loads of toms or just the 1 and the floor tom

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

drummert2k

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 pm

kick drum, snare drum and floor tom. thats my kit and im sticking to it. as stated above, im not a fan of big kits either. i've seen too many drummers have a huge kit and play it like a 4 piece. they just have the drums there for show. now kudos to the ones utilizing all their drums, but anything that can be played on a monster kit can be played to sound just as good on a 4 or 5 piece kit. but thats just my opinion.
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:26 pm

I ues 1 rack tom and 2 floor toms
drumteacher41
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:09 am

hi, 2 rack toms and 1 floor plus a snare beside the hi hat. If your a steady working musician u will not want all those toms. Check out "Zoro the drummer" see what he does with a 4 piece kit. U will find u dont need loads of toms...DT41
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:17 am

drummert2k wrote:im a 1 top tom and 1 floor tom guy myself. although i've been thinking about ripping the top tom off and only using the floor. really make myself work to come up with creative drum parts.

I'm a 4 piece guy as well, but every now and then (okay about 1/3 of the time lately) I just go kick, snare, hats, ride and crash. I come from the mindset that if you're playing rock and you can't get it done with just those pieces, you need to do some work on fundamentals, then build back up from there.

There isn't anything wrong with having a big kit, just so long as you know how to play it. With inexperienced players, more drums/cymbals can be distracting (not always) and keep the person from developing good feel (which I believe should be emphasized as one of the most important first steps for a drummer to take.)

I guess I've just seen a few 7 piece kits with a complete novice behind them lately. If you bought your first set of drums recently, keep in mind that you don't have to set up/use every piece!
yee freakin' haw
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:56 am

drummert2k wrote:kick drum, snare drum and floor tom. thats my kit and im sticking to it. as stated above, im not a fan of big kits either. i've seen too many drummers have a huge kit and play it like a 4 piece. they just have the drums there for show. now kudos to the ones utilizing all their drums, but anything that can be played on a monster kit can be played to sound just as good on a 4 or 5 piece kit. but thats just my opinion.

I cant say i agree with that. 4 piece kits are suited well for many types of music. ANd i do se how with some drummers havibg alot of stuff to hit would make you gravitate toward the same fills all the time or hit something just because its there, where as on a 4 pieve you'd really have to think about where to place those notes. But i just dont think they work well for certain applications, including metal. Certain parts just arent gonna have the same effect. sometimes you need to have more toms. I think terry bozzio said it best. when he said
"I'm trying to play music on the drums. and so if your playing melodies you need notes. and you cant just have 2 toms becasue then you can only play 2 note melodies"

Think of terry trying to play the shit he plays on his set on a 4 piece. theres notes that are in songs that wouldnt be there on a 4 piece. Imagine you were a piano player and someone took away a shitload of your keys because they thought it would make you more creative.
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
drummert2k

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:14 am

xdoseonex wrote:
drummert2k wrote:kick drum, snare drum and floor tom. thats my kit and im sticking to it. as stated above, im not a fan of big kits either. i've seen too many drummers have a huge kit and play it like a 4 piece. they just have the drums there for show. now kudos to the ones utilizing all their drums, but anything that can be played on a monster kit can be played to sound just as good on a 4 or 5 piece kit. but thats just my opinion.

I cant say i agree with that. 4 piece kits are suited well for many types of music. ANd i do se how with some drummers havibg alot of stuff to hit would make you gravitate toward the same fills all the time or hit something just because its there, where as on a 4 pieve you'd really have to think about where to place those notes. But i just dont think they work well for certain applications, including metal. Certain parts just arent gonna have the same effect. sometimes you need to have more toms. I think terry bozzio said it best. when he said
"I'm trying to play music on the drums. and so if your playing melodies you need notes. and you cant just have 2 toms becasue then you can only play 2 note melodies"

Think of terry trying to play the shit he plays on his set on a 4 piece. theres notes that are in songs that wouldnt be there on a 4 piece. Imagine you were a piano player and someone took away a shitload of your keys because they thought it would make you more creative.

