Pearl Masters or Tama Birch/Bubinga

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby groovin' » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Hey I was wondering with all the knowledge and experience out there on these kits if you guys could tell me which to buy? I got a roughly 3 grand limit i love maple and birch suspension with tama seems kinda flimsy and wobbles alot..I want to know from the people that have these kits or have played on them which is a better buy!! im just at an impasse!!!! thanks for your feed back and taking the time to reply!! its MUCH appreciated!!
groovin'
new
new

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Pearl Masters or Tama Birch/Bubinga

Postby audiotech » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:24 am

I don't know what Tamas you were hitting that bounced around so much, but my Tama Starclassic Bubinga track tom mounts are rock solid. I've heard nothing but good comments on the Tama B/B kits and played them a few times myself. The Pearl Masters, I don't know if you're talking about the Premiums or MCX series, but both sound great. Have you had a chance to play either of them? They'll probably be about the same price, $1400 to $1600 USD. I would say a lot depends on your music style. Both would seem to work well for rock or metal, but if your taste streams more towards jazz or lighter music, the Pearl Masters might be a better choice.

Dennis
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:42 am

Those pearl masters bass drums sound sweet! But I would go with the Tama's, every B/B kit i have heard or had the chance to play on was awesome. Definitely will be my next kit that i buy. The mounts are solid, maybe someone did not set theirs up right? I have not really come across any that were wobbly, they all will move a little bit but nothing out of the ordinary.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby AmnestysLowEnd » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:06 pm

Any suspension mount should give to some extent, if it didn't it would defeat some of its purpose. Like its been said depends on styles you play and they way you want to sound. The maple is gonna sound pretty damn classic, the b/b is darker and I find they sound much deeper too. Tuning and sizes as well as head choice will vary the results drastically to.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Return to Drum Set