Mapex volume

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mapex volume

Postby tramium » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:54 pm

I recently realized while playing with a full band my mapex m birch has a really weak bass drum...volume wise it kinda fades out..my band made fun of me for hitting weak then they got on it and couldnt hear themselves either. So besides the fact that my band plays too loud :P...what should I do...im actually looking into getting an upgrade...perhaps ddrum. any advice?
-Zach
tramium
drumming adept
drumming adept

Mapex volume

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Mapex volume

Postby SCELEDRA » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 pm

Do you have a pillow in your kick? If so remove it and put it where it belongs... on a bed.
SCELEDRA
beginner
beginner

Postby tramium » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:27 am

Thats exactly what my band told me. So I did, it made it slightly louder. But still weak? any solutions?
-zach
tramium
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:41 am

How do you have it tuned? Is it tuned to have a wide open clear, undistorted sound? Also if you are using a felt beater if it has the wood or plastic backside try that for a little more volume. I would not be to worried about it tho because if you going to play live it will be mic'd and they can boost it if need be, which most novice sound engineers always boost the bass drum way too much. Also your bass drum might be loud but when you are playing with your band if your bass player has got his amp cranked like most of them tend to do its gonna drown everything out.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby kplante069 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:01 pm

You might want to look at different heads also. Could also just be how you play it. I tend to play heal up alot which gives me much more power. I seriously doubt it's the drum that's the problem. I played an 80's export kit for 20 yrs (particle board shells) and never had a volume problem. Maybe the band dosn't need to play at 11? :wink:
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby SGarrett » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:51 pm

^^^ Yup.

I'm playing on a Yamaha Stage Custom at rehearsals for the new band I'm in. The first time I used it, which was last Wednesday, this was the comment from the band. "You know, every drummer we've brought in has complained about this set not having enough volume. I don't know what you did but, you sure as hell found the volume. They really cut now." What I did was tune the drums up from the their lowest possible note and draw the sound out of them instead of playing into them. The drum's shell is only responsible for about 10% of the overall sound, the rest is head selection, tuning, and playing style. So, start with your head selection, examine how you're tuning, and work on not driving into your drums and cymbals. :)
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby kansasdrummer » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:52 pm

i have a 20x14 rogers big R bass drum that cuts through fine. what heads and how loose are they on that bass drum?
kansasdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Aleks » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:50 am

I'm not sure what you're doing differently, but my m birch has tons of volume, so much so I have to lay off it.....Recently did an outdoor show unmiked and it was powerful (I was going to mic, but in the end was too loud acoustic)...... I use a stock remo reso with a 5" hole, and an EMAD2 with the fat ring, double evans patch, and tuned just off wrinkles......Sounds wicked.....

If you're using your stock pedal, thats likely your problem, it doesn't give a very strong stroke.....Buy a pedal with a progressive cam shape, and you'll hear the difference immediately
Aleks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby jnewlon_drum » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:04 pm

wmpdrummer13 wrote:How do you have it tuned? Is it tuned to have a wide open clear, undistorted sound? Also if you are using a felt beater if it has the wood or plastic backside try that for a little more volume. I would not be to worried about it tho because if you going to play live it will be mic'd and they can boost it if need be, which most novice sound engineers always boost the bass drum way too much. Also your bass drum might be loud but when you are playing with your band if your bass player has got his amp cranked like most of them tend to do its gonna drown everything out.

i agree with this guy 100%
if ur head is to lose..then ur drum will be very quiet...
i read on another post...i cant remember who posted it...but if u tighten ur bass batter head alittle it will give it more punch instead of a thud...either that...or tell ur band to turn down at practices...if u cant hear urself then its their fault...they shouldnt be making fun of u for it because ur acoustic drum set doesnt have a volume knob like their amps do...
ADD ME ON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/drum_4life
jnewlon_drum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Return to Drum Set