New kit

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

miren324
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:39 pm

I've been playing drums for 8 years now, and I finally have enough money to get a good set. I have a Pearl Export right now that I bought from a friend, and it's worked really well for me, but I want something a little better. Any suggestions? Brand? Maple, birch, etc.? I don't have enough money to spend $500 on each drum, so I'd like to get a good 5-piece kit that I can buy all together. If I need to buy one drum seperately however, for instance a better snare, I can probably swing that. I've never had the money to afford a really good set, so I've never spent the time to research good sets, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Assback
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:09 pm

Tama Starclassic- 4 peice (10, 12, 14, 22,). AMAZING drum set. Most drummers will agree that they are among the top drums. Tuning is a breeze. Pro everything. they look beautul. They run aywhere from $1500 new (sometimes w/ matching snare) to maybe $900-$1000 used. These are the kind of drums you buy and never need to upgrade from. I'd definately give em a look if you're looking to spend a good ammount on a set. You will be satisfied with these.

Others to look at:
PDP Platnium Series (about $1000 for a 5 or 6 peice) <--- very nice drums
I hear good thintg about higher end Mapex

Don't be afraid to look at used sets. There are a lot of amazing used sets in great condition that you can get for a god 25%-35% cheaper than buying new
bass-ackwards
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:17 pm

BUBINGA, if you have that kind of money to spend on each i'd go for bubinga.

Brother_Bong wrote:You are number one so that makes everyone else number two. Like poop.
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:36 pm

Check out PDPs drum line up they have some good sets in your price range.
miren324
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:02 am

I was looking at PDP, but I don't really know much about them, and was worried that they might be "the poor-man's DW" or something, and possibly not as good. Anyone have one? Any good?
Fo' sho' son!
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:00 pm

miren324 wrote:I was looking at PDP, but I don't really know much about them, and was worried that they might be "the poor-man's DW" or something, and possibly not as good. Anyone have one? Any good?

no way they are far from what you think of them. They are made by the one of the best drum company in the world
they do make a few cheaper sets but most of them are high end like the plaitium series, x7,805, fs and Z5. The one in
your price range would proably by the Fs series.
k0staZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:59 am

i think whetever you buy at 1000-12000 price range it will be professional, extremely great and good looking..

Sonor Delight or 3007...
Mapex Pro M
Tama starclassic maple
PDP Platinum series
Pearl Master series

These would be my choices

:P :mrgreen: :D
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:36 pm

The discontinued PDP sets are a real steal right now. I picked up an LX recently for 445. 00 It's the same quality as the new platinums. (Just different lugs)
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:45 am

TAMA STARCLASSIC BUBINGA!! MY DREAM KIT!! You can't go wrong with Bubinga!
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
LyriCa1z
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:29 am

Shop around and play as many different kits as you can. You have a good range of options when spending that kind of dough. All high end kits in that price range are going to be nice, so just play several and decide which ones you are most comfortable with.
-Pearl Export
-1 up 1 down
-Sabian AA
-Evans EC2 Coated
-ProMark 5A
-Latin Percussion
miren324
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:54 am

The discontinued PDP sets are a real steal right now. I picked up an LX recently for 445. 00 It's the same quality as the new platinums. (Just different lugs)

What about the CX series? I found a bunch of those going for really cheap, but I don't know anything about them. I like PDP a lot now that I've played them a little, but I'd like to go with a higher end, like the platinum or 805 series, but if I can find them used that'd be awesome.
Fo' sho' son!
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:37 pm

All of the discontinued series LX CX MX are maple shell drums. Identical to the platinum series except for the lugs. You should be able to get a great deal on any of these. They are all great kits for the money.
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:38 am

Tama Starclassic, all the way. Bubinga if you've got the cash to shell out, but the birch/bubinga kits sound amazing too, and are a bit cheaper. The general feeling about these drum kits, based on the many drummers I have talked to, is that they are the best of the best. I haven't talked to anyone that didn't think they are awesome.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD