The new DW Jazz series?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:45 am

What do you guy's think of the new Jazz series then? I had a play on a kit recently and was suitably impressed.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:25 am

It's basically DW's interpretation of a Gretsch USA kit in my opinion. Diecast hoops rounder bearing edges etc. If I was going to go DW That's the line I would purchase. They as always have a great selection of sizes. Better than Gretsch.
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Paiste and Sabian Cymbals
http://www.easystreetband.biz
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:49 pm

I agree with you. I'm really considering swapping my Collectors kit in for them. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who owns a set and played them in.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Drumosaurus
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:22 pm

I don't know, I would rather get one of those new fangled "circular" drums from pj.
R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan. You will be missed.
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:33 pm

honestly I stoped looking at DW when I found all these "unheard of" drum companies like Medicine Man.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
shine.fm-youth
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:39 pm

i've never found DW to be that awesome...
sure i wouldn't mind a DW set
but i would change their big clunky lugs to tube lugs
and switch their snare strainer with a trick

but that's just me
drums - pacific LX
cymbals - saluda black mist, voodoo
pedals - axis, iron cobra
gear - DW, rock n' sock
sticks - vic firth
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm sure they are great drums. But if I were ordering custom drums... I would like to have some knowledge of the the craftsman who builds the instrument. So, I have to agree with "I love cheese and drums". Medicine man, all the way. PJ will build anything you want to your exact specifications. True custom work. He genuinely cares about matching the instrument to the needs of the individual artist. :D
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:51 am

Ok so PJ did well from the free advertising, I'm sure he makes a great Drum. But just saying GO PJ is a barnum statement that can be applied to any thread on the entire forum. You sure PJ isn't paying you guy's to "Bloggertise?" This strategy is being used by all companies these day's. MM drums do seem to be mentioned a heck of a lot on DML.
I play Drums and get excited about them. I played on a set of these Jazz set's once and enjoyed it. Maybe tempted to get a set. I come on to DML wanting to discuss the sonic and aesthetic virtues of DW JAZZ drums? Some people are put off by DW. Cool. I don't like Mapex products. It's in the sound and the look of them. I may stick my hand up here and admit that I may have been a little outspoken on this. But also honestly by being a member of this forum I have been persuaded to look at Tama more closely. I've tried them and still they don't fit for me. Maybe I will look at MM drums (although I feel a little put off right now) but I live in the UK so maybe it's not so practical right now. And ultimately for the record there is simply not a modern kit out there that will make me sell my 70's luddies or my 60's Downbeats but I don't ever want to tour them so I look to modern gear for that. So get over it! Quit selling and hating please. Has anyone really checked these Jazz kit's out yet and what do you think?.
antiunderscores
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:07 am

Steaky wrote:Ok so PJ did well from the free advertising, I'm sure he makes a great Drum. But just saying GO PJ is a barnum statement that can be applied to any thread on the entire forum. You sure PJ isn't paying you guy's to "Bloggertise?" This strategy is being used by all companies these day's. MM drums do seem to be mentioned a heck of a lot on DML.
I play Drums and get excited about them. I played on a set of these Jazz set's once and enjoyed it. Maybe tempted to get a set. I come on to DML wanting to discuss the sonic and aesthetic virtues of DW JAZZ drums? Some people are put off by DW. Cool. I don't like Mapex products. It's in the sound and the look of them. I may stick my hand up here and admit that I may have been a little outspoken on this. But also honestly by being a member of this forum I have been persuaded to look at Tama more closely. I've tried them and still they don't fit for me. Maybe I will look at MM drums (although I feel a little put off right now) but I live in the UK so maybe it's not so practical right now. And ultimately for the record there is simply not a modern kit out there that will make me sell my 70's luddies or my 60's Downbeats but I don't ever want to tour them so I look to modern gear for that. So get over it! Quit selling and hating please. Has anyone really checked these Jazz kit's out yet and what do you think?.
dont forget creature drums
Zildjian, Wuhan & Istanbul cymbals
Pearl & Mirage kit.
Crappiato Snare
Steve's Back! ..............kinda
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:22 am

Steaky wrote: come on to DML wanting to discuss the sonic and aesthetic virtues of DW JAZZ drums?

I play jazz on occasion. I know a guy who has a set of the new DW Jazz series drums. He seems pretty fond of them. I've never played them myself, so I really do not have anything to contribute.

Aside from that, you've been a member hear for over a year. In that time, I think it would be more than obvious that t there really are NOT a lot of jazz cats on this board. This board is made up of a large contingent of younger drummers who play heavier music. This probably, statistically speaking, is not the place to give you the best odds of getting a lot of feedback on these specific drums.

On the Medicine Man side of the story, there are quite a few people here who have had positive experiences with these drums and the builder of these drums, who is also a moderator on this board. I agree that coming to this thread and telling you to get a MM is the wrong way to address your question, but going back to my first point, there are a lot of people here who do not exactly adhere to internet conversation etiquette.

