Boy am I confused

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Boy am I confused

Postby tomyco » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:30 pm

I've been looking at used 5 pc Mapex Pro M Drums sets now for awhile, I wanted to get a high end used set for my home studio. They are about $800.00 w/o hardware & cymbals. I've heard very good things about this set. I am not a drummer myself I wanted to get a good set for my studio.

I just came across a 4 year old 7 pc Yamaha Stage Custom in very good condtion, It includes 700 series hardware,. throne and 3 B8 Sabian cymbals.( I figured I can sell the cymbals on Ebay and get better cymbals) All for a price of $600.00.

This sound like a GREAT price, I don't know a lot about drums. How would you compare this to the Mapex Pro M, Would a professional drummer not want to play these? Is this a good deal?

I would appreciate all opinions on this before it is sold, als ant additional questions I should ask the seller. Thanks!
tomyco
beginner
beginner

Boy am I confused

Help our forum grow and visit our sponsors pages!

Help DML grow and visit pages on left!

Postby AmnestysLowEnd » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Both kits are great, the Pro M is all maple and the yamaha is a hybrid of 4 woods I believe. You at least get hardware with the stage custom but the cymbals are terrible and have no resale value.

The Pro M is a truly professional kit but unless yo are planning on playing them your self it makes no sense to even bother with hardware and cymbals because most drummers prefer their own.
7 piece Pearl EXR
Saluda cymbals
AmnestysLowEnd
session drummer
session drummer

Postby vincemie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:38 pm

a yamaha stage custom is a lower rung on the gear spectrum, it dosent mean they are bad, it just means they are probably a bit lower quality than the mapex in other words if you want a "high end" kit a stage custom is not one. also sabian b8's are entry level cymbals and will break easier and not sound as good as say sabian aax, hhx or aa for example. try looking for a used mapex of the same kind and you will find it cheaper and maybe you will find it with hardware and cymbals
good luck!!
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer

Postby sapazi13 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:44 am

I have a mapex pro m, and personally, i love it. However for this situation, its hard to decide. The pro m is all maple and very high quality... I've never really noticed the yamaha much, but for $200 cheaper, i would take a look
NeighborSpaceman wrote:
You only live once, so make a huge f***ing drumset and beat the hell out of it while you still can!
sapazi13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby johnisonfire » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:50 pm

One advantage of the Yamaha coming with beginner cymbals is that you can ebay them, along with whatever hardware you may want to replace and make some more of the money back that you spent. And then use that money to go towards better cymbals/stands. That's what I pretty much did with my set over the course of 6 months after purchasing it.
Set 1: Self built custom drum set
Set 2: Ludwig Accent
Cymbals: Meinl Byzance Traditional, Meinl Byzance Jazz
johnisonfire
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby SlackBackLazy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:22 am

The yamaha is a good kit and a great bargin, but the mapex pro m is much better. Depends how much you want to spend.
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby BR523 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:15 am

I've heard from people, some drummers and some studio owners, that Yamahas are pretty well known for being the perfect "studio kit." From experience, the last two studios I recorded in both had Yamaha Stage Customs and they sounded great. I personally don't know too much about Mapex but I guess it really depends on what you want to do with how much money you have. Maybe go for the cheaper Yamaha and use the extra money you saved to put on really good heads and get a nice cymabl or two if you sell the B8s.
Pearl Export
Gretsch Maple Free Floating Snare
Zildjian A
Sabian AAX and Paragon
Pearl Power Shifter Eliminator Single Pedal
Evans heads
VicFirth 5An

www.myspace.com/theabsolutezeros
BR523
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Asdex » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 am

I believe the pro m is much better! B8 is not even a good cymbals to be played with! I tried playing on stage customs for lots of times and they just sound ok and i'm not that impressed with their hardwares, so probably (since i haven't tried any mapex yet :oops:) the pro m would be much better!
Tama Superstar SX52
Tama Warlord Masai Snare
Tama Iron Cobra Double Pedal
Zildjian A custom, A Zildjian, K Hybrid, FX, ZXT and ZBT cymbals
Remo and Evans heads
Asdex
session drummer
session drummer

Postby andybfrank » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Pro M. I had a stage custom. Good kit, but you really want maple over the various woods Yamaha used to use on stage customs. The new stage customs are made of birch, however, which is really popular for recording, so actually new stage customs wouldn't be too bad. It's the Yamaha Recording customs that were so popular for studios. they were made of birch.
andybfrank
drumming adept
drumming adept

Re: Boy am I confused

Postby Sudz » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:43 pm

There is a lot more to consider than just the quality of the shells here...

