Gretsch - Replacing All Heads

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby dannycareyisgod » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:56 am

Hey guys. Today I'm gonna head over to GC, and pick up the following things:

- Puresound Custom 20-Strand Snare Wires
- 10/12/14 G1 Clear Fusion Pack (They are going to be on the resonant side, complementing the EC2 Batters)
- 16" G1 Clear
- 14" Power Center Head (Any suggestions on which Power Center to get? Reverse Dot? Regular? Help?)
- 14" Hazy 300 Snare Side

Total: $108.25

I needed some new resonant heads for my toms, seeing how they still have the Gretsch stock heads that came with the set.

With a Gretsch Catalina Maple, I can't think of any better combo than the EC2 Batter, and the G1 Clear for the resonant side. If you have any suggestions and changes I should make to get the best possible sound, let me know! I want to hear your ideas!

P.S. Should I just get the G1 Clear batters, and put those on the resonant side? I heard that the G1 clear resonant heads (which are referred to under a different name) aren't as good, and they ring out way too much.
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

Zildjian A Customs-------> 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" fast crash, 14" hi-hats.
dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Re: Gretsch - Replacing All Heads

Postby shine.fm-youth » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:03 am

yeah, i use g1 batters as resos

i can fully recommend g2 coated batters for the toms
real open but focused warm tone
really nice

the coated ec2s are nice as well dude
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Postby kplante069 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:38 pm

You do know the Gretsch uses G1's as factory reso's, right?
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby drumur » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:59 am

Yeah on Renowns and better but Not on Catalina Maples...they use their own heads and they suck.
Replace those heads and you'll see a BIG difference.
Also, I highly recommend replacing the rubber tips on the floor tom legs with the Pearl tips. You won't believe the difference on those floors. The tips that come stock choke the drum.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-R403-Floor-Tom-Rubber-Tip-3Pack?sku=447972
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby kplante069 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:08 am

My Catalina Birch has factory G1 reso's. Just sayin. :roll:
kplante069
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby dannycareyisgod » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:47 pm

drumur wrote:Yeah on Renowns and better but Not on Catalina Maples...they use their own heads and they suck.
Replace those heads and you'll see a BIG difference.
Also, I highly recommend replacing the rubber tips on the floor tom legs with the Pearl tips. You won't believe the difference on those floors. The tips that come stock choke the drum.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-R403-Floor-Tom-Rubber-Tip-3Pack?sku=447972

Wow, i really didn't know that. I plan on replacing those heads sometime soon when I can get out to Guitar Center. Hopefully they sell those rubber tips you showed me. Also, i keep getting a buzzing noise when i hit my bass drum, and the 12" mounted tom. It's not like a snare buzz or anything, it sounds like something might be wrong with the suspension system, or any other part of the hardware. Anyone know what I can do to fix that?
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby drumur » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:10 am

I replaced the kick-drum spurs with the Gibraltar ones. The holes are the same. The ones that came with the drums kept slipping.
When I first tried the floor toms, they were dead and choked. If you put those Pearl tips on, it's solves the problem. They will sing and sustain. Those shells sound great...if the spurs, the rubber tips, and the stock heads are replaced, it's a great kit.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby dannycareyisgod » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:11 pm

Hey guys, I got everything from guitar center that was on that list. With the exception of the second pack of Pearl R40/3 Floor Tom Rubber Tips. The toms are resonating and singing loudly like i wanted, but i'm still getting a rattling of the 12" tom. And also, the other negative is the amount of overtones and buzzing i'm getting from the snare drum when i'm hitting the toms/bass. I'm not really a big muffling guy either. Any suggestions for me?

dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Airborne Ranger » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:46 pm

It's a little late now but the next time you go to GC and plan on spending $100+ in the drumshop, have them throw in 2 or 3 pairs of Vic Firths. These are lean times for GC and that commission salesman is not going to let a $100+ customer walk out the door. I worked at GC and the last thing they want is a customer to walk out with cash in his hand.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Postby kansasdrummer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:52 pm

in the 12" tom take the heads off and check all the nuts and such inside the drum, make sure they are all tight. if they are check the suspension system like u mentioned.
kansasdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby dannycareyisgod » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:33 am

kansasdrummer wrote:in the 12" tom take the heads off and check all the nuts and such inside the drum, make sure they are all tight. if they are check the suspension system like u mentioned.

hey, yeah i did all the bolt work inside the drum, still nothing. THEN i checked the suspension system. i figured out that the way my drum was tilted caused the suspension system to cause a buzzing sound. i fixed the tilt, and no more buzzing! :D

the only problem is that i am quite unsatisfied with the tilt to my 12" tom. i liked them to be facing more upward, and now they are facing more towards me than i would like. i guess i'll have to deal with it for a better sound.

also, does anyone know a good hi-hat stand that won't get in the way of a double pedal? thanks!

dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby drumur » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:34 pm

The double mount that goes into the bass drum is a little weak. i would probably replace that with something stronger like a tama.
Also, out of the 2 floors, the 16" probably needs the rubber tips more than the 14."
i put them on both.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby drumur » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:37 pm

And also, the other negative is the amount of overtones and buzzing i'm getting from the snare drum when i'm hitting the toms/bass.

I would tighten the bottom snare head.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Postby veggo32 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:33 am

Pearl eliminator hi hat stand (2 legged) or for something cheaper but very durable, Tama roadpro hihat stand, double braced legs which you can adjust in order to accomodate a double pedal. I own one and let me tell you its tough.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/world/distrib ... anada.html
veggo32
new
new

Postby veggo32 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:39 am

If your getting excess overtones from your snare when hitting toms/bass then your snare is not in tune.
With the buzzing the only remedy is to play around with the tuning. I suggest tuning your snare to where
you like it because you use it the most, then tune your tomsbass listening for that buzz. Its usually higher
tom tunings that cause buzzing. Especially if your snare is tuned tight.
veggo32
new
new

Next

Return to Drum Set