Rims: What's the Difference?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

phil-drummer
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon May 21, 2007 7:42 am

apparently, according to nicko mccbrain that die cast rims " punish " your sticks n just leave em in splinters.
Pearl Hardware. Zildjian Cymbals. Vic Firth 7A Sticks. Remo Pintripes/Weatherking Heads
satanJohn
new
new

Post Mon May 21, 2007 9:31 am

Wood hoops give a drum a very noticable fatter tone. I had a bass drum that came with metal hoops and I replaced them with wooden ones. The Metal hoops gave the drum more high end ring. The cheap bass drum sounded tinny with its stock metal hoops but sounded fine with wood. The same difference in tone holds true with snare and toms too.
You need to consider what you are going to be using the kit for and your playing style. If a nice fat tone is your main goal, wood is best; if being heard over the guitars is a concern, you would be better off with metal rims. If you are a really hard hitter and like to play rim shots, metal would be better unless you have lots of money to replace wood hoops. I have 8 ply maple hoops on all my drums and they are all suspended on RIMS mounts. My 6x12 snare sounds like an old parade drum. The RIMS mount has a lot to do with that too.
hasthespaz
beginner
beginner

Post Mon May 21, 2007 9:56 am

satanJohn wrote:Wood hoops give a drum a very noticable fatter tone. I had a bass drum that came with metal hoops and I replaced them with wooden ones. The Metal hoops gave the drum more high end ring. The cheap bass drum sounded tinny with its stock metal hoops but sounded fine with wood. The same difference in tone holds true with snare and toms too.
You need to consider what you are going to be using the kit for and your playing style. If a nice fat tone is your main goal, wood is best; if being heard over the guitars is a concern, you would be better off with metal rims. If you are a really hard hitter and like to play rim shots, metal would be better unless you have lots of money to replace wood hoops. I have 8 ply maple hoops on all my drums and they are all suspended on RIMS mounts. My 6x12 snare sounds like an old parade drum. The RIMS mount has a lot to do with that too.

cheers man, i would like a nice fat tone, but scared of accidental rim shots, i hit pretty hard.. i may get metal then buy wooden ones later on this year, see if i like them better
Medical man
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon May 21, 2007 12:06 pm

I love wood hoops, but I would never put them on a kit I would be moving a lot. You see more wood hoops these days for guys with home studios. Mic a maple tom with maple wood hoops, and you can tell a difference. In a live situation it's more of a visual, and probably not worth the cost of replacing them when it inevitably happens.

Personally, I think putting more money into die-cast hoops on an entry level kit is probably going to have more impact than putting that same money into a lower-mid-level kit with entry level hardware. Die-cast hoops (2.3 MM!) can help you achieve a pro sound from a mahogany kit.

Other things you can do with an entry level kit to make it more like a pro kit (without anyone knowing):

- Have the bearing edges recut. If you have a double-sided 45 degree cut, consider getting it rounded, or going more extreme. Often times the bearing edges on entry level kits are mediocre. Having them recut to the same measurements by a professional drum worker may immediately improve the sound and performance of your drum. The cost is generally $25 to $45, depending on the drum.

- Consider maple reinforcement rings. Pacific has used these on their low-end kits with great success. Honestly? They sound great to me. They provide a stabilizing factor to the tone.

- Upgrade your tom hardware. Turn your floor toms into hanging toms. There are all kinds of things you can do to give your toms more tone, sustain, whatever you're looking for.

- Upgrade the heads. This seems like a no-brainer, but heads are a HUGE part of any drum's sound and I see guys playing with El Cheapo heads all the time. Change batter and reso heads. Don't go cheap on these. You will be surprised at how much better your drums will sound with quality heads. If you've always had two-ply heads, try a good single-ply head. If you've always had single-play, try a good two-ply head.

- New wrap or finish! If you already like the sound of your kit, consider a new custom look for your kit. Make it look like you've spent a great deal more than you really have.

I did all of the above on an old Export kit that was my primary gigging kit for several years. I don't have any qualms with Pearl at all -- the kit was great -- but I always sort of enjoyed that people thought I was playing a custom maple kit. It was really just a mass-manufactured mahogany kit. ;)
FelterSkelter
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon May 21, 2007 3:39 pm

I understood that reinforcement rings take away from the shell resonance at the most important points in a drum.
hasthespaz
beginner
beginner

Post Mon May 21, 2007 3:44 pm

naah cant be bothered with that, im building myself a high end kit... i did however do the last one (wel taken off the wrap to reveal rather shoddy pearl export shells) and sprayed on a new finish... heres what it came out like...

rubish picture, my set ups slightly changed too, but hey!
Medical man
Kaos
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon May 21, 2007 6:57 pm

If you want wood hoops you should check out http://www.stellerdrum.com Jody builds some amazing hoops and drums check it out you won't be disapointed tell him Cory sent ya!