Tomyco needs these drums for a studio, not for gigging and everyday playing. While the Pro M's will obviously have a more dynamic maple tone to them, they're not going to sound all that much better than the Yammies. I've owned both kits and although the mapex had a wider tuning range, they didn't sound all that much better than the Stage Customs. They're both intermediate kits, they both use the same types of rims, they're both made my reputable and trustworthy companies.... BUT... the yammies offer a lot more customization.

Being that you're running a studio and you'll have many different types of artists using your kit, having 7 drums will allow you to offer a lot of options for drummers to choose from. You also won't have to buy hardware saving you up to $500 depending on how much/ how good quality you want. This should factor in nicely for buying cymbals, right?

Anyways... I think it comes down to going with the mapex's maple shells or the customization and hardware in the yammies.

If both kits are in the same shape, I'd vote for the yammies.

Good luck!
Gretsch Renown 9x12, 16x16, 20x22
Yamaha Stage Custom 8x10, 9x12, 16x16, 17x22
C&C Custom 6x14 maple snare
Gretsch Renown 6.5x14 maple snare
Porkpie piglite 6x14 clear acrylic snare
Sabian HHX and Zildjian K cymbals
Sudz
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Brother_Bong » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:00 pm

Sudz wrote:There is a lot more to consider than just the quality of the shells here...

Tomyco needs these drums for a studio, not for gigging and everyday playing. While the Pro M's will obviously have a more dynamic maple tone to them, they're not going to sound all that much better than the Yammies. I've owned both kits and although the mapex had a wider tuning range, they didn't sound all that much better than the Stage Customs. They're both intermediate kits, they both use the same types of rims, they're both made my reputable and trustworthy companies.... BUT... the yammies offer a lot more customization.

Being that you're running a studio and you'll have many different types of artists using your kit, having 7 drums will allow you to offer a lot of options for drummers to choose from. You also won't have to buy hardware saving you up to $500 depending on how much/ how good quality you want. This should factor in nicely for buying cymbals, right?

Anyways... I think it comes down to going with the mapex's maple shells or the customization and hardware in the yammies.

If both kits are in the same shape, I'd vote for the yammies.

Good luck!

I'm gonna have to back this post, he said it exactly like I was thinking it. Much more versatility, and more gear from the get go. The fact that it's for studio use is the real seller. A decent studio can make cardboard boxes sound good. As long as they are sturdy and will hold tuning( have someone check the bearing edges), I vote the Yammies.\
MEDICINE MAN AZ Endorsed, TRICK PEDALS, ZILDJIAN, SABIAN, SALUDA, SUPERNATURALS, ASAPH, WUHAN, SILVERFOX, BUD LIGHT

Brother_Bong
groove master
groove master

Postby drummerduba » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:20 pm

i too would vote the yammies based on the above post

this is coming from a mapex player
Silverfox Drumsticks UK Artist
Soultone Cymbals UK Artist
drummerduba
groove master
groove master

Postby dkmfan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:03 pm

go with the yamaha, they make a fantastic kit. They are extremely durable and will not be any bit a waste of your money. If there are any problems with the kit even though it is older, Yamaha will be nothing but useful and help out with anything that you need. For the money, Yamaha kits are the way to go --> they make great cheap kits, and fantastic higher end kits. :D
dkmfan
drumming adept
drumming adept

Postby Steaky » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:05 pm

Yamaha +1 over here. Yammy Drums have the safest drum sound of any company. They are so easy in any studio setting and will do literally anything. Stage customs are great value and will tune up nicely. They also have Yammies time proven hardware and mounting bit's on them and will take work easily.

I don't want to confuse the issue, but I must Just add that I recently recorded on a set of Birch Gretsch Catalina's. These sit in the same price category as the Mapex and Yamaha kit's and they totally shocked me just how good they were. They responded like drums far above their class in tone, tuning and character. Maybe it's worth just looking at them before you make the leap.
You can own the greatest drum ever made, but it won't change how well you can play it!
Steaky
session drummer
session drummer

Postby screamkevin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Yamaha. I just say that because I own them, and I'll put my Stage Customs with pro heads and good tuning up against anyone's drums any day of the week.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.
screamkevin

Next

Return to Drum Set