-SJC- EDIT Custom Drum Discussion (Now its Religion - be PC)

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dtran09
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:40 pm

Benhamin wrote:buy your own keller shells
i did, and i bought the hardwear seperate
and i'm having SJC drill the holes
a 3 piece kit custom kit that i make is gonna cost me $500 :D

where do you get the hardware from?
My Kit: Ludwig CS Custom, Zildjian ZBT hi-hats, crash, ride.
(Not the best, I know, but it's my first.)
Benhamin
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:33 pm

sjc :)
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:58 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:All custom drum companies use Keller shells.

That is absolutely not true...

MOST custom drums companies use Keller shells.

Some custom companies do make their own shells. Trick, for example, makes their own shells and MANY other companies do as well.
Timekeep69

Post Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:41 pm

zen_drummer wrote:
Timekeep69 wrote:All custom drum companies use Keller shells.

That is absolutely not true...

MOST custom drums companies use Keller shells.

Some custom companies do make their own shells. Trick, for example, makes their own shells and MANY other companies do as well.

You're right, Trick makes their own aluminum shells. Gold N Times and RCI make their own acrylic shells, JTP makes their own stave shells, but for the most part, just about all custom companies use Keller for maple and birch shells.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
NT
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:21 pm

look dude.. go to http://www.ghostnote.com find a company on there that makes custom drums.. they all do AMAZING work.. basically it's all the same, just as everyone says..

except that truth guy.. he's an idiot for the most part..

and if you want to save money and have yourself drums you put your heart and soul into.. make um.. there''s a list of sites that sell hardware and shells and the whole shibangabang..

then do some research on how to do it.. ghostnote is a great place to start looking.. http://www.drumfoundry.com has tutorials on what to do.. and they sell all the stuff aswell..

there is a WORLD of options at your fingers my friend..

don't limit yourself to brandnames and opinions.. your best friend is research..
mapex limited edition Pro M / remo pinstripes
aquarian super kick II
DW 5000 delta III double pedal

gibraltar curved rack

zildjian Z 17, 18 crashes, paiste signature sound edge hi hats, 9.5 zil bel

Vic Firth 3A
dtran09
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:33 pm

thanks. drum foundry had a lot of good things there.
Howepirate

Post Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:49 pm

anavrinIV wrote:
Howepirate wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:
truthkidkyle wrote:sjc sounds like every other custom company.
if you hear OCDP, shine, moondrum, spaun custom,
you SJC kit will sound just like it.
truth is worth the 3-400 more in my opinion.
your drums will sound way better,
plus, they really care about their customers and will help you with anything.
also,dont waste your money on stupid things when you order a custom kit.
powdercoating, die cast hoops, wood hoops, its all a rip off,
just get the sizes you need with a nice wrap and youll be set.

sorry to burst your bubble dude but truth is the exact same as everyone else. theyre overpriced keller shells, im sure they dont care about their customers like you want to believe, and they wont sound "way better" than any other keller shells. maple keller is maple keller and there will be subtle differences but nothing that a crowd will be able to pick out. all custom companies will help you with anything because youre going to pay thousands for their set, they want you to spend it again if you want a new set.

plus christian based drum companies dont do it for me...truth, risen, shine...not gonna be getting my money.

you have a problem with christians?

i have no problem with christians...in fact, i play for a church youth band and 3 of the members of my metal/prog band are devout christians. personally its not what i really believe. i dont have a problem with anyone based on their faith but that doesnt mean i have to advertize something that isnt my belief during my favorite hobby. you wont be seeing me play truth, shine, or risen for the same reason i dont wear a turban...its not what i believe.

in understand that..the advertisement puts a label on people ne wayz (now that youve brought this to my attention)

its like ohh their christian..then they are caught drinking or something and people point fingers

just like we point bombs at iraqis...
dtran09
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:00 am

interesting analogy.. christians and terrorists.
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:32 pm

Please avoid any religon hating, terrorism discussion, etc. etc.

