The new DW Jazz series?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:59 am

I do have to agree tho: he's asking for info on DW Jazz series drums. he's played a kit, I'm sure he already knows what they cost, and he's already stated that he's NOT looking for information on other drum companies/lines within this thread. over half of this thread is about Medicine Man Drums.

I am also not trying to denigrate PJ: I am considering using him for reworking my old Ludwig kit (rewrap, freshening up the bearing edges), as his prices are reasonable, and honestly he seems to have pleased every customer he's worked with: both on this forum and all across the net I haven't read a single negative thing. However, there's plenty of threads about Medicine Man. He's asking about DW Jazz drums. It's kind of like when people ask for an opinion on a certain brand of cymbal and everybody goes BUY SALUDA. Nobody asked about freakin Saluda, they asked about a Zildjian A Custom or whatever it happened to be.

I gave my opinion on the DW Jazz drums above.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:00 am

Personally, there's no way I'd pay what DW charges for their drums unless I was making a ton of money, but if you have it to blow, they're definitely nice.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 am

Alan_ wrote:Personally, there's no way I'd pay what DW charges for their drums unless I was making a ton of money, but if you have it to blow, they're definitely nice.

That is exactly how I feel about DW. Nothing against them as such, but for that amount of cash I'd get something else just as good and keep the change. Haven't played the kit in question so can't comment.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:40 am

I mean, much like many other high-end kits, they are quite unique, and if I had the cash and was looking for their very unique characteristics I'd put the money down in a heartbeat. they design their own hardware, manufacture their own shells, and put quite a bit of r&d into their products.
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:45 am

Oh absolutely! The finishes are second to none and the hardware is fantastic, but as for sound and playability they are just one of many great kits on the market now days that can happily tick the boxes.
titaniumSS
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:22 pm

Had my DW's for 5 years now. Love them, haven't had any troubles with them. I've also been interested in hearing about the Jazz series, thanks Alan! Now I need to go test out some of the new VLT and X shell drums.
www.myspace.com/episodefour
www.myspace.com/breakthebad

DW drums (8x10, 9x12, 11x14, 13x16, 18x22), Zildjian cymbals, 2 DW and OCDP snares, Vater/3drumsticks drumsticks, Roland electronics, Audix mics, Remo heads.
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:35 pm

Steaky wrote:Ok so PJ did well from the free advertising, I'm sure he makes a great Drum. But just saying GO PJ is a barnum statement that can be applied to any thread on the entire forum. You sure PJ isn't paying you guy's to "Bloggertise?" This strategy is being used by all companies these day's. MM drums do seem to be mentioned a heck of a lot on DML.
I play Drums and get excited about them. I played on a set of these Jazz set's once and enjoyed it. Maybe tempted to get a set. I come on to DML wanting to discuss the sonic and aesthetic virtues of DW JAZZ drums? Some people are put off by DW. Cool. I don't like Mapex products. It's in the sound and the look of them. I may stick my hand up here and admit that I may have been a little outspoken on this. But also honestly by being a member of this forum I have been persuaded to look at Tama more closely. I've tried them and still they don't fit for me. Maybe I will look at MM drums (although I feel a little put off right now) but I live in the UK so maybe it's not so practical right now. And ultimately for the record there is simply not a modern kit out there that will make me sell my 70's luddies or my 60's Downbeats but I don't ever want to tour them so I look to modern gear for that. So get over it! Quit selling and hating please. Has anyone really checked these Jazz kit's out yet and what do you think?.

dude I was just being sarcastic. anyway ive never played the dw jazz series but I did play a dw at gc and it sounded pretty good.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
tomswift
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:02 pm

I think the DW has done a good job of making a drum that has elements of the Gretsch drums. I have a 1962 Gretsch "round badge" set and that (for many drummers) is THE classic jazz bebop sound. Particularly in smaller trio, quartet and small horn ensembles. DW's die cast rims, lack of re-enforcement rings, bearing edges, and ply count are similar to traditional Gretsch drum design. Whether they're better or worse is like comparing apples to oranges.
That being said, the New Classic Gretsch design is a newer approach for them that incorporates the old design and (IMHO) improves it in three ways. First they use a graduated (proportional) ply thickness as the sizes change. (IE the 14" tom is slightly thicker than,say, the 12". The new tom mount sytem is extraordinary and improves "floating" tom mount by not making contact with the shell or rim (AKA Rims). Also the lug design is much lower mass than custom Gretsch.

Most important -the price point is much lower than the DWs or custom Gretsch.
Last edited by tomswift on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:48 pm

Being a Gretsch fan of that classic "Great Gretsch Sound", I would love to have the New DW Jazz series. It's one of those things though that if you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford one!
:D Maybe in a few years I might be able to find a used one. I'm a little upset with Gretsch right now in that it is exremely difficult to get add on drums from them or extra parts. I have a Renown Maple set and one of my bandmates bent my 12" rim. I ordered a new one and it might be here by Christmas. I ordered a 16" floor tom and they tell me it may take 6 mos. :x
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:51 pm

Have I mentioned these DW Jazz's look badazz?
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I Agree, good description Mitchell!
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
tomswift
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:20 am

Gretschman1 wrote:Being a Gretsch fan of that classic "Great Gretsch Sound", I would love to have the New DW Jazz series. It's one of those things though that if you have to ask how much it costs you can't afford one!
:D Maybe in a few years I might be able to find a used one. I'm a little upset with Gretsch right now in that it is exremely difficult to get add on drums from them or extra parts. I have a Renown Maple set and one of my bandmates bent my 12" rim. I ordered a new one and it might be here by Christmas. I ordered a 16" floor tom and they tell me it may take 6 mos. :x

You might try Dennis at Long Island drum Center Tel: 516-694-5432. I'm sure he can get Gretsch parts VERY quickly.
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:22 am

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:26 am

The Gretsch service does worry me, which to their credit DW is very good at. I think DW may have designed a goodun here worth further investigation. The model is obviously still too new for that many of us to have played them and discuss the practical pro's and cons, but maybe DW have come up with a kit just about worth the price tag if it really can deliver(ie live, studio, across style boundaries.....character etc) which is all we really want. I think it was a mistake to call the drums "Jazz", and even if again by mistake, the whole drum community seem to be directly playing the Grestch v DW comparison which to me isn't good for the brand either.

Maybe they should of called them Collectors II, or vintage elite or something, but It's already clear to me "Jazz" has severed the natural interest from anyone other than those who play at least a bit of jazz.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:36 pm

shine.fm-youth wrote:and switch their snare strainer with a trick

but that's just me

Thanks for the intro to the Domino Retroplate which does just that!

www.dominoretroplate.com