Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:28 pm

hi everyone,
It's been a while since I've posted. I just bought a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit and I'm a little dissapointed. I bought them new from an Ebay store so I didn't get to examine them in advance. It appears that they are not what I had expected. The toms are mounted with "Y.E.S." mounts, which I feel are a poor design. I don't understand why such a great name in drums would still attach their mounts to the shell. Anyway, the 12" tom seems to be choking. I'm toying with the possibility of putting RIMS mounts on them, though some of my favorite drummers who play them don't use RIMS on theirs.

Also, the lug screws seems to be hard to turn. I think they have some design that eliminate loosening from vibrations. I'm just not used to the way they tune. Maybe these drums will take some getting used to.
I was going to buy a Renown kit but for a little more money, I bought the Yamahas. I wish I would have gotten a Gretsch kit but they have to be ordered and that would be a long wait. I really expected Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes to sing like crazy but they don't.

Has anybody else had any similar experience with these?
Maybe the 12" is out-of-round.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:54 pm

i'm starting to think that the 12" is defective. I think the other drums are OK but the 12 chokes when I put it on the mount.
SGarrett

Post Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 pm

If you think it's out of round, take the heads off and check. The tension rods do turn with a little more resistance but if you're getting sticking I'd say that the threads might be dry and you should just need to lube them up.

You have an absolutely amazing kit and there shouldn't be anything wrong with it, unless the previous owner didn't take care of it properly.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Lancelot Frosty
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 am

Yeah, just do a bearing edge check first. :)
Original Frosty.
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:09 am

I bought my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute with Nouveau lugs just this past September. It was a six piece shell pack with three rack toms two floor toms and the base. I added a Tama Maple snare to the kit to round it out. When I got the kit home the Remos came off and I also lubricated the tension rods with Vasoline before installing the Evans heads, G1 clears for the tom's resoand G2 clears for the tom's batters. the Base drum got an Evans EQ4 for its batter. I left the front head with the Yamaha logo intact. Yes, the tebsion rods are a bit snug to finger tighten when first installing heads, but they did get better after the lubrication. The YESS mounts work out fine. Yamaha attached the mounts on part of the shell that has little bearing on their resonace. The YESS mounts permit a very adjustable tom placement. I have no problem with my 12" tom, it was the 8" I was having a bit of trouble keeping in tune, now its settled in. The 10" Evans batter head had a problem. It had a dead spot near the left part of the Evans logo. I replaced it after a few days wrestling with it and now it tunes up incredibly well. I keep my kits tuned pretty low and all the toms are incredibly resonant and each has its specific spot in relation to the pitch of the other toms.

When I first got my Yamahas I even experimented with the sound of the baes drum pertaining to the pitch of the drum with and without the extra weight of the rack toms and tom holder. I recorded the base both ways and could not hear ANY difference in sound, pitch or resonance, either way.

The Yamahas are exactly the way I would want to hear an all Maple quality set of drums, but I do have to admit, My Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit still does outshine the tonal characteristics of the Yamaha by just a smudge.

Play around with the tuning and possibly some other heads. I hear a lot of people like Evans EC2 batters on their Yamaha toms, but I like to hear mine in perfect pitch and resonance which a modified head will slightly dampen.

Best of luck, they'll get there.
Dennis
SGarrett

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:16 am

Vasoline is a bad lube to use because it attracts dust/dirt/grime and gets gunky.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:07 am

I'm too old and set in my ways to change now. :wink: It's difficult to find a lubricant that will adhere to the tension rods without drips and spills and still not attract some dust or dirt. Vasoline was a method handed down from my dad almost fifty years ago. But again he use to completely strip his drums down once a month for cleaning. Beautiful white marine pearl Luwigs.

Dennis
SGarrett

Post Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:20 pm

White lithium and/or engine assembly lube work great. LP also makes a lug lubricant. :)
Raider05
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:21 am

I got a 7 piece Maple Absolute kit with the noveau lugs (blue sparkle) about 2 years ago......amazing drums in terms of sound, quality and overall appearance. Have not had any issues with them.
Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes, Paiste cymbals.
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:59 pm

Thank you everybody for your replies. I spoke with Yamaha and they said they will replace the 12".
They're gonna take some getting used to. If it was a Gretsch kit, I know I would feel right at home. They're so damn expensive nowadays, though. The Yamaha's were reasonably priced.
The Pearl Masters Studio are real easy to tune so these Yamaha's are a little weird to me. Maybe if I change the stock heads there will be a big difference. it didn't help on the 12" tom though.
SGarrett

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:15 pm

I have a Maple Custom Absolute 5"x14" snare and the lugs are the same. I switch between that and my PDPs which have the DW-style fine thread tension rods...my Acrolite also has PDP inserts and tension rods. Once you get used to the differences it's a cinch. :)
drumur
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:41 am

I understand...thanks. It just makes it hard to feel where the head begins to tension. I noticed that the kick drum claws have little plastic inserts that rub against the tuning rods to prevent them from de-tuning. I took them out but I guess I'll put them back. I must say one thing, the 16" tom really sustains and sounds big the way I like it. I'll keep experimenting and playing them.
I noticed that most of my fav drummers who play absolutes play the birch. My masters are birch but I went with maple on this kit.
thanks all
SGarrett

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:10 am

Yeah, I'd put those back. When I was working in the drum shop we had an MCA kit on the floor that got played for a good portion of each day by the staff and customers alike. In three or four month's time, we only had to tune it two or three times.
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:28 am

I play absolute birch nouveaus and they are a dream, as is my steve jordan snare with absolute lugs. some of the lugs are pretty difficult to turn but I don't think I'll have any problems with the tuning going out quickly.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Is it true that those Absolute Lugs can fall off the Bass Drum while playing if it's tuned a bit low?
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!