Terry's whole writting process would be differant if he played a 4 or 5 piece kit. his writting process would also be differant if he would add another 80 drums onto his kit. besides, we're not playing "notes" on the kit. we're creating feel and maintaining time. sure you can add melodic stuff in there but thats just the ear candy ontop of the rhythm structure. im by far not a fan of metal but my one band does do some metal songs and i play them on my 4 piece single kick kit and have yet to have someone come up to me and say "you didnt play that fill note for note like on the actual song". metal seems like the biggest stereotype is lots of drums and double pedal. everytime a topic comes up where someone is discussing lots of drums or playing double kick someone always throws in "you need that stuff to play metal" even in metal a 4 piece kit can be used very very effectivly.
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:57 am

I usually play one up one down, but I also like 2 up 1 down setup. Both are great, but I prefer the first one because it's easier to place the ride in a comfortable position.
dim my eyes if they should compromise
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:05 pm

i like a smaller setup with more cymbals than drums.
my kit right now is bass drum, snare drum, rack tom, floor tom. sometimes i'll add my other rack tom next to my hi-hat.
Beat on.
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:05 am

i dunno, i really disagree that metal can be played effectively on a small kit. iv hear alot of drummers do it and it all sound like it lacking somehting. unless your the sickest around with the heel toe technique your not gonna be pulluing of 16thys at 200 bpm's with one foot. sometimes metal calls for that stuff. im not saying you cant get away with having 2 tioms and playing metal, but if you dont have a double kick your not gonna be able to creat certain effects that are signature to metal
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Tyman345
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:42 pm

my set came with 1 up 2 down but i am currently using 1 up, 1 down. i just like having less drums but making alot of sound out of them.
Solix
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:14 pm

It depends what I'm doing...

For my main band (which is a "punk" band) I use two rack toms (12" and 13") and one floor tom (16"). For our side project, I just use the floor tom, snare and bass drum, for two reasons:

1. I was feeling lazy the first day we practiced and didn't want to drag my rack toms along
2. I figured a different set-up would help me avoid just using the same beats/fills I do for the main band. Which I think it does.
Olie_Mapex
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:32 am

I play 3 up 2 down and use all of it and it sounds good, even if im just effing around, or so i here from my neighbors and anyone else i ask and tell them not to bs me. but if its a small gig like back yard bash (b-day, graduation, you know shit for friends) i set up 4 or 5 piece depending on the room i have. this is my second kit after playing a 5 pc. for 5 yrs.
Why you so stupid? silly rabbit, you no hungry for trix...you hungry for HOT POCKET. (save the drums bang a drummer)

ME http://www.myspace.com/jewishnazi68

BAND http://www.myspace.com/wreckingromanceband
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:55 am

xdoseonex wrote:i dunno, i really disagree that metal can be played effectively on a small kit. iv hear alot of drummers do it and it all sound like it lacking somehting. unless your the sickest around with the heel toe technique your not gonna be pulluing of 16thys at 200 bpm's with one foot. sometimes metal calls for that stuff. im not saying you cant get away with having 2 tioms and playing metal, but if you dont have a double kick your not gonna be able to creat certain effects that are signature to metal

there are many cases in which double bass is not needed in metal music. there is no rule that says you need double bass to play metal. not all metal even requires fast playing. if it does, you can do fills with one foot and two hands.
Beat on.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:39 am

2 up 2 down, I like the range for longer roll fills.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

drummert2k

Post Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:25 pm

xdoseonex wrote: im not saying you cant get away with having 2 tioms and playing metal, but if you dont have a double kick your not gonna be able to creat certain effects that are signature to metal

by "signature" of metal do you mean "stereotypical" of metal? some of the best drummers are the ones who dont conform to their genre and think outside the box. just because 98% o the metal you hear is fast double kicking and long toms fills down the toms doesnt mean thats what you have to play. just my opinion but a great feel and groove and creativity is more impressive to me than speed and double kicking and long toms fills is anyday.