tuning my tom

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Gazdkw82§
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu May 31, 2007 3:58 pm

i cant seem to tune my 10" tom its doing my head in. Its a yamaha maple custom i purchased second hand recently. Iv took it apart clean it, checked the shell, lugs, tension rods, hoop etc and everythin is fine.

The problem is when i go to fine tune both sides its near impossible. This is mainly because when im tapping next to every lug and make an adjustment it changes the sound so dramatically, its like its super sensative. Im only turning the smalling amounts too 1 lug if its abit low compared to the rest which are all the same and it makes a massive change, so much that the rest of the lugs change too.

The way i tune is get finger tight, then a half turn each lug (6 lugs in this case) then fine tune from there (well try lol)

any ideas?
drumsforlife
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu May 31, 2007 6:50 pm

Try different heads...

or if your heads are new, just tune them relatively where you want until their broken in.

I usually play on new heads for two or three days before fine tuning them...

I'm part of the brotherhood of like-minded individuals who like to bang on things.
stump

Post Thu May 31, 2007 7:48 pm

For new heads make sure that they are seated properly and tighten them to a medium tension to begin with. Place the drum on a flat surface and apply pressure to the middle of the batter head...don't worry if you hear some light cracking sounds, it's the head. This will get the head into the condition that you need it to propely tune it. Tighten the lugs equally until you get the tone desired. A tension or torque style key will help if you are new to tuning your kit. If you continue to have problems with that particular drum then check and make sure that whom ever you bought it from didn't sell you a warped drum. Good luck!
It's so important to make best friends in life!

Tama,PDP and Medicine Man Drums, Zildjian, Remo, Roc-n-Soc, DW and Pro-mark.

loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:27 am

Use the search engine
dim my eyes if they should compromise