New sonor force 3007 drum set tom setup help

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

sashowal
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:30 am

I have just purchased a sweet new Sonor Force 3007 (maple) kit that will be getting here at the end of the week. I don't really want to use the factory heads, so I am looking into purchasing new ones.

Can anyone who has experience with these drums tell me if you have found the overtones on the toms to be manageable, or do you need to dampen the heads with moongels or dampening rings (like an Evans EC2 style head)?

For those who are curious, the set is in the midnight fade and has 2x 22x17.5 kick drums; 10x8 and 12x9 rack toms; 14x14 and 16x16 floor toms; and a 5.5x14 snare.

Thanks for your help!
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:24 am

pics! and remo pinstripes are good, i have no experience with evans though
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:00 am

Sweet Sonor makes great drums the only thing I wont get from them is their giant step pedals.(way too expensive)
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
rritter
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:25 am

I have the Force 3007’s in the Maple finish and I replaced the heads with Remo Emp’s on the toms, Ambassador on the snare, and a Power Stroke 3 on the bass drum. I must say the stock Remo UT heads that came with the kit sounded quite good though. I’ve been playing since 1964 and the 3007’s are great, along with my Gretsch kit one of the very best I’ve owned. You will love them.

My Kit
Now playing Slingerland, Gretsch, & Sonor Drums
http://www.j4fmusic.com
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:31 pm

are those all wuhan cymbals?

how do you like them?
what's the ride like?
Check out my new tunes!

myspace.com/anjillapiazza

Ludwig classic maple drums
Supraphonic Snare
Regal Tip and Vic Firth Sticks
I proudly endorse Soultone Handmade Turkish cymbals
Alan_
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm

wow, they are. I knew they made them, but I've never played them.
rritter
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:19 pm

The Wuhans are great and at less than half the price of the big 3. I have several Zildjians but for a bright cutting sound the Wuhans are hard to beat. A great value. But this thread is about those wonderful 3007’s. I’m loven them!
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:19 pm

As far as overtones goes, tuning is the main thing there. With good tuning technique, you can eliminate almost all of the bad overtones. I use half pieces of moongel to control the sustain and the sustain only. The bearing edges on mine are very good, so tuning and overtones have not been an issue. Any standard 1 or 2 ply head would be great as they can covered in moongel for the "pinstripe" sound or don't have to use any muffling for a more open sound... in short, just more versatile. I hope you really love you kit (although I already know you will), and the finish is hot.

TJ
Sonor Force 3007
Saluda Cymbals (14" Diamond Hi Hats, 16" Diamond Fast Crash, 17" Protoype Crash, 20"Earthworks Dry Ride)
Iron Cobra Pedals
DW hardware
boyd_s
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:23 pm

rritter wrote:The Wuhans are great and at less than half the price of the big 3. I have several Zildjians but for a bright cutting sound the Wuhans are hard to beat. A great value. But this thread is about those wonderful 3007’s. I’m loven them!

I thought that wuhan makes a very dark cymbal... at least thats what they claim.
Sonor Force 3007
Saluda Cymbals (14" Diamond Hi Hats, 16" Diamond Fast Crash, 17" Protoype Crash, 20"Earthworks Dry Ride)
Iron Cobra Pedals
DW hardware
rritter
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:48 pm

Nope, the Wuhan’s are very bright, cutting, with tons of tone & volume.

As for the 3007’s they are at their best when tuned wide open. The resonance is pure music to my ears and doing something like putting Moon Gel on them would ruin the sound for me. After all it is a drum right. Let them resonate with all that the maple shells can give.

As for tuning I use a Drum Dial on the toms and tune both the two ply Emps and the single ply UT resonate heads to a tension of 70. Then a little tweaking by ear and I’m set. My drums are 10, 12, 13, & 16 so this is a low resonate tone, just right for classic rock and country.

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:46 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies. The kit sounds awesome! I'm still waiting on one of the two kick drums coming in (for now I'm just using my old double pedal), but I'll try and post a picture when it gets here.

For the toms, I put Evans G2 heads on the batter side and resonant black heads on the resonant side. There definitely is a small high overtone coming from them, but you can't really hear it a few feet away. I tried 1 moongel and I think that dried it out a bit too much. I might try 1/2, but it probably isn't necessary if I could ever learn how to tune the heads well. I think something like an EC2 or a pinstripe wouldn't please me either, because they don't need a ton of damping.

The 16" floor tom is killer, by the way.
Jimbob2020
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:58 pm

IS that American maple???
DW Collector's
Ludwig Classic Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau
Meinl Byzance, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Platinum Cymbals
DW 5k & 9k Hardware
Evans and Remo Heads
Vic Firth
sashowal
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Jimbob2020 wrote:IS that American maple???

Sonor makes no specific claim that the maple is North American (they do for the Delite series), so my guess is that it probably isn't. They are maple of some flavor though and they have a wonderful sound for the price range, so I'm not complaining!
Jimbob2020
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:23 pm

sashowal wrote:
Jimbob2020 wrote:IS that American maple???

Sonor makes no specific claim that the maple is North American (they do for the Delite series), so my guess is that it probably isn't. They are maple of some flavor though and they have a wonderful sound for the price range, so I'm not complaining!

That's cool... Whatever sound your looking for is what you should get.. :)
DW Collector's
Ludwig Classic Maple
Yamaha Stage Custom Nouveau
Meinl Byzance, Zildjian A Custom, Zildjian Platinum Cymbals
DW 5k & 9k Hardware
Evans and Remo Heads
Vic Firth
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:33 pm

boyd_s wrote:
rritter wrote:The Wuhans are great and at less than half the price of the big 3. I have several Zildjians but for a bright cutting sound the Wuhans are hard to beat. A great value. But this thread is about those wonderful 3007’s. I’m loven them!

I thought that wuhan makes a very dark cymbal... at least thats what they claim.

Their chinas are very dark and trashy.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage