I need help deciding

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

I need help deciding

Postby v0zon » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:09 pm

I really want a decent somewhat intermediate/advanced drum set, in the 6 or 7 piece area... and sadly i dont have a whole lot of money to invest in it for now. i was thinking maybe a pdp x7 series, but ive also found some good deals on pearl 5 piece full drum sets, which i figure i could build on and work with later, where i would buy an extra rack tom and the a second floor tom. but again, im having a lot of trouble deciding. i play primarily heavy metal and harder stuff, but i do enjoy the versatility of using a somewhat lighter tone... id apreciate any help at all, and reccomendations for any others sets would be great too.
v0zon plays:

lol drums cymbals and stick TBA
v0zon
new
new

I need help deciding

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: I need help deciding

Postby SGarrett » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:15 am

Buy which ever brand has the hardware you prefer because every major brand is going to be comparable for quality in the beginner, intermediate, and semi-pro levels. Tone is going to come from your head selection, tuning choices, and how you physically strike your instruments.

If you're buying a new Pearl you'll get your add-ons from either the dealer or from classified ads and/or eBay. If you're buying a kit that's more than a few years old you won't be able to get add-ons from the dealer, only classifieds and/or eBay.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
SGarrett

Postby prowler029 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:56 pm

pdp make some great kits, now granted the older x7s did not sound tht good compared to the others, but ive heard they have been redesigned using a different kind of wood or something so im sure they sound great. my fs sounds amazing for the money. as far as hardware goes pdps stuff is pretty durable, the only problem i have had is my hi hat pedal doesnt like to stay tightened but it did fall out of a speeding truck (pick drivers wisely).

but like garrett said shop around and try out different kits and get what fits what u want
"I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue..."

PDP FS
ZILDJIAN
VATER
EVANS EC2, EMAD 2, ST DRY
prowler029
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Asdex » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:02 am

Mapex? They're quite cheap for the money and they make a great quality drums.
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Postby wmpdrummer13 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:00 am

Check out D-Drums as well they have some lower priced kits that sound great.

Tama Rockstar Custom, Zildjian A Customs and A series cymbals, Paiste, Sabian, Wuhan, Promark Japanese Oak, Remo and Evans Heads, DW hardware, Pearl Icon Rack, DW 8002 pedals
wmpdrummer13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby sapazi13 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Asdex wrote:Mapex? They're quite cheap for the money and they make a great quality drums.

+1 my pro m's are fanatastic sounding for the price. [Got a steal on them used]
NeighborSpaceman wrote:
You only live once, so make a huge f***ing drumset and beat the hell out of it while you still can!
sapazi13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Asdex » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:48 am

^^^
Yeap, gotta say I love pro m's. My drum teacher uses it and I totally regrets getting my superstar after trying it. It'll be quite hard to find pro m now cause they discontinued it and change them to meridian maple. There's a huge discount in musicianfriend on pro m, go check them out!
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Postby meinldude69 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:31 am

prowler029 wrote:pdp make some great kits, now granted the older x7s did not sound tht good compared to the others, but ive heard they have been redesigned using a different kind of wood or something so im sure they sound great. my fs sounds amazing for the money. as far as hardware goes pdps stuff is pretty durable, the only problem i have had is my hi hat pedal doesnt like to stay tightened but it did fall out of a speeding truck (pick drivers wisely).

but like garrett said shop around and try out different kits and get what fits what u want

that different kind of wood is maple
pearl forum
meinl/zildjian cymbals
remo, evans, and aquarian heads
vater stix
meinldude69
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Brother_Bong » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:57 pm

Vote for the Mapex. I ended up with one after I owned my Sonors(I still have both kits). The Mapex is awesome.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Postby jnewlon_drum » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 am

prowler029 wrote:pdp make some great kits, now granted the older x7s did not sound tht good compared to the others, but ive heard they have been redesigned using a different kind of wood or something so im sure they sound great. my fs sounds amazing for the money. as far as hardware goes pdps stuff is pretty durable, the only problem i have had is my hi hat pedal doesnt like to stay tightened but it did fall out of a speeding truck (pick drivers wisely).

+1 agreed...and same with my fs series...and they look really nice...theres alot of cool finishes to choose from with a PDP kit...

-josh (TGOA)
ADD ME ON MYSPACE... www.myspace.com/drum_4life
jnewlon_drum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby DRUMSMYWIFE » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:23 pm

Vision series drums, by Pearl. Next Level Perfection. Built for the drummer who can tell the difference.
DRUMSMYWIFE
groove master
groove master

Location: Chula Vista, (A community within San Diego) California

Return to Drum Set