 2007 New England Patriots?"

What do you want out of a drum? That is the question! Do you just want a bunch of drums for the least amout of money? Do you want a high quality drum? What is the most important factor to you when you buy a drum?

WE have talked about DW and OC, what a about Ford drums or Craviotto? These are drums that are constructed in the modern sense but harken back to the vintage days....expensive, yes. But what sound are you looking for?
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:34 am

You dont buy a Ferrari or Lambroghini to commute in stop and go traffic every day. You wouldnt buy a Craviotto if you dont plan on top line cases, the best of care and transport, and you certainly wouldnt drag it naked in the back of a truck in the rain to a run down dive that has chicken wire around the stage. If you are playing high end private gigs, specialty shows where the visibility of the kit is as much a factor as the sound of the kit........ thats where you drive the ferarri.

For the most part, at any level, you do get what you pay for. I think you just have to decide if you are paying for the quality of a drum, or the machine hype thats pimping it out.

Craviotto is worthy.
ThePloughman

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:15 pm

[quote="ThePloughman"]You dont buy a Ferrari or Lambroghini to commute in stop and go traffic every day. You wouldnt buy a Craviotto if you dont plan on top line cases, the best of care and transport, and you certainly wouldnt drag it naked in the back of a truck in the rain to a run down dive that has chicken wire around the stage. If you are playing high end private gigs, specialty shows where the visibility of the kit is as much a factor as the sound of the kit........ thats where you drive the ferarri.

For the most part, at any level, you do get what you pay for. I think you just have to decide if you are paying for the quality of a drum, or the machine hype thats pimping it out.

Craviotto is worthy.[/quote

I agree with Ploughman's Ferrari theory. Do you plunk down $6,000 for a 4 piece kit to impress other people, when a top of the line Gretsch, Ludwig, Mapex, Pearl, Tama, Slingerland or maybe a vintage Rogers kit would suit your needs for less than 1/2 the cost? Remember, Buddy Rich, Gene krupa, John Bonham, Max Roach and most of the other guys that we consider drum Gods play/played off the shelf kits made by the aforementioned companies and sounded just fine and if memory serves,
playing inferior non custom made kits in no way hampered their skills or playing ability.
I would just add to Ploughman's statement, if you are filthy stinking rich or are so famous that companies like DW and OCDP give you the drums just so your fans will be impressed, then by all means go ahead and buy them. Just, please stop criticizing those of us who have to settle for inferior top of the line gear.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:20 pm

I'll just stick with my old ludwigs for now, personally. I'm doing research on possibly getting a kit in the next few years, haven't decided whether I want another vintage kit or something new. If new, probably looking at a Sonor kit, a Fibes acrylic kit, or something custom.
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:32 pm

Alan_ wrote:I'll just stick with my old ludwigs for now, personally. I'm doing research on possibly getting a kit in the next few years, haven't decided whether I want another vintage kit or something new. If new, probably looking at a Sonor kit, a Fibes acrylic kit, or something custom.

If your thinking acrylic, Sonor also makes acrylic sets, as does Tama, Spaun, Pork Pie and of course there's good old vistalite's, which appear to be making a nice comeback thanks to the Retro Bonham kits. Just some suggestions.
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:38 pm

Theres a lot can be said for some of those old off the shelf now vintage non custom drums made by Rogers in the 1960s. In April 06........ I chose a vintage Rogers set over the Dubs, and the Dubs were actually cheaper. Not by much, but they were.
ThePloughman

Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:50 pm

ThePloughman wrote:Theres a lot can be said for some of those old off the shelf now vintage non custom drums made by Rogers in the 1960s. In April 06........ I chose a vintage Rogers set over the Dubs, and the Dubs were actually cheaper. Not by much, but they were.

Pics of your kit make me drool! My Dad's drummer had a kit like that back in the 60's and 70's. I got to play them from time to time which began my affinity for Dyna-sonic snare drums. I remember even as a teenage Ginger Baker wannabe I could play a roll so smooth and tight it sounded like a bee buzzing around the room. Alas dear Rogers, where didst thou go?
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:21 pm

ThePloughman wrote:You dont buy a Ferrari or Lambroghini to commute in stop and go traffic every day. You wouldnt buy a Craviotto if you dont plan on top line cases, the best of care and transport, and you certainly wouldnt drag it naked in the back of a truck in the rain to a run down dive that has chicken wire around the stage.

Actually, in my neck of the woods, some drummers would do these exact things.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:00 am

ThePloughman wrote:You dont buy a Ferrari or Lambroghini to commute in stop and go traffic every day. You wouldnt buy a Craviotto if you dont plan on top line cases, the best of care and transport, and you certainly wouldnt drag it naked in the back of a truck in the rain to a run down dive that has chicken wire around the stage. If you are playing high end private gigs, specialty shows where the visibility of the kit is as much a factor as the sound of the kit........ thats where you drive the ferarri.

Craviotto is worthy.

or in this case the "collector" status
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Damian_Arletto
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:12 pm

Most of you are basing your choices upon what you personally can afford and I didn't see anyone who actually owns an OCDP respond so I will. I don't think many of you have ever played on one either, let alone dealt with them on a customer support level. I own 2 OCDP kits and have gone through the whole process with them. Go call John at the factory. He is the president and one of the owners and he will make sure that you get what you want. No bullshit. Some of you are whining like little girls. Face it not everyone can afford an exotic kit whether it be OCDP, DW, Sonor, etc. whatever brand you like. Those who do buy these types of kits know what they want and what kind of sound they're looking for. So unless you own a top of the line DW or OCDP kit quit your snivelling. By the way I paid $5,600.00 for a $17,000.00 OC kit (Drums Only)

[edit] Do not post such a disrespectful image again. [/edit]

Hit it hard. Hit it fast and beat it like you own it.
http://www.myspace.com/janesdamian
SGarrett

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:19 pm

Well, aren't you quite the fan boy.

I've played both and dealt with customer service with both. Drum sales. :)

The fact is simply this. You, I, or anyone else can buy all of the same products OCDP uses. Why spend such an upcharge on labor when a place like Medicine Man will give you the same quality at a realistic price? No sniveling about it, just reality. You paid extra for a badge. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:31 pm

Damian_Arletto wrote:By the way I paid $5,600.00 for a $17,000.00 OC kit (Drums Only)

not trying to be a dick, but you're pretty gullable if you actually think the kit you posted was ever worth $17k.

you paid $5,600 for a kit that costs no more than $900 (tops) in physical parts. you then paid $4,700 in labor.
Last edited by sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.