Custom Configuration... pls read

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

ceej730
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:45 pm

Hey i was wondering..Can you go into Guitar Center and have them make a drumset for you. I dont mean like custom made i just mean like. You pick a brand such as TAMA Superstar and then u say i would like one 12" rack tom, a 14" floor tom, and a 16" floor tom. Can they just order it like this in ur custom configuration. Instead of buying the premade sets u see on musicians friend, can u just order how many drums u want and in that configuration. Also will this cost extra then buying the premade sets.
Peavey Drums
Zildjian Cymbals
Dw/Pearl hardware
dtran09
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:47 pm

idk about GC, but massmusic.net has a lot of the low-mid level kits available per drum or in custom configurations.
My Kit: Ludwig CS Custom, Zildjian ZBT hi-hats, crash, ride.
(Not the best, I know, but it's my first.)
michiganice91
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:30 pm

i doubt guitar center would do that...seeing as theyre more focused on selling low line - midline kits to everybody..because not everyone has the money for high end/ custom sets.

The best thing to do would just be to call the company you want to buy from..and have them build you a custom kit..with custom sizes.
Call me Gideon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:38 pm

I think that you would be able to do something like that at GC. I know that they would be able to order just about anything from the distributor that you want. It would probably cost you more because you would be paying for each individual drum, and not a preset kit, but I think you could work it out.
www.myspace.com/lookingtodrum
Tama, Saluda, Evans, Pro-Mark/Vic Firth/Silverfox
Sway
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:24 pm

Dude first off GC would do that cause they wanna make a sell! Second it depends on what comes in that brand but if those are the sizes you want you can order it. Second if you pay full price and you hagle them alot they'll either drop the price or throw somthing in for free. Thats what i do. They mark everything up about 30 percent. So you have a good amount of room to work with.
aSpurz62
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:06 am

If you want to buy individual drums you could try Westcoastdrums.com I know that you can indivual drums from a lot of manufacturers at a respectful price.

If not, I suggest that you do what the other fella said and call the maker directly. Good luck.
ron_jacobson
new
new

Post Wed May 02, 2007 8:11 am

I am sure you could custom order sizes. I doubt you would get as good of price break and you may have to wait quite a while until it comes in.
I don't want to work..I just want to bang on the drums all day
jDogg72
new
new

Post Thu May 03, 2007 2:07 pm

I run the drum department for a small chain of privately owned music stores in the peidmont area of North Carolina. My business thrives on the personal relationships I build with my customers. The community of drummers in my area know me, and know that I will do whatever it takes to make them satisfied within my means. That said, you can order "custom" size set-ups from any major drum manufacterer. Yes, it will require you to wait for the drums to be shipped direct from a warehuose, and yes, it will probably cost more than a "standard configuration" kit. I've noticed that drum companies are starting to offer more of a variety of configurations and "add-on" toms to further customize your preferences. The best thing for you to do is go to a local retailer, not a big box store. Build a friendship with the guy selling drums there, and he ought to do his best to get you what you want at the best price he can offer. Service after the sale should also be an influence on the choice you make where to buy your gear. :wink:
drummert2k

Post Thu May 03, 2007 2:24 pm

guitar center wont build you drums. they will however order what you want if the company you want offers the sizes. they do have good prices but they also just want a sale. so if you want something like a pearl export but with fusion toms and a standard floor tom then guitar center would order it. if you want a kit with a cirtain depth and crazy finish that has to be built custom for you, then you'd have to get it from a custom drum company. guitar center orders drums. they dont make them.
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri May 04, 2007 12:19 pm

jDogg72 wrote: The best thing for you to do is go to a local retailer, not a big box store. Build a friendship with the guy selling drums there, and he ought to do his best to get you what you want at the best price he can offer. Service after the sale should also be an influence on the choice you make where to buy your gear. :wink:

I have a great relationship with the guy at my local Guitar Center, and he's been able to get me everything I want at the best price he can offer. Smaller shops that I have been to have usually overcharged me and have been very rude if ever I had a special request. Guitar Center has given me huge discounts on display items, wheras local shops have literally laughed in my face when I have asked for a discount on a display item. As far as service after the sale, how much service do you really need if you know how to maintain your own equipment?
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Fri May 04, 2007 1:09 pm

jDogg72 wrote:I run the drum department for a small chain of privately owned music stores in the peidmont area of North Carolina. My business thrives on the personal relationships I build with my customers. The community of drummers in my area know me, and know that I will do whatever it takes to make them satisfied within my means. That said, you can order "custom" size set-ups from any major drum manufacterer. Yes, it will require you to wait for the drums to be shipped direct from a warehuose, and yes, it will probably cost more than a "standard configuration" kit. I've noticed that drum companies are starting to offer more of a variety of configurations and "add-on" toms to further customize your preferences. The best thing for you to do is go to a local retailer, not a big box store. Build a friendship with the guy selling drums there, and he ought to do his best to get you what you want at the best price he can offer. Service after the sale should also be an influence on the choice you make where to buy your gear. :wink:

what are those shops called, and where is the closest one to concord?
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.