What to buy?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hardcore_drumm3r
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:51 am

Ok...so, right now i have a 5 piece Tama Swingstar. kinda crappy i know :?
but....my birthday's coming up and i already have about $800 dollars. ill have roughly $1300 for a new drum set. ive looked at a couple mapex's ive really liked but im just not sure whats best for the money! help?

-Tama Swingstars - Soon upgrading to a Mapex Pro M 6 piece
-Sabian Metal X and AA cymbals
-Remo Heads
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:23 pm

what cymbals do you have? if they arent very good i would tell you to replace them before you buy a new set. i have a set of swingstars that is approaching 4 years old and with coated g2s over clear g1s theyre sounding better than ever.

if you already have good cymbals (i expect you do since youre looking for new drums) then i would say save until you can get a pro set...no need to waste a lot of money on an intermediate set if you think youll want to upgrade again in the next decade. i say you should save a little more and go for mapex saturns or orions, a 5 pc saturn set costing a little under 1800 at massmusic.net. if you feel complelled to buy a semi pro set and get it a little sooner then the pro m is probably right for you, or the m birch if you like the sound of birch better than maple (as i do). if you look outside mapex you can get a 5 pc tama starclassic performer for just under 1500, a pro level, solid birch kit. also, pearl has their session sets coming in at just under 1300 for a solid maple and under 1200 for a solid birch, both great sets (not quite masters but amazing for the money).

i hope you can work with that.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
hardcore_drumm3r
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:14 pm

ok thanks for the help :)
i have sabian metal x, aa, and aax cymbals and im pretty happy with em

-Tama Swingstars - Soon upgrading to a Mapex Pro M 6 piece
-Sabian Metal X and AA cymbals
-Remo Heads
CRAIGVT
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:22 pm

Have you considered a used kit? If you plan on gigging, or just stepping up, you might consider what you are about to put your kit through. I have an export kit, laquered, and it's been getting chipped up with the gigs and moving around. Fortunately I got it used, so it's really not loosing that much value with the superficial damages. Also, you can buy a better kit used than a new one. Perhaps a maple or birch kit depending on the size of the kit you want. For that kind of money, you could have a really nice 3-4 piece kit of the brand you prefer, instead of settling on something because it's shiny and new. Just a thought. :D
Benhamin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue May 01, 2007 10:48 am

pdp is the best mid line drum set
imo-
DrumFiend0206
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue May 01, 2007 1:38 pm

I'd say go with a used kit, that's what I did. Call around to all of the drum shops in your area, and check what kind of a deal they can give you trade in wise, and just overall on any used kits they have.

I got my Tama Starclassic Maple 6 piece kit for $1400 doing that.