DW vs Orange County

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
tapeworm97
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: El Paso, TECHSUS

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:26 pm

what do you guyz think is the best. both are very expensive drums and good hardware. and not to mention that pretty hard to get your hands on those kits.
<img src="http://www.freemyspacegraphics.com/Graphics/Funny_Animations/images/funny_myspace.gif">
PDP9000
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:16 am
Location: Hollywood CA

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:51 pm

Dw drums are way better because they have good sound to them and the wood is exotic or
whatever you chose. OCDP is a good but i think your really think you are paying for
the name insted of the drums but they do offer diffrent types of hardware but out of
the two i would buy the DW set.
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 562
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:58 am
Location: Fort Benning GA

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:56 pm

OCDP has way more options...point taken... and they sound great...don't get me wrong...but they're way too expensive... The price to overall package quality ratio is not a good one... DW is expensive as well, but a much better ratio... Sound wise, I still pull DW across the line..
PLay Hard, bro
Image
SGarrett
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5166
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:59 am

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:02 pm

TimeKeep69 (Medicine Man Custom Drums) uses all the same materials that OCDP uses and charges considerably less. If you're considering a custom kit, check them out.

Personally, I like DW for what they are, which includes their unique tone.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
User avatar
ThePloughman
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 729
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:19 pm

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:07 pm

Dubs are great drums. Some of the best ever made anytime. OCDP, is a lot of bogus over rated hype. They build nice looking drums, and will make you a clown set if you want them. But theres a lot of hype in what they do and what they offer. If I was buying a new top end kit, the choice would not be OCDP.
ThePloughman

ThePloughman wrote:Duct Tape, Moongells, and Remos...... with pinstripes


Rogers Drums USA

Check this out
http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showt ... p?t=196158
User avatar
joshjmj
beginner
beginner
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:10 pm

i personally like dw but orange county sets can get crazy as far as custom orders. the main reason i like dw is because the company that does all of dws custom wood finishes and exotic wood imports is vanhout. its a company in indiana usa and the owner is one of my friends. lol so natually i'm a promoter of dw. if you like premade sets that are of great quallity choose dw. if you want to control every aspect of your set without spending 20,000 dollars go with orange county.
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:03 am
Location: Galesville, WI

Post Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:57 pm

I like DW better. They have the rep and the time in. As with others I would suggest looking around to all your options if your looking.
Image
_____________________
SilverFox HR Sticks
User avatar
dw_drums_4lyfe
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 am

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:56 am

dw's definetly sound better than OCDP, and theyre hardware is much much better, OCDP makes their drums look better than they actually sound! for one thing i dont get those massive holes in the snare, i honestly dont seem any point of them being there, but if you have the money go dw, unless you like the sound OCDP so its totaly up to you
User avatar
Medicman71
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:14 am
Location: Houston, Tx

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:57 am

I'd take DW in a heart beat.
Pacific Drums
Sabian Cymbals
ProMark Sticks
LP Percussion

How can you keep your head and not go insane when the only light at the end of the tunnel is another train.
User avatar
sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 5:38 am
Location: duluth, mn

Post Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:37 am

as said by many others, when you buy ocdp, you're paying an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for a brand name. they use the same shells and pretty much the same hardware as any other drum builder... including myself. some of their finishes are truly amazing, but is it worth that kind of money? hell no.
User avatar
Danidrums
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:54 am
Location: Grandvaux, Switzerland

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:17 am

sarcasmsetyourhouseonfire wrote:as said by many others, when you buy ocdp, you're paying an absolutely ridiculous amount of money for a brand name. they use the same shells and pretty much the same hardware as any other drum builder... including myself. some of their finishes are truly amazing, but is it worth that kind of money? hell no.


totally agree.
titaniumSS
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:18 am
Location: KCMO

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:55 am

DW by far. OCDP customer service and overall quality blows. In the 5 years I've dealt with DW (my set, snares and interaction with the guys over there), I have nothing but GREAT things to say about them and their product. They respond to any questions at a quick rate and are incredibly nice people. Not to mention the only problem I've had is a throwoff that broke (old design, 2 screw instead of 4 screw), and that was replaced and all was fine again. The next kit I get from DW will be custom and cost about $4500 for a 20x24 bass, 6x12 short tom, 11x14 fast tom, and 8x15 short tom. For the unique design I have in mind and the quality of the sound and structural integrity, it is a great deal.
www.myspace.com/episodefour
www.myspace.com/breakthebad

DW drums (8x10, 9x12, 11x14, 13x16, 18x22), Zildjian cymbals, 2 DW and OCDP snares, Vater/3drumsticks drumsticks, Roland electronics, Audix mics, Remo heads.
User avatar
dw_drums_4lyfe
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 am

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:13 am

titaniumSS wrote:DW by far. OCDP customer service and overall quality blows. In the 5 years I've dealt with DW (my set, snares and interaction with the guys over there), I have nothing but GREAT things to say about them and their product. They respond to any questions at a quick rate and are incredibly nice people. Not to mention the only problem I've had is a throwoff that broke (old design, 2 screw instead of 4 screw), and that was replaced and all was fine again. The next kit I get from DW will be custom and cost about $4500 for a 20x24 bass, 6x12 short tom, 11x14 fast tom, and 8x15 short tom. For the unique design I have in mind and the quality of the sound and structural integrity, it is a great deal.


wow that sounds like a really cool kit, post some pics when you get it
titaniumSS
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 192
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:18 am
Location: KCMO

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:22 am

dw_drums_4lyfe wrote:
titaniumSS wrote:DW by far. OCDP customer service and overall quality blows. In the 5 years I've dealt with DW (my set, snares and interaction with the guys over there), I have nothing but GREAT things to say about them and their product. They respond to any questions at a quick rate and are incredibly nice people. Not to mention the only problem I've had is a throwoff that broke (old design, 2 screw instead of 4 screw), and that was replaced and all was fine again. The next kit I get from DW will be custom and cost about $4500 for a 20x24 bass, 6x12 short tom, 11x14 fast tom, and 8x15 short tom. For the unique design I have in mind and the quality of the sound and structural integrity, it is a great deal.


wow that sounds like a really cool kit, post some pics when you get it


Will do, guess you guys will just have to deal with my boring broken glass kit and 3 snares in the pictures section for now lol
www.myspace.com/episodefour
www.myspace.com/breakthebad

DW drums (8x10, 9x12, 11x14, 13x16, 18x22), Zildjian cymbals, 2 DW and OCDP snares, Vater/3drumsticks drumsticks, Roland electronics, Audix mics, Remo heads.
User avatar
dw_drums_4lyfe
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 am

Post Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:59 am

titaniumSS wrote:
dw_drums_4lyfe wrote:
titaniumSS wrote:DW by far. OCDP customer service and overall quality blows. In the 5 years I've dealt with DW (my set, snares and interaction with the guys over there), I have nothing but GREAT things to say about them and their product. They respond to any questions at a quick rate and are incredibly nice people. Not to mention the only problem I've had is a throwoff that broke (old design, 2 screw instead of 4 screw), and that was replaced and all was fine again. The next kit I get from DW will be custom and cost about $4500 for a 20x24 bass, 6x12 short tom, 11x14 fast tom, and 8x15 short tom. For the unique design I have in mind and the quality of the sound and structural integrity, it is a great deal.


wow that sounds like a really cool kit, post some pics when you get it


Will do, guess you guys will just have to deal with my boring broken glass kit and 3 snares in the pictures section for now lol


hey i have a broken glass kit to! ill check yours out