Looking to get a first set, any suggestions?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Strategicgnomer
new
new

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:16 pm

I've only begun drumming and I don't intend on ever being pro but I'd like a good set to last me. I'm not terribly rich but I'm willing to spend a little extra for a decent set. Looking for something under 1000 but if you know several in a range of prices that would be great. Right now I'm playing on a Pearl set, I'm not exactly sure what it is as it's my brother's and he bought it from someone else and I don't really know how it compares because I've only played on it and one other set which is a really cheap Tama set. Any input is appreciated guys, thanks.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:14 pm

Gretsch Catalinas are great kit's. PDP's too. Yamaha make the Stage Custom if you can stretch to it.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:13 am

Mapex m birch or pro m! have fun!
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
SGarrett

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:47 am

Buy used and you'll get a better deal. You can usually find a gently used kit with hardware, cymbals, and sometimes cases for under $1k.
"If the goal is for me to give up my reality for your reality, then the goal is for me to give up my self for your self--a goal I have to reject."
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:40 am

Yeap! Buy used drum, as what SGarrett said! Try checking out Tama Superstar Hyperdrive or Starclassic B/B... You should consider thinking of getting cymbals though!
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
Strategicgnomer
new
new

Post Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Where would you all suggest I find a good set of used drums? Ebay? or is there a place to go specifically?
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:59 pm

Don't go to Ebay right now. Go a visit some Drum shops and start looking at this gear in person. You are obviously new to it all and need to make your mind up by actually being in the room with this stuff. Otherwise your not going to know by just looking at some 2D pictures. Anyway snooping around Drum shops and sniffing at Drums is a major part of the Hobby. I love it, go on try it. Then tell us all about the kit you find eventually find it.

Good luck
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!