new kit not now but in the future.

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

b b253
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:43 am

in a year and a couple months for my 16th birthday. im thinking of posibly either buying a custom kit like maybe DW, or medicine man, or geting a high end tama or mapex or pearl. im gonna save up like
3000$ then have the rest of my family buy cases or hardware. so my question is should i get a big kit like nicko mcbrain but with 2 bass drums. or just a kit like john bonham's but with a double pedal?

o and i play all types of rock to some metal.
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
User avatar
Assback
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 992
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:37 pm
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:35 am

dude, who really knows? how we supposed to know if you want two bass drums or not or how big you want your set? Just think it over on your own
Image
b b253
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:39 am

well whats the pros and cons i mean cause i dont know all of them.

pros to small kit

easier to travel?



pros to large kit

different sounds


ok so let me change my question

what kind of set up would you all do? and could you tell me why you chose that set up?
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
User avatar
xdoseonex
groove master
groove master
Posts: 3889
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:07 pm
Location: New York

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:31 pm

I would have two 20" kicks because

I feel like 20's respond better and have a tighter sound than 22's, and maybe its because because I'm not very tall, but I find it hard to position my toms over my bass drum sometimes without when being higher than i'd really like them to because run on sentences are great.

A slave pedal never feels exactly the same as your primary pedal no matter what you do. So I'd Ideally want to be using 2 single pedals.


Right now i play 3 up one down, but lately I'v been finding myself wanting a 2 up 2 down setup. I'd go with 10"12"14"16" with 4X5.5 matching snare because I don't like standard sizes one bit.

I'd get a Trick set because

I think aluminum is kinda the perfect material for a drum. Pearls been making a metal drum that has some really nice warm properties for a while. They did it by making it out of aluminum. also having a set that was unaffected by weather would be the most convenient thing ever.

Paiste signature reflector cymbals because I love bright, glassy, cutting, shimmering, crisp, delicious cymbals and signatures are that.

trick pedals cause they're crazier than pineapples



gibraltar rack with pearl 1000 series arms and snare stand.

and I want a hydrolic throne too.

............so who's buyin?
Proud to endorse TRICK Percussion
Image
b b253
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:34 pm

would u use that kit to gig with the 2 bass drums or would u leave it in 1 spot.
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1686
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: peoria

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:27 pm

alright if this is what we're doing :wink: :lol:

(deep breath) iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii would want/am getting

two basses 22x20" and 20x20"
because i think the different sizes make double bass sound really awesome
BUT i would use two singles AND a double so that i could choose

axis pedals (trick doesn't make lefty pedals, and i'm a lefty i'm over it now though)

for toms i would get 8" 10" 12" 14" 16"
on the rack would be 10" 12" 8" in that order
makes for really cool sounding fills
floor toms 14" 16"

and a 24x16 gong bass would be fun too

all black satin finish no gloss
matching black satin wood butcher hoops
matte black finished hardware with tube lugs

coated ec2 on all tom batters
g1s on all resos
evans dry on all snares, hazy resos
aquarian sk IIs on basses
fyberskin resos (they look nice)
two 4" port holes off center on each

i'm thinking sjc drums because they do wonderful butcher hoops
with a bunch of medicine man snares cause they're wonderful

saluda cymbals all around because they make my cymbals the way i like them
dark, dirty cymbals with quick decay

gibraltar custom rack with dw 9000 cymbals stands all around
2 remote hi-hats stands
and a few foot pedals claves woodblocks maybe a small foot snare or something
just for fun
stands with aquarian cymbals springs


annnnd i too would like a hydrolic throne


soooo i'm with dose who's buying?
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
User avatar
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Post Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:48 pm

i started out with a double pedal. thought it held me back, thought i needed 2 bass drums and it would fix my problem. got double bass, 4 up, 2 down set. 2 single pedals, DW 5000's. still coudln't find out what the problem was, why i couldn't double bass like a mofo.

so after spending loads of dough on so much drum crap it isn't even funny.. i have found the perfect set up for me is 2 up, 2 down, and a double pedal.

on smaller gigs i turn it down to 4 piece.

oh and i played stuff like metallica, and GNR, which i know you are very influenced by..
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
b b253
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1268
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:16 am

EOTE_drummer wrote:i started out with a double pedal. thought it held me back, thought i needed 2 bass drums and it would fix my problem. got double bass, 4 up, 2 down set. 2 single pedals, DW 5000's. still coudln't find out what the problem was, why i couldn't double bass like a mofo.

so after spending loads of dough on so much drum crap it isn't even funny.. i have found the perfect set up for me is 2 up, 2 down, and a double pedal.

on smaller gigs i turn it down to 4 piece.

oh and i played stuff like metallica, and GNR, which i know you are very influenced by..


yip im very influenced by metallica and GNR. I'm just not totally sure on what i should get maybe like after the band im in starts getting big gigs i could get 2 bass drums but right now just a double pedal.
Pulse double bass kit
Mapex M birch 5 peice kit
Mapex steel 10 by 5.5 side snare
Sabian xs20 cymbals
Zildjian Avedis
Tama hardware
Remo heads
Regal tip =)
http://www.myspace.com/thedrummerboyoftheworld
User avatar
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1979
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:59 pm

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:09 pm

It depends on what you prefer.

