DW Go Anywhere Practice Set

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Manny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Anyone have any words on this particular product? I'm gonna be moving to nyc soon and I think it's safe to assume that ill need a quieter tool for practice rather than my acoustic kit. I was lookin at this dw go anywhere set and it seems like a winner. I'm not expecting the response from the pads to be 100% accurate. I figured it would be good to work through the New Breed with. also, I like that i can user my own pedal with it. On the other hand, I've heard that the hardware comes loose easily with moderate to heavy playing.

another idea i had was to get a couple hansen futz pedals and set up a couple reel feel pads.

any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!
Yamaha drums
Yamaha & Mapex hardware
Zildjian A & K cymbals
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:23 pm

I was at best buy on Saturday looking at Dyson's and in the isle next to them was this...

for $799 it wasn't all that bad. For $995 you can have this which is a bit of a step up and (imo) totally worth the extra $$$ as the V-lite unit has a severely limited brain.

I was looking at those DW practice sets online, but I have yet to play ANY practice set in person, so I had no info for you. For me I have a hard time playing something is all I hear is the "thwaaaap" of my stick on rubber. I NEED to hear loud BOOM BANG CRASH or I don't like playing :twisted: Even the $799 setup gave me that in very limited dosages.

The DW's are like $200 anyway, right? Yeh, its about triple the cost, and I'm sure others hold practice sets in higher regard than myself, just giving you another alternative 8)

edit: stupid tags!
Sonor Performer/ZXT Titaniums/DW 9000/Sonor+Pearl Hardware
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:30 pm

i set up and played a DW go anywhere set at guitar center before i went to cali so i could have something to play
in the hotel

FLIMSY

for reeeeaaalll
the pads kept spinning off the stands.

02 cents
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
Manny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:52 am

flimsy, huh?

I read that on a couple reviews of it. Just having the sound of a pad doesnt bother me. But flimsy is unacceptable. thanks guys. Those electronic kits are a little above what i wanna spend right now. Times are tough (as im sure most would agree). I found this: http://www.epadco.com/QuickSet2.html
But again, a little pricey.
Yamaha drums
Yamaha & Mapex hardware
Zildjian A & K cymbals
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:47 am

get a couple practice pads for $10-$20. buy some scrap metal at lowes/home depot. I'm sure $30-$40 would get you enough. Heck, just stop around local business', I'm sure they'd give you some.

If you ever watch videos of drummers warming up before gigs I have never seen them playing on a store bought looking setup. They ar almost ALWAYS something they or their drum-tech threw together so it was set up how they wanted it to be.

for less than $100 and 2 or 3 hours of your time you could make a pretty bad ass and sturdy little son a of gun.

Also, I'll add that I was giving that V-Lite a beating usually reserved for out of line children, and it held up pretty well for the ~10 minutes I was thrashing on it. Had it been on a proper surface I'm sure it would've been even more stable. (it was sliding/creeping away from me very very slowly)

Roland might be $$$$ but you get what you pay for. A friend of mine has a one of the higher-end models and it is a gem. He got it open-box for $999 at Guitar Center. Only draw back was the cymbal pads were replaced w/the regular/cheaper pads.

Some pics of his setup.

here is his band/myspace page. lovely soothing electro pop kinda stuff. You can hear both kits pictured in action. Might be set to private, can't remember - apologies if it is.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=16983275

Man, I know how to get off-topic like NO ONE'S business!! lol - :shock: :twisted: :wink: :P - SORRY :oops:
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 am

^^^

yes sir,
i use a gibraltar bass drum pad (works very very well, it's a work out too)
i have an HQ real feel practice pad i use for the snare
and some same evans 6" pads for toms/cymbals

the pads are all on snare stands
and that works awesomely
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
kansasdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:47 am

just get silencer pads for your set. reduces sound, u still hear some of the drum though.
wristbreaker
new
new

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:57 am

I got these last month and I'm pretty happy with them, especially the ability to position the pads. Yes, the pads do tend to spin every once in awhile and you need to tighten the screws if something starts to move on you. But you can't beat them for hammering away at low volume-- great for watching concert DVDs and playing along. My only serious objection is the feel of the bass drum pad, which is pretty bouncy.

The best part of this setup is that it takes up very little space and is easy to move around the house. It also collapses pretty easily for storage or transportation.
nydubber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:59 am

I have an idea :idea:

what about locktite?? yeh, they won't come off, but they'll stop spinning...amirite? :mrgreen:
Manny
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:03 pm

locktite!! Why didnt i think of that?! thanks ny
Yamaha drums
Yamaha & Mapex hardware
Zildjian A & K cymbals