I would understand being turned off to a product if there were negative reviews of the product, but to think that PJ actually pays people to fluff his product is ridiculous. Have you seen how many people here fluff Saluda? Bottom line, if you don't want to buy a product because of a conspiracy theory, that's on you. As a Medicine Man endorser, I have an self imposed obligation to defend the product I believe in.
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:48 am

Jazz drums is just a title for a line of drums. I play electro rock crossover but I don't consider these drums untouchable just because of the title. Anyway I think they make these kits in all sizes to cater for all types of music. But to hear from a Jazz player about these drums would be great. Surly already this outlines a great mistake by DW in giving the drums the Jazz name.

On your second point...........yeah ok I get it. But if I can't ask about a DW Drum kit here where can I? It is a drum forum after all and while I accept the majority are younger, there is still hundreds if not thousands of more seasoned players here.

Importantly I was not attacking PJ personally or MM products. Apologies if it came over that way.

The sudden wave of 'play Medicine Man' did feel a little unwarranted considering the original question. I listened to a radio program the other day about companies(inc Majors) harnessing the power of the internet way beyond just websites. They really are moving into Blog sites right now and employing/rewarding bloggers to as you put it "fluff" they're products. It's not at all far fetched as this form of advertising works on much more personal level and has proved to be highly effective. But I agree to lay this on PJ is over the top and I apologies again. I firmly believe(and I've said it before) that PJ is a valuable addition to DML. Actually I have found DML a great place to discover new and exciting drum makers. And yes Saluda do seem to be the trend in alt cymbals on here.

As for the conspiracy theory thing well business is business, but if I did find that a company had employed that blogg strategy, then it would mar my view of them. It would just feel a bit underhanded somehow especially to infiltrate such a great community such as ours.

So what about these blasted JAZZ KITS?????
rufus4dagruv
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:20 am

Steaky wrote:Jazz drums is just a title for a line of drums. I play electro rock crossover but I don't consider these drums untouchable just because of the title. Anyway I think they make these kits in all sizes to cater for all types of music. But to hear from a Jazz player about these drums would be great. Surly already this outlines a great mistake by DW in giving the drums the Jazz name.

On your second point...........yeah ok I get it. But if I can't ask about a DW Drum kit here where can I? It is a drum forum after all and while I accept the majority are younger, there is still hundreds if not thousands of more seasoned players here.

Importantly I was not attacking PJ personally or MM products. Apologies if it came over that way.

The sudden wave of 'play Medicine Man' did feel a little unwarranted considering the original question. I listened to a radio program the other day about companies(inc Majors) harnessing the power of the internet way beyond just websites. They really are moving into Blog sites right now and employing/rewarding bloggers to as you put it "fluff" they're products. It's not at all far fetched as this form of advertising works on much more personal level and has proved to be highly effective. But I agree to lay this on PJ is over the top and I apologies again. I firmly believe(and I've said it before) that PJ is a valuable addition to DML. Actually I have found DML a great place to discover new and exciting drum makers. And yes Saluda do seem to be the trend in alt cymbals on here.

As for the conspiracy theory thing well business is business, but if I did find that a company had employed that blogg strategy, then it would mar my view of them. It would just feel a bit underhanded somehow especially to infiltrate such a great community such as ours.

So what about these blasted JAZZ KITS?????

Great points. My apologies, as I re-read my post, it came of a bit harsh. If I come across any other reviews that could be helpful, I will link them up. Take care.
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:29 am

I've been known to play jazz gigs (when they come about, the jazz scene here in austin is tiny and insular). I played a kit recently. They share some sound characteristics with old gretsch drums. I think the rounder bearing edge and lack of reinforceent rings is responsible for this. they're good drums if you want to go for a "bop" sound and crank them up to higher pitches without choking the drums. they have a bit more high frequency response than other dw drums I've played, which always seemed "fatter" sounding if you will. they're quality gear. not sure I'd recommend them if you like tuning your drums really slack.
Steve@NDC
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:33 am

Shoot Billy Ward an email. He has these drums, and should be willing to share this thoughts with you.
http://www.billyward.com/contact.html
Cheers.
Gretschman1
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:51 am

I'm not hating DW, I think they make great drums! I just think they are overpriced for what you get. PJ is not paying me to promote anything either! I'm just going by PJ's reputation for excellent work for members of this forum. To me, if you are going to spend the amount of money you would spend on DW's why not design something "truly custom" according to your own specifications. (Rims, finish, bearing edges, lugs, etc.) instead of purchasing any pre-designed series at custom prices. I'm sure Creature or any of the other small custom shops would be competitively priced with DW as well.
David White
Gretsch Renown Maple
Pacific CXR
Pork Pie BOB Snare
Alesis DM5 Pro