3 piece kit?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:16 am

I have been toying with the idea of a 3 piece kit for some time now.
I have been playing my kit as if it were one, (as in missing out hitting my other two toms) just to get a feel of it, and I must say I like it. Also I could get more quality for my money seeing as I would only be buying 3 drums instead of 4 or 5. And I've always liked the look of 3 piece setups and accessories (drum carriers etc) i wouldneed less of so again would be a money saver. But I was wondering if I would regret it or miss having extra drums and stuff. But also the grades I do you need a 4th tom which is annoying.
So pretty much any convincing arguements for/against getting one?
Thanks
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:47 am

dude, they're your drums. redo your setup and see how you like it. if you do, go with it. if not, don't. before you get any new drums though make sure that you really like that setup because if you don't and you want more drums you'll be sol so I urge you to play that setup for a good while to make sure it's what you want.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:42 pm

Yeah as anavarin wrote just set you gear up as a 3 piece and go from there. It's great for gigging because it's less hauling.

Now............................. for me, despite using 1 up kit's for 99.9% of the time, when it comes to purchasing kit's (apart from my Vintage kit's that come as 3 or 4 piece kit's), I always order two Rack Toms whenever I order a brand new kit for moments in say a recording studio if the music calls for me having that bigger run down in fills(which never really happens). I also usually have 2 floors at hand as well. Just because I'm a 1 up guy don't mean I can't re-configure at anytime if needed.

So to summarize, I would say if you find a lovely little 3 piece, or want a beautiful custom kit but can only afford a 3 piece then go for it. Quality over quantity everytime. But don't get caught up in the big kit small kit worries, buy what you want/need and if one day you find a stack of unused 10" toms or 18" floors gathering dust in your drum cupboard you will know you have arrived at the 3 piece drummer club.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
bigtone23
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:42 am

3-piece as in kick snare floor tom, or rack tom, floor tom and bass drum not counting the snare?

Either way, it's refreshing to have a smaller kit to play on, it really makes one play and chose your drums with more intent.
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:26 am

yeah i mean 4 piece really woops, kick, rack tom, floor tom and snare
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:00 pm

well, i think most of the advice given still aplies then.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
Aleks
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:58 pm

I do the same as what was suggested.....I have 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 toms, but I only use the last 3 in my regular setup (1 up 2 down...not whats in my sig pic), and keep the last 2 in case I'm playing a different style of music......Just like having a bank of cymbals, or a few snares......I've toyed with every possible config for my kit and I've settled on this as the most comfortable, and most versatile in my set list...
mesa37018
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:35 am

its youre set up so its really up to you
my advice is to try every set up you can
you might not learn anything but its fun
nshnth
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:00 am

......... ........ .............
Last edited by nshnth on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:27 am

nshnth wrote:i bought a 5 piece, but i decided to remove the second tom, so that i have better access to my ride.
but ive still got my tom, just incase i need it for a performance.
And its much easier not having to carry around an extra tom and clamps and stuff.
Gretsch sells these 4 piece kits [catalina club mod] that look pretty awesome for like 400 dollars. Don't know how they sound tho.
Check out this band called candiria, the drummer uses a 4 piece starclassic maple, and is pretty good.

Last I knew Ken (drummer for Candiria ) left the band, but you can find older vids on youtube. It sucks that he left, cus the guy is brootal!
As far as the question at hand, ultimately it's all about how you feel. Stay tuned, because hopefully in a few weeks I'm going to launch an internet program called Bongs'Garage. And my first shows topic just happens to be big kits vs little kits. I'll post later when the show will be.
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

nshnth
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:04 am

......... ............ ...........
Last edited by nshnth on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian L
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:17 pm

i love the look up just having a floor tom, snare and bass with one crash and a high hat. but my floor tom doesnt sound good enough on its own, it needs my tom to compliment it. so i play four piece with a 3 to 4 cymbal set up. i love just messing with the kit to see what happens, u can always learn something from it too. i havent even took the wrapping off of my 13 inch tom that came with my pearl. lol, its still untouched to this day. :mrgreen:
2008 Pearl Forum(black)
Ddrum s2 maple snare(black fade)
Remo Coated Emperor snare head
Remo Pinstripes
Evans Emad 2
Tama Road Pro Pedals
Zildjian crashes
Sabian high hat and ride
PDP/Pearl hardware