Seems like the majority of hardcore bands (aka Alexisonfire, Underoath, etc.) have very similar stylistics in terms of kits... One rack tom, one/two floors, big kick, and everything on a perfect horizontal. Plus, all custom drums. AoF has udrum, underoath has truth, etc. etc. What's the deal with that?
dtran09
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:57 pm

um... custom drums sound better??
plus more than two tom and a floor is too much for me (and that's pushing it)
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:17 pm

dtran09 wrote:um... custom drums sound better??
plus more than two tom and a floor is too much for me (and that's pushing it)

yes, because in these days when drumset diversity is a sin eveyone must be a saint.

im tired of the "less is more" attitude...i did a rant on that on another forum, i may have to bring it here.

and not all custom drums sound better...imo, ive heard many production kits that blow away keller shelled maple sets...basically anything birch (even down to catalina birch and pearl session customs) and combination wood drums (pearl reference) and anything with some kind of african mahogany (tama starclassic bubingas maybe?) sound better than custom drums...but this is only my opinion.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
dtran09
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:19 pm

i wasn't asking if custom drums sound better. i was answering his question of why people buy them.
The reason i wouldn't just buy a great production kit is because there aren't any 4 piece sets of that quality. so to get good quality, i would have to buy 1-4 toms that i don't want.
Oh, and about "less is more." it really is. you can't really tell the difference in sound between more than 3 toms in a song, and about 3 crashes.
Timekeep69

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:15 pm

dtran09 wrote:Oh, and about "less is more." it really is. you can't really tell the difference in sound between more than 3 toms in a song, and about 3 crashes.

No it's not. Kit size is a personal preference, not a fact. Big kits offer a wider variety of drums and cymbals to use but alot of drummers get lost behind big kits so they claim how stupid big kits are and say that "less is more." I've experienced it too many times with people getting behind my kit.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
dtran09
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Timekeep69 wrote:
dtran09 wrote:Oh, and about "less is more." it really is. you can't really tell the difference in sound between more than 3 toms in a song, and about 3 crashes.

Kit size is a personal preference, not a fact.

I thought it was obvious that when someone says something, it was their opinion/preference..
truthkidkyle
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:31 pm

Howepirate wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:
Howepirate wrote:
anavrinIV wrote:
truthkidkyle wrote:sjc sounds like every other custom company.
if you hear OCDP, shine, moondrum, spaun custom,
you SJC kit will sound just like it.
truth is worth the 3-400 more in my opinion.
your drums will sound way better,
plus, they really care about their customers and will help you with anything.
also,dont waste your money on stupid things when you order a custom kit.
powdercoating, die cast hoops, wood hoops, its all a rip off,
just get the sizes you need with a nice wrap and youll be set.

sorry to burst your bubble dude but truth is the exact same as everyone else. theyre overpriced keller shells, im sure they dont care about their customers like you want to believe, and they wont sound "way better" than any other keller shells. maple keller is maple keller and there will be subtle differences but nothing that a crowd will be able to pick out. all custom companies will help you with anything because youre going to pay thousands for their set, they want you to spend it again if you want a new set.

plus christian based drum companies dont do it for me...truth, risen, shine...not gonna be getting my money.

you have a problem with christians?

i have no problem with christians...in fact, i play for a church youth band and 3 of the members of my metal/prog band are devout christians. personally its not what i really believe. i dont have a problem with anyone based on their faith but that doesnt mean i have to advertize something that isnt my belief during my favorite hobby. you wont be seeing me play truth, shine, or risen for the same reason i dont wear a turban...its not what i believe.

in understand that..the advertisement puts a label on people ne wayz (now that youve brought this to my attention)

its like ohh their christian..then they are caught drinking or something and people point fingers

just like we point bombs at iraqis...

you are probably the most unintelligent person ive run into on this site.
hahah so your saying that me being sponsored by, and playing truth custom drums is like me wearing a turbin? hahahahahahahAHAH!!! you are speaking of truth out of generalizations. im fairly sure you have never tried their drums. and how would you know what their customer service is like. have you ever talked to them? i dont think i want to argue this out with you though. you are obviously an idiot.
word