Tuning

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dannycareyisgod
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:05 am

hey guys. over the last 3 years, i've been incredibly enthusiastic, and inspired by the works of Tool, and after re-watching a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVbFrl9w ... re=related), i want to go for a different method of tuning that will make every drum sound bigger, and more impacting than it is. the only problem is that i suck at tuning. any useful opinions/tips/anything on tuning a gretsch catalina maple 5 piece and make it sound bigger, and more badass?

p.s. im really trying to focus on making the toms sound really big and explosive.

thanks!
Gretsch Catalina Maple-------> 22" x 18" bass, 10" x 8" and 12" x 9" toms, 14" x 14" floor tom, 16" x 16" floor tom, 6" x 14" snare.

Zildjian A Customs-------> 20" ride, 16" crash, 18" fast crash, 14" hi-hats.
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:53 am

If you are trying to get your toms to sound like Carey's, that will be impossible, as he has many effects to tailor his sound at his disposal in the studio and live. I was having trouble tuning as well until I saw the DVD "Drum Tuning: by Bob Gatzen". I never learned to tune either when I started playing, I just put tons of tape on my heads and started playing. You can find excerpts of the Gatzen DVD on youtube, so do a search, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Maynardjames
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:46 am

if you want big wide open tom sound try useing single ply heads and tune the top and bottom as close as possible . just a little tighter then past wrinkle, hope this help
Dw Collector's Series 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x18 Maple
Orange County Drum & Percussion Snare 14x6 10PLy Maple
Zildijan Custom A: 20' Ride, 16' Crash, 18' China, 14' HiHats
Zildijan Custom A Medium: 20' Ride, 17', 18' Proj, 18' Fast Crash
Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:08 am

I'm looking at your tom sizes...
Fusions.
Well, I suggest you crank up the 10" tom. Won't sing if you tune it just past wrinkle. Have the 12" a little lower, and the 14 you can tune loosest for a boomy sort of deal...
I'm not helping much, I know. :lol:
It'll really help if you read the Drum Tuning Bible. Google it. If you can't find it, let me know. :mrgreen:
Original Frosty.
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:10 am

drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Check out the Drum Tuning Bible as what Frosty said! It really helped me!
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
israel_silguero
new
new

Post Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:25 pm

I would get new 2 ply drum heads . Stay with me on this one... Remove all your heads first then place your top heads on. Tighten them w/ your fingers first doing opposite sides at the same time. Then place your other hand in the center of the head and push down this will help seat the head on your drum. Now use your key to tighten the head using the star method... Now this part might scare some of you but... Over tighten the head two turns then take your hand off. Start the de-tuning process using the star method. With your stick begin tapping on the head. You can tell if it is too loose because it sounds like a thud. If its too tight then its choked. Find the happy medium where the drum has the most resonance. Follow these steps on all your drums. I was taught this long way by an old friend and it has never let me down. I hope this helps anybody looking for a guaranteed way to get your heads to sound great. I know its a long and boring but it will be rewarding and you will be very happy!!!
All I want to do is play shows!!!!