I absolutely love the feel of two bass drums.

You need to try it both ways before you come to a final decision.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Philadelphia PA

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:07 pm

I would do a kit with one bass because I used to use 2 bass drums and constantly moving around 2 bass drums gets old after a while. (I wanna have a good back for as long as possible)

That being said I'm planning on getting a 7 piece Medicine Man kit

Drums:
22" Bass Drum
13"X5 Snare drum
10",12"13" Rack Toms
16" and 18" Floor Toms

I already spent a good deal on my Iron Cobra double pedal and I'm tryn to save my money so I can get the snare by christmas. Soo anybody want to write me a couple checks???
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
User avatar
DrumFiend0206
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 614
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:03 am

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:20 pm

xdoseonex wrote:I would have two 20" kicks because

I feel like 20's respond better and have a tighter sound than 22's, and maybe its because because I'm not very tall, but I find it hard to position my toms over my bass drum sometimes without when being higher than i'd really like them to because run on sentences are great.

A slave pedal never feels exactly the same as your primary pedal no matter what you do. So I'd Ideally want to be using 2 single pedals.


+1

I would go with a two up, one down kit though. 2 20x18 basses, 12", and 13" rack toms, and a 16" floor tom. That way, I'll have a nice metal kit, but be able to break it down to a single kick with a one up one down (12 and 16) for gigs with my other bands.
User avatar
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:08 pm

oh, somehow i missed the whole point of my story i told. it wasn't the gear holding me back, it was myself. i was over confident, and thought better gear would make me better. well it didn't. turns out i am just not meant for 200 BPM double bass.

but to this day, i have played a few hXc bands, and can hold up pretty good on double now. i just don't ever use it much with the kind of stuff i play.
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
User avatar
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1898
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Rochester NY

Post Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:40 pm

shine.fm-youth wrote:alright if this is what we're doing :wink: :lol:

(deep breath) iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii would want/am getting

two basses 22x20" and 20x20"
because i think the different sizes make double bass sound really awesome
BUT i would use two singles AND a double so that i could choose

axis pedals (trick doesn't make lefty pedals, and i'm a lefty i'm over it now though)

for toms i would get 8" 10" 12" 14" 16"
on the rack would be 10" 12" 8" in that order
makes for really cool sounding fills
floor toms 14" 16"

and a 24x16 gong bass would be fun too

all black satin finish no gloss
matching black satin wood butcher hoops
matte black finished hardware with tube lugs

coated ec2 on all tom batters
g1s on all resos
evans dry on all snares, hazy resos
aquarian sk IIs on basses
fyberskin resos (they look nice)
two 4" port holes off center on each

i'm thinking sjc drums because they do wonderful butcher hoops
with a bunch of medicine man snares cause they're wonderful

saluda cymbals all around because they make my cymbals the way i like them
dark, dirty cymbals with quick decay

gibraltar custom rack with dw 9000 cymbals stands all around
2 remote hi-hats stands
and a few foot pedals claves woodblocks maybe a small foot snare or something
just for fun
stands with aquarian cymbals springs


annnnd i too would like a hydrolic throne


soooo i'm with dose who's buying?


ummm... if you have two kicks, you could use Trick Pedals, because it doesn't matter if they make a lefty if you're using two singles...

So... who's buying this kit for him... anybody.... anybody....
Image
User avatar
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:19 am

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:45 am

What's the rush man?

When you reach a point you need a new kit, you'll know what you want! You won't need to post on here asking what drums to by, what set up, cymbals, pedals, toilet paper etc to get.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:47 am
Location: England

Post Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:09 pm

I bought the full double kik monster many many years ago when I was myself a rock monster in the making. It never left the house in it's entirety because I had no way of getting it anywhere. So much stuff to set up and all, I couldn't get it all in the car! I just used the single kik and that did me and the crappy boozers I played in. The big Drummers have people to carry around and set up all these big rigs, and they need them to impress there audiences on big stages, well it looks good doesn't it?

If you really feel that your heart is in the hauling about, and it will really make you a better and more respected player then do it, but you probably don't really need it all at all. Drums are fun after all so if it makes you happy go for it, the Drum company you choose won't complain.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!