cleaning your babies

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:21 pm

ok guys i love your feedback on anything i ask! cuz i just love learnin! [assholes not welcome] well i just wanted to know how u guys care for your set ie. cleaning shells, lacquer, hardware, etc...this includes cymbals too! i personally dont like cleaning my cymbals...wat do u think?
lets drum fast and sexy :]
screamkevin

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:51 pm

It's all up to you.

I use Fender Guitar Polish on my drums, it's great and leaves no residue. I clean my Saluda Cymbals with Zims or Groove Juice, then a quick application of Pledge keeps the dust & fingerprints away. I'm not too good about the hardware, mostly just a quick wipedown with a soft cloth.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:02 pm

I have a satin oil finish DW so I usually use furniture polish and it works just fine. I also use Zims for my cymbals. As for the hardware Ill use a watered down solution of Zims . I usually apply it with a rag.
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
wg93081
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:31 pm

At the Vintage Drum Show in St. Charles about 3 years ago I purchased TRICK drum and Hardware polish along with the polishing towels and they work great. It really gets the drums really shiny and the hardware sparkles to a mirror finish. As for the cymbals I use the PAISTE cymbal cleaner. 8)
Will Geronimo
Drums, Cymbals, Percussion
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:12 am

I use Mr Seen furniture polish on drums. Aluminium cleaner on hardware and cymbals. If the cymbal is very dirty I use ShineOn cymbal cleaner.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
vargasdrumbeast
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:45 pm

For my drum shells, I dont use any special cleaner I just usesome windex and a handy wipe then towel dry them.

My advice on cymbals however is to not get "Groove Juice" it does not clean them. :shock: I REPEAT DO NOT GET GROOVE JUICE!!
The Alien Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:30 pm

Depending on your drum finish, I use any generic cleaner (windex or invisible glass) then I wax them with car wax after they are clean. Then I use a california duster every time they come out of the case. Keeps em lookin good IMO. Just wax every year or so, the windex takes off the old layer of wax.

Hardware gets dusted with the duster also. Usually doesn't ever need more if I keep them clean. On the rare occasion they get a spill or someting I use invisible glass.

Cymbals I use Bar Keepers friend when they get dirty (once, maybe twice a year) and use the duster in between. I'm tellin ya, the duster is the quick and easy way to go and doesn't scratch your finish like alot of things will (even towels!)
http://www.myspace.com/thealiendrummer

Starclassic Birch -- Mapex Pro- M Rock -- Ludwig Rocker -- Roland SPD-S -- Pearl ICON Rack -- Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Saluda & Wuhon Cymbals -- Yamaha PTX8
dougthedrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:06 pm

Hey all.I use a dusting cloth and a little bit of pledge on my kit,and I really don't clean my cymbals alot.I have the zildian titaniums,and they can not be cleaned with cymbal cleaner.Cymabl cleaners of any type WILL REMOVE THE TITANIUM FINISH From them.Just to let you know.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pearl
Evans
Zildian
Sabain
AHEAD Sticks :roll:
seandude
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:24 pm

i dont simple as that there at home noone can see i dont care as long as the sounds okay
safe sex is in the palm of your hand
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:26 pm

Pledge on my drums(Lacquer finish)

Wrights copper cream(the best results and $4.99 a jar)

I wipe mt hardware the next day after a show(pretty often)so,they need need a massive cleaning.

NO GROOVE JUICE :shock: OR ANYTHING ELSE THAN STATED ABOVE :idea:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
drumdan
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:06 pm

I like Zymol hd cleanse cleaner, and "creame" wax for the lacquer. It looks amazing!
DaveDWdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:23 am

a little windex on a soft terry cloth will work fine
Zim
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:21 am

I have a satin finish Sonor kit so I was told by the Sonor people to use baby wipes on the shells and I use windex and a clean cloth for my hardware.
Cam86
new
new

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:50 am

I use baby wipes on my yamah kit and it works fine. But i dont clean my hardware. It doesnt get nearly as dirty from shows as the actual kit does...not sure why. But for my cymbols i use the old school 'ShineOn - cymbol polish' from HQ percussion products out of St.Louis, MO. It works great.
-Stars & Boulevards-
PDP9000
groove master
groove master

Post Mon May 28, 2007 2:33 pm

for my hardware i ues groove juice and for my zildjain cymbals i ues the zildjian cymbal polish and for my drums i ues satin oil finish