Stuck between tom sizes for next set

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Which drumset sizes?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 am

9x13 rack tom, 14x16, 16x18 floor toms
9
41%
8x12 rack tom, 12x14, 14x16 floor toms
12
55%
Don't worry, they're not that different
1
5%
 
Total votes: 22
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:09 am

I'm building/assembling my next drumset with keller shells, and I have about 3/4 of the parts ordered, with the exception of the shells themselves, which I'm somewhat divided on. I should have enough cash within the next 3-4 weeks to order them, but I'm split between the tom sizes. I've owned and played both configurations and like them both. Bass drum will be 18x22 for sure. I'm a rock drummer but I play easier and harder stuff, depending on which band I'm with.

These are parameters for whatever setup I choose
All sizes listed are depth x diameter
Floor toms will be 8 luggers (each side)
Bass drum is 10 lugger (each side)

Then again, I could be overanalyzing and with proper tuning I still will have an awesome drum set, which is why I added the third poll option. I originally picked the 12, 14, 16 diameter line up but have been second guessing. I've already bought the 12, 14, 16 hoops and just wanted to hear you guys' (and gals') opinions and stuff. I wouldn't mind buying 13 and 18" hoops if I hear some earth shattering information on why a 13, 16, 18 line up would be better. One of my fears is that the 18" floor tom will sound too close to the bass drum. I can't increase the bass drum size because I've already purchased Maple BD hoops and have finished them. Even though I'm assembling the drum, I felt as though this post belonged in the drumset subforum because it's more about the drum set configuration itself, instead of its building process.

I'm also interested in hearing opinions on other tom sizes/configurations as well as other depths. If I get a lot of votes for the third option, I'll probably end up going 12, 14, 16 diameter toms.

Thanks gang.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
User avatar
mmmmdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:59 pm
Location: SoCal

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:35 am

I have a suggestion that isn't really either of your choices.....

it's sort of an in between of the two ranges you chose

8x12 rack 14x14 and 16x16 floors

if I had to choose from your poll it would be 8x12 12x14 and 14x16
Check out my new tunes!

myspace.com/anjillapiazza

Ludwig classic maple drums
Supraphonic Snare
Regal Tip and Vic Firth Sticks
I proudly endorse Soultone Handmade Turkish cymbals
User avatar
Assback
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:16 am

I doubt that an 18" would sound like your bass drum. Idk, as far as the floor toms go, its up for grabs but I'd DEFINATELY say go for a 12" tom rather than a 13". idk if it's just me, but I think the 12" is a pretty essential size. Never been a fan of 13's
Image
User avatar
anavrinIV
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1751
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:26 am
Location: concord, nc

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:55 am

I know a guy who says his 18" is deeper than his bass drum. I voted for the 12/14/16 because I think it's a better setup but I agree with mmmmdrums that you could make the floor toms deeper. I have 14x14 and 16x16 drums and they are very full and deep, I love the 16x16 especially.
zen_drummer wrote:Real life doesn't work that way, and one day he's gonna pull a stunt like that and they'll put a cap in him. At that point it won't matter that he was fat in high-school and couldn't get laid.
b b253
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:21 pm

id say 8, 12,16
im a rock drummer too and i got 18 by 16" floor and 16by 16' floor tom theyre nice.
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
User avatar
bass-ackwards
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 334
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:38 pm
Location: Calgary AB Canada

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:30 pm

i'd go for bonham tom sizes.
Image

Brother_Bong wrote:You are number one so that makes everyone else number two. Like poop.
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:51 am
Location: indiana

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:48 pm

If you say youve already bought the fusion sized hoops and you say youre going to probly stick with fusion sized toms just stick with those. it makes more sense to just stick to what you already have than to change your opinion just because someone else says so.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
User avatar
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:59 pm

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:52 pm

I think the 12, 14, and 16 options are far more musical.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Drumosaurus wrote:If you say youve already bought the fusion sized hoops and you say youre going to probly stick with fusion sized toms just stick with those. it makes more sense to just stick to what you already have than to change your opinion just because someone else says so.


