Tama Kit rankings?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

gOneMaD
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:51 pm

Can someone please give a list of Tama's current kits and the order of their rank by quality.

Also an employee at guitar center told me the rock stars are better quality then the superstars? is that correct and does it apply to all the superstars or are the hyper drives higher quailty?

thnx
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:45 pm

Google is your friend:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/u_dru ... 8&cat_id=1

The Rockstar is no longer a current production model. I imagine it would be similar to the Superstar in it's relation to their top of the line kits and their introductory kits.

Happy 1200th post to me.
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:19 pm

I own a Tama Superstar and tried a Rockstar before and I prefer my superstar more. The rockstars are made in Taiwan while Superstars are made in China, and the Starclassics are (probably) made in the Japanese Tama Factory. Probably the quality of it is the main reason of the price difference. If I'm not wrong, the rockstars uses rubber kind of bass hoop but the superstar uses the wood, but this probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

Hyper-drive uses the same wood shell, just with different sizes. They're more punchy and so it's more to people's preference.
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
gOneMaD
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:40 pm

Kk thnx. I'm planning on upgrading my rockstar to the superstar is why i'm asking.

Thnx for the link rufus, i've already been there so it didn't fully answer what I wanted to know. Sorry guess I should of clarified I was wondering about their current drums on the market.
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:21 pm

StarClassic (maple) / starclassic performer(birch)
Superstar( Birch/basswood)
Rockstars(if they were still in production)
Imperial Star/ Swing star

I would save for a starclassic if I were you, they are way better than the superstars.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:28 am

^^^^
You're missing Starclassic Bubinga and Performer B/B. They're the best sounding drums, in my opinion.

Gonemad, try the hyper-drive too because from what I've heard from many people, they're a great sounding kit! Or if you're able to save some more money, get the Starclassic B/B. Bubinga just sound awesome.
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
gOneMaD
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:08 am

i gotta baby on the way so saving money is pretty much out of the question for the time being. I'm gonna go with the yper drive for now and in a few years i'll get a bubinga starclassic.
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:52 pm

gOneMaD wrote:Kk thnx. I'm planning on upgrading my rockstar to the superstar is why i'm asking.

Thnx for the link rufus, i've already been there so it didn't fully answer what I wanted to know. Sorry guess I should of clarified I was wondering about their current drums on the market.

Those are their currenty drums. :roll:

Anywho, perhaps you could try sending an email to Tama/Hoshino directly. Rather than just get opinions about which one is "better," you can possibly get a more definite answer and/or more details about the differences between the new series beyond colors and configurations.
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:08 am

Asdex wrote:^^^^
You're missing Starclassic Bubinga and Performer B/B. They're the best sounding drums, in my opinion.

Gonemad, try the hyper-drive too because from what I've heard from many people, they're a great sounding kit! Or if you're able to save some more money, get the Starclassic B/B. Bubinga just sound awesome.

They are just as good as the starclassics I have listed. Thats why I didn't bother.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
audiotech
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:19 am

I would have to say that the Tama Starclassic Bubinga kits should be on top of the Tama list. That's why I bought my Bubinga kit. It was a tough decision between the maple and the bubinga, but we all agreed that the Bubinga nudged the maple.

Bubinga and maple = completely two different sounds.

Dennis