Yamaha ASbsolute Maple Nouveau

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:33 pm

I was at one of my favorite drum shops today and was given an offer that was really hard to refuse. It was a Yamaha Absolute maple six piece kit. Kick, three rack toms and two floor toms. I was wondering if anyone on this board has any experience with these and how do they stack-up against Tama Starclassic maples, Pearl reference series or DW drums. I played all three tonight including a Gretsch New Generation and to my ears and my girlfriend's ears, the Yamaha came out on top. What are your opinions?

Thanks,
Dennis
Raider05
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:05 am

I decided to get my "dream" kit about two years ago now, and narrowed it down to DW or Yamaha. I ended up going with the Yamaha MCA's and have no regrets. 8,10,12" rack toms, 14 & 16" suspended floors, 24x18 virgin kick and 14x5.5 snare....all in blue sparkle laquer. The finish, quality and sound of these drums and hardware is incredible. My only minor grife is that the I've never been able to get the perfect sound out of the snare that I want. It sounds good....just not fantastic.

I imagine that any of the top end kits from the companies you mentioned would sound great......it's all personal preference.
Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes, Paiste cymbals.
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:41 am

I made the decision and got Yamaha Absolute Maple kit on Saturday. It has the Nouveau lugs and it's finished in Black Sparkle Sunburst. It has a 22x18 base, 8x8, 10x8, 12x9 rack toms, a 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms. I'll be using my Tama Artwood maple 14x 5 1/2" snare. I put Evans G2 clear batter heads and Genera reso heads on the toms. The base drum got an Evans EMAD2 batter head. Very nice full sounding, very resonant kit with infinite adjustability of the rack toms. I just love it.

Thanks,
Dennis