I wasn't second guessing my decision because "someone else said so." I have a friend who just got a Pearl masterworks in the 13, 16, 18 sizes and I liked playing them. Although the way he tuned, he didn't really need either the 16 or 18 because they sounded so similar that in a live mix with a band you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Then again, he can't really tune and I am not that bad at it.

bass-ackwards wrote: i'd go for bonham tom sizes.


14 16 18 is too deep of a drumset sound. Also, I'd need to get a 26" bass drum, which I'm not. I think if I was going to sound like Bonham I'd do a 3 piece 24" BD, 18" Floor Tom and just the 14" rack tom.

TheYardstick wrote:I think the 12, 14, and 16 options are far more musical.


I agree. What's funny is my band likes when I set up my Ludwig Accent's with a 12, 14 16 even more than the 13, 16 alone, yet when I asked them how they feel they said to go with bigger toms. I guess that's what happens when you ask guitarists and a bass player about drums.

mmmmdrums wrote: I have a suggestion that isn't really either of your choices.....

it's sort of an in between of the two ranges you chose

8x12 rack 14x14 and 16x16 floors


That's exactly what I've decided to do. The reason I had the shallower floor tom options is because the most influential guys at the ghostnote.net forum are pretty elitist about trivial things like that and I may have accidentally taken to heart what they say about square toms. My Accents have square floor toms and I make them growl pretty good. I don't see a disadvantage to square toms. I can tune a drum. Thank you for the suggestion, It never really crossed my mind to stay with square toms until your post made me research it more.


SO yeah, i've decided to stick with the 12, 14, 16 set up and just go to square sizes for the floor toms, however if people still feel like voting and/or adding more comments then please do. I love hearing opinions.

Thanks DML'ers
-John
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
User avatar
Potatoe Snack
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1357
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:40 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:24 pm

just curious, what do you mean by "square toms"?

i know you already chose, but i voted 12, 14, 16
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Potatoe Snack wrote:just curious, what do you mean by "square toms"?

i know you already chose, but i voted 12, 14, 16


As in the diameter is equal to depth. 14x14, 16x16, etc. Some people think they're difficult to tune. When i posted this at another forum one of the main pieces of advice I got was to not do square toms. My current 14x14 and 16x16 are the easiest to tune drums in my set. The only difficult square tom I've tuned was a friends 12x12.

And just for clarification, the only square toms on my set will be the floor toms.
Depth x Diameter, 8x12, 14x14, 16x16, 18x22

Oh its going to be sweet.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
Raider05
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Canada

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:16 am

I currently have 5 toms in my set up (8,10,12 rack, and 14 & 16 suspended floor toms). I was plannig on adding an 18" floor, but my 16 is already so deep, it's close to sounding like my bass drum (which is 24 x 18). Therefore, I don't think you need an 18" floor.

If I were only picking 3, I'd also go with 12" rack, and 14 and 16" floor toms.
Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes, Paiste cymbals.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:47 am
Location: England

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:28 pm

If your going to only buy the 12,14,16 configuration, I would recommend looking at the 12x9 option. It will be just a bit more in balance with the square floors. Plus if you add a 10, then 10x8 is a cool size and will flow nicely with the 12x9.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:45 pm

Post Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:33 pm

Steaky wrote:If your going to only buy the 12,14,16 configuration, I would recommend looking at the 12x9 option. It will be just a bit more in balance with the square floors. Plus if you add a 10, then 10x8 is a cool size and will flow nicely with the 12x9.


Haha, you pretty much read my mind when it came to adding the 10 later on, which I plan on doing after finishing the set and letting myself recover financially a bit from it. I've never owned a 10" tom, but I've played a few and I love them. Reminds me of older Spitalfield Albums. I'd probably go 8x10 and 8x12. I've played on a Ludwig Accent Custom Elite set with 10 and 12" toms, both having 8" depths and I liked it alot. I doubt there would be a huge difference during a live show between a 9x12 or a 8x12, but in the studio may be a different story.

Bonus from my job comes in Oct. 31st so I'll get the shells then, and so I figure I'll have some time to think it over. I've only owned 10x12's and they've been decent in performance. I'd like something with a little more attack. Most likely I'll stick to the 8x12, but I'll be thinking about going 9" until I order it. Thanks for the input.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:47 am
Location: England

Post Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:58 pm

I had a friend with a 8x8, 10x8 and 12x8 kit. It worked really well. Good luck with